home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Galaxy's Greatest Comic: 2000 AD

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Awesome cool Brit sci-fi or a waste of fine Brit paper?

Zarjaz
94%
Crap (Quaequam Blag!)
6%

Total votes : 18

Galaxy's Greatest Comic: 2000 AD

Postby Bill Swansea on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Struggling to find a poll, though I'm willing to believe one exists, so feel free to kerble.

Though I don't read it anymore, 2000 AD is probably my favourite comic. From about 1999 to a few years ago I must have collected a good couple of issues, and while it very rarely wasn't hit or miss with its stories, there was always quality in there.

Also everything about it is just plain cooler than everything else.

Some of my favourite characters and stories included anything involving Judge Dredd or Sinister/Dexter, Thirteen, Slaine, Carver Hale, the Future Shocks/Pulp Sci Fi/
Tales of Teleguuth, Button Man, Caballistics, Inc., Lobster Random and well, I could go on. There was one involving a prison and zombies I really liked.

What do you think Earthlets?

(I'm quite willing for this thread to turn into a place where me and Tom Alpha can discuss all things 2000 AD at length).

(Also the image I used was not chosen at random, it was the first prog I ever bought. D'awww.)
Last edited by Bill Swansea on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Re: Galaxy's Greatest Comic: 2000 AD

Postby circle_ruler on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:14 pm

Ace Garp, Johnny Alpha, Judge Death, Torquemada, Rogue Trooper, psychotic mutant chimps, The Titan of Peem, dinosaurs, those faceless things on the place outside our time and space that spat acid at people, and so on. this comic damaged my brain at an early age for which i am eternally grateful.

NC
Dudley wrote:Are we "meant" to wear trousers? Are we "meant" to sit in metal tubes that travel 30,000 feet above the earth?
circle_ruler
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Bill Swansea on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:42 pm

circle_ruler wrote:Torquemada

This got me thinking about Nemesis, which got me thinking about it's artwork, which got me thinking about the absolutely badass Deadlock mini series with the stunning artwork. Wish I could find some pics online.

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea

Postby Red Square on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:25 pm

not familiar with this, but based on that cover i really wanna give it a spin!

is this still in print?
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Bill Swansea on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Red Square wrote:not familiar with this, but based on that cover i really wanna give it a spin!

is this still in print?

Yeah based on my estimate, they should be heading towards their 3000th issue by now, give me a bit of time and I'll make a list of great collections of stories to recommend that are available as graphic novels.

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea

Postby circle_ruler on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:21 pm

Red Square wrote:not familiar with this, but based on that cover i really wanna give it a spin!

man, i will see if my bro still has his issues stashed away somewhere and i will try to get some of them to you somehow. you need to see this comic.
Dudley wrote:Are we "meant" to wear trousers? Are we "meant" to sit in metal tubes that travel 30,000 feet above the earth?
circle_ruler
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Bill Swansea on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 am

circle_ruler wrote:

man, i will see if my bro still has his issues stashed away somewhere and i will try to get some of them to you somehow. you need to see this comic.

Yes please.

Here some good collections that I think are all available -

Judge Dredd - The Complete Case Files Vol. 5
Judge Dredd - America
Sinister/Dexter - Gunshark Vacation
Sinister/Dexter - Murder 101
Sinister Dexter - Eurocrash
Judge Death - Young Death: Boyhood Superfiend
Thirteen
Carver Hale
The Complete Nemesis the Warlock

I could go on. I wish Tom Alpha would show up to help me out.

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea

Postby Tommy Alpha on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:03 am

Quaequam Blag!

I’ve got a number 4 cartridge waiting for any Grexnix or nonscrot thinking of voting crap.

Been getting it every week for maybe the last two decades and in many ways it’s been the only consistent thing in my life over that time. The galaxy’s greatest offered me something that was for the most part missing from US comic- 3 dimensional characters. Johnny Alpha is the perfect example. Starting off as a mutant Clint Eastwood/ Judge Dredd in space, he was quickly revealed to be a wounded child, hated and abused by his father, capable of anger, bitterness, love, blind rage( which you saw the brutality and ultimately hollow victory of) and sacrifice.

Also another great thing is that when characters died, they died. Rico, McGruder, Giant (snr), Kraken, Wulf (old cucumber!), Saidwell Rhys, Maximan, Empath Corey, Nemesis, Torquemada, The Grobendonk, Glyph and of course dear old Johnny himself to name a few. Wynwood and Cord got their arms amputated/ eyes torn out and Ace Garp was sent into the heart of the sun. All gone, for the most part.

As much as my literary influences can range to the ‘lofty’ and/ or pretentious, 2000AD, John Wagner, Early Alan Moore, Alan Grant et al are just as important to me and have shaped my idea of characterisation and storytelling as much as anything else I could care to name. It is a British institution, one of the few things I would consider as ‘unfuckwithable’ and one of my favourite things on this planet.

I’m posting this from work so my gushing is thankfully truncated, but expect me to add more to this and bore you all to tears.

Not crap

Also, here is the cover of the prog that came out on the day I was born:
Last edited by Tommy Alpha on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby sparky on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:57 am

2000AD was and probably still is (I have not read it for ove 25 years) gloriously uneven, the muckiest pulp regularly sitting next to the mindbending great. It has been so long I'm bound to forget most, so here's my incomplete list of favourites:

Judge Dredd - my "classic" period is the long one from the start through to Necropolis. The Judge Child I remember particularly fondly, fnar.
Halo Jones - despite not having read it in ten years on writing this I immediately recall chunks of dialogue, panels and pure fantastic visual imagining by Moore and Ian Gibson.
Zenith - when I last checked, still lamentably out-of-print, probably the best play-around with the superhero genre after Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns.
Nemesis the Warlock - the early stuff, anyway. Thought it got a bit lost later one, a familiar path with Pat Mills characters - the guy just gets bored, I think. Kev O'Neill, man!
Robohunter - perfectly encapsulated the weird British version of American the comic created.
ABC Warriors - particularly The Black Hole. Trash, violent classic drawn by Simon Bisley and SMS.
D.R. &Quinch - very funny Alan Moore strip about juvenile delinquent aliens
Bad Company - doomy war story written by Pete Milligan drawn in brutally heavy blacks by Brett Ewins and Brendan McCarthy.
Hewligan's Haircut - nuttiness.

How good is Mike McMahon? Berserk!

Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!
sparky

Postby E. Norma Stitz on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:03 pm

Those pencils are nice - reminds me of Dave Gibbons ala Give me Liberty. Mike McMahon you say? I'll have to check his stuff out.
E. Norma Stitz
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Bill Swansea on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:20 pm

sparky wrote:How good is Mike McMahon? Berserk!

I used to be a big reader of Sonic the Comic when I was younger and a few years ago I found my old piles of the comics and noticed Mike McMahon was a massive contributor to it. 2000 AD and STC both had the same publisher at the time I believe, but all the same, strange.

I'm not big into his work that much, but I like some of his older stuff before his work became really weird and shapey.

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea

Postby sparky on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:31 pm

McMahon's a funny one, because whilst he's one of my favourites, I'm stuck to think of a single, collected comic that he did that I'd call a masterpiece. His stuff on Dredd was (is?) great, but always mixed with others; he's worked on a lot of throwaway stuff. Probably the biggest chunk of his work you can find in a trade paperback is a comic called The Last American written by Wagner and Grant. The story's solid, the artwork is (to me) phenomenal, really distinctive.

Funny that you should mention Dave Gibbons, as I'm pretty sure he writes the introduction to this comic, which is mainly about McMahon; apparently they used to share a studio.

Bill Swansea wrote:I'm not big into his work that much, but I like some of his older stuff before his work became really weird and shapey.

"Weird and shapey" is a nice way of describing it; I like his older stuff, but his weird and shapey stuff is my favourite. His work's just so near-abstract in the context:

Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!
sparky

Postby GypsumFantastic on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Borag Thungg Earthlets!

I started reading this in the early 80's and stopped somewhere in the 90's, in the issue 900's somewhere. I absolutely loved it in my youth, every birthday meant a trip to Forbidden Planet when it was in Denmark Street and spending a large chunk of my money buying the Titan Books collections. I've still got them all in a wardrobe along with the weeklies and annuals and what not. The ravages of time are starting to show and they're starting to look a bit sorry for themselves. I've collected them all digitally since then and still enjoy a read of some of the classics.

Rogue Trooper was a favourite but couldn't stand the later version of it where he was called Friday or whatever. Slaine was another but the later stories I stopped caring about. Same with the ABC Warriors. I think they could make a good film out of Robo Hunter now with todays CGI. I think after all the big names packed up bags and left for the USA contributed to me stopping buying it. Although from what I've seen of some of the latest comics it looks like the quality has picked up.

I'd enjoy reading some of the new stories since I stopped buying it. The last big Dredd story I read was Origins, I hear that story arc has continued on but I don't know which trades have come out that have collected them. Hopefully one of you helpful Squaxx Dek Thargo's can point me in the right direction.

Dave Bishop's book Thrill Power Overload was a very interesting read and I recommend it to any fans out there. A bit of a warts and all history of the comic. It's like a drunk uncle telling you dark family secrets.

The new Dredd film is being made, that makes me nervous. This fan made film looks pretty damn good

Judge Minty

2000ad? Totally Zarjaz!

(semi large waffles for the deplorable way they treated the creators of the strips when it came to royalties)
Last edited by GypsumFantastic on Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
In girum imus nocte et consumimer igni!
GypsumFantastic
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby Bill Swansea on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:55 pm

GypsumFantastic wrote:
Dave Bishop's book Thrill Power Overload was a very interesting read and I recommend it to any fans out there. A bit of a warts and all history of the comic. It's like a drunk uncle telling you dark family secrets.

This was printed in Judge Dredd Megazine at the time (I guess) of its release. I'm not sure if it contained everything in the book but it was indeed a fucking great read.

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea

Postby Red Square on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:22 pm

i finally started reading the Origins on 2000 AD last night and made it as far as Judge Dredd and liked it quite a bit...will pick back up on Origins tonight starting with Nemesis The Warlock...
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tarandfeathers on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:35 pm

I used to read this religiously when I was young. I remember that if I walked to and from school I could save enough bus fare to get 2000AD and the Megazine every week and two weeks, respectively. It almost certainly warped my mind, I'd like to go back and re-read some.
Don't shun it. Fun it.
tarandfeathers
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Tommy Alpha on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:44 am

sparky wrote:McMahon's a funny one, because whilst he's one of my favourites, I'm stuck to think of a single, collected comic that he did that I'd call a masterpiece. His stuff on Dredd was (is?) great, but always mixed with others; he's worked on a lot of throwaway stuff. Probably the biggest chunk of his work you can find in a trade paperback is a comic called The Last American written by Wagner and Grant. The story's solid, the artwork is (to me) phenomenal, really distinctive.

Funny that you should mention Dave Gibbons, as I'm pretty sure he writes the introduction to this comic, which is mainly about McMahon; apparently they used to share a studio.

Bill Swansea wrote:I'm not big into his work that much, but I like some of his older stuff before his work became really weird and shapey.

"Weird and shapey" is a nice way of describing it; I like his older stuff, but his weird and shapey stuff is my favourite. His work's just so near-abstract in the context:

There are two distinct 'phases' of Mick McMahon's work that really stand out for me

Firstly the woodcut influenced work on early Slaine (Sky Chariots, etc):

and the later stuff (90s), e.g. his work on the Dredd strip 'Holwer'

'Weird and shapey', indeed!

For other great 2000AD artists of a similarly 'unhinged' ilk see also: Belardinelli Image

O'Neill

And Hicklenton

Though, the latters most interesting work seemed to be the stuff he was putting out just before he died.
Tommy Alpha

Postby GypsumFantastic on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 am

Slaine's Sky Chariots is amazing and so is all of McMahon's work from that time. Some of the best and most interesting art to appear in 2000 AD

I remember Hicklenton and also Simon Harrison causing quite a divide in the fans when they appeared. I really liked their styles but as some people said when it came to Harrison's stint on Strontium Dog "if Carlos Ezquerra didn't draw it, it didn't happen" Coln McNeil saved the day during that period which saw Johhny Alpha killed off (the character not PRF'er). I liked Harrison's stuff but as Ezquerra refused to draw Johnny's death (or so I read) I think the strain of weird mad art was too much to bear for some fans at the time. The switching of artists on stories throughout the comic was something that kept you on your toes when reading it each week. Never knowing who was drawing it next, it could be quite disappointing sometimes. A weekly release was the cause of that and artists could never keep up the output to often be able to illustrate whole story lines.

Hicklenton certainly got stronger and stronger as he went on, it's such a shame he left us. He chose assisted suicide to end his years of long suffering with MS. Very sad.

Nice clips from the documentary that was made about him here

http://www.heresjohnnyfilm.com/

Pat Mills one of 2000AD's creators features in that, he recently was made a ‘Visiting Professor in the School of Arts’ by the University Of Liverpool in recognition of his work in British comics. Which is well deserved. He first blew my brain away in Battle writing Charley's War, which stands out as one of the greatest comic stories of British comics history. I was reading that while in primary school and remember telling my teacher in a history lesson about WWI that British Troops were sent in to Russia during the revolution to aid the White Army. She told me I was wrong only to come to me a few days later and apologised, quite stunned I was getting a better history lesson from reading a boy's war comic.

I quite like the idea of subscribing to the comic again but feel like I'd be better off buying trade collections. I think 2000AD is an institution to British comics and it would be a travesty to ever see it go under. The new publisher Rebellion did our comics industry a great service by saving it. I'm off to buy some!
GypsumFantastic
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby Bill Swansea on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:59 am

I'm still trying to collect all the Judge Dredd -The Complete Case Files. Tough work.

Simon Davis was my absolute favorite artist. Loved the messy paint work.

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea

Postby GypsumFantastic on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:33 pm

I've been possessed by a comic buying demon. I have recently started buying the 100 Bullets books. But since reading this thread I've just bought the first two Nikolai Dante books, one from the 2000ad site and the second from amazon, used for the pricely sum of £1.85. The postage was more expensive than the book. I haven't read any Dante before but from looking through some of it it looks pretty good. Sinister Dexter is another I don't know so I'll check that maybe. Dredd is next on the list, there's a couple of books out which follow on from the Origins story that have caught my interest.

I did buy this book last week all about that 2000AD homeboy Alan Moore which has been a good read

Someone has posted the full length documentary on the man on youtube. I've watched it more than once.
GypsumFantastic
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap