home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Galaxy's Greatest Comic: 2000 AD

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Awesome cool Brit sci-fi or a waste of fine Brit paper?

Zarjaz
94%
Crap (Quaequam Blag!)
6%

Total votes : 18

Re: Galaxy's Greatest Comic: 2000 AD

Postby numberthirty on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:That sucks, but it's understanding when the American reviewers - and presumably audiences - insisted on seeing it as a sequel or remake of a stupid Stallone movie, and were liable to point out that, hey, he seems a bit fascist, that can't be right?

For lack of a better way to word it, I think it just didn't click in the states. I felt the same way about The Raid: Redemption.

Endings being a wash doesn't really fly in the states.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:08 pm

numberthirty

Postby GypsumFantastic on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:25 am

That's an interesting article.

A hobby of mine is scanning my old comics and the process of tarting up the images is sometimes a little complicated. One thing I have noticed lately with all the digital reprints coming out is as much as they look nice and new, a lot of the paler and subtle shades are disappearing. i was looking at the latest Hellblazer and V for Vendetta releases and to be honest I found the illegal scans to be better quality in some respects.
In girum imus nocte et consumimer igni!
GypsumFantastic
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby Tommy Alpha on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:39 am

Thanks for the link! Though I would second that maybe some of the retouches come off not so great.

Anyway, there's a doc in the works. Bout time too.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby GypsumFantastic on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Speaking of recolouring, IDW is releasing a series of classic Dredd which doesn't look too bad!

One is coming out on free comic book day. I've never been in a comic shop on one of those days so I'm not sure how it works or what shops get what titles. I'd like to grab the Dredd issue though, which is the Bolland Judge Death story.

I'm looking forward to that documentary.
Last edited by GypsumFantastic on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GypsumFantastic
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby GypsumFantastic on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:28 pm

GypsumFantastic
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby noise&light on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Here is a link to the Ulises Alfonso Farinas artwork that illustrates JUDGE DREDD: City of Courts. I've gotten to hear all the ups and downs of the writing process in the last year because my good buddy Douglas is the writer. It's been fascinating listening to him talk about the process. They are very strict (as they should be) about the series. It's going to be taking place in Los Angeles this time.

https://twitter.com/ulises_f/status/328 ... 52/photo/1
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Tommy Alpha on Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 pm

noise&light wrote:Here is a link to the Ulises Alfonso Farinas artwork that illustrates JUDGE DREDD: City of Courts. I've gotten to hear all the ups and downs of the writing process in the last year because my good buddy Douglas is the writer. It's been fascinating listening to him talk about the process. They are very strict (as they should be) about the series. It's going to be taking place in Los Angeles this time.

https://twitter.com/ulises_f/status/328 ... 52/photo/1

This looks excellent, by the way. Have been meaning to check out some of the ID stuff.

The fantastic Dredd fan film Judge Minty is on youtube. Really great to see Gila Munja on film! Also,one of the actors is a guy I went to 6th form with. I pissed myself laughing when he popped up.

Tommy Alpha

Postby numberthirty on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:35 pm

numberthirty

Postby sparky on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:16 am

A collection of work by Pete Milligan and Brendan McCarthy arrived on my doorstep on yesterday, a bright and demented thing. McCarthy was a favourite who has barely worked on any comics since the early 1990's, moving into film: he is working on the new Mad Max movie with George Miller, appropriate given he was said to be fixated on the Road Warrior. To salute him, I shall post a tatty picture of a cover used in the first Dredd collection that I ever read. 13 year old me fancied the dangerous lady drawn by the bad man!

Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!
sparky

Postby stewie on Sat May 03, 2014 11:00 pm

Finally watched the Karl Urban movie tonight. Fantastic. Great chemistry between Dredd and Cass.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Interesting confirmation on the making of the Dredd film...

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3487383/karl-urban-just-revealed-alex-garland-actually-directed-dredd/

Karl Urban Just Revealed that Alex Garland Actually Directed ‘Dredd’!

Before making his directorial debut Ex Machina, which was followed by this year’s Annihilation, Alex Garland wrote a handful of notable films, including the badass 2012 version of Dredd. Garland was also a producer on the film, and we had heard in the past that he was heavily involved during filming. But did Garland… direct?

Speaking with Joblo, Dredd star Karl Urban held nothing back, dropping the bombshell that Garland actually directed Dredd, not credited director Pete Travis.

“A huge part of the success of Dredd is in fact due to Alex Garland and what a lot of people don’t realize is that Alex Garland actually directed that movie,” Urban told the site.

He continued, “I just hope when people think of Alex Garland’s filmography that Dredd is the first film that he made before Ex Machina. You think about it in those terms; it goes Dredd, Ex Machina, Annihilation.”

Urban also told the site that he still hopes to reprise the role of Judge Dredd in the upcoming live-action television series “Judge Dredd: Mega-City One.”

“There’s so much interest in that particular character and I would dearly love to have the opportunity to get in there and play that again,” said Urban. “There are so many wonderful stories in the 2000 A.D./Judge Dredd canon that we’d be remiss not to have the opportunity to tell them. If it were up to me personally we would have been making Dredd 2 two years ago.”

“The rights holders are in their process of developing their show called Mega City One and we’ve had many discussions and the ball’s in their court,” he added. “Hopefully, they get it together and are able to deliver more of what the audience wants and it would certainly be a privilege and a pleasure to be a part of it.”
numberthirty

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 pm

stewie wrote:Wait, what? I remember Dredd carrying out death sentences on the street for freakin' years. Am I misinformembered?

Five year delay answer!

Yeah, Dredd carried out death sentences on the street all the time. That's why he's a Judge, not just a cop. That's their whole deal. They are judge, jury and executioner. Due process was considered too inefficient to cope with the huge amount of crime being committed in Mega City 1, hence the introduction of Judges who could catch you, sentence you to death and kill you on the spot.

Satire, innit.
Anthony Flack

Postby bishopdante on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Zarjaz

phpBB [media]
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius