Total votes : 122

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:09 am

Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby itchy mcgoo on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:22 pm

If one is feeling particularly masochistic and decides to read the comments on this, I encourage you to keep on slogging past the predictable "his uncle produced jass records so this minstrel act is a love letter" posts. This gem was tucked in there: "It was a simpler time, a rapey time."

Tom Scharpling, never crap. I don't know about MM.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby givemenoughrope on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:58 pm

At this point (or maybe a couple years ago) he should just do his opening bit (which I didn't realize was material until I saw him live...just thought he was riffing, bitching) and then just stop talking.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:52 pm

I'm midway through the David Crosby interview now. It's as good as the Neil Young one was bad.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby TomWanderer on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:34 am

Wood Goblin wrote:I'm midway through the David Crosby interview now. It's as good as the Neil Young one was bad.

Agreed. I love David Crosby. After hearing this I don't know if you could get a band interview out of him. He was in the eye of the hurricane for the american counter cultural explosion and doesn't really give a shit. Honest, insightful, hilarious. Incredible musician. One of my favorite parts was Maron asking him about songwriting in the most cliche of terms (he actually said "which comes first, the music or the words") and when Crosby said something to the effect of "that's the question I've been asked more than anything in my life. It's impossible to answer, songs come every possible way." Then Maron actually said "hmm...I've never actually written a song". It honestly made me feel kinda bad for the guy. His relation to music is so obsessive, so bent on reciting something on guitar and having very clear expectations of what it has to be. It was an interesting look into Maron's mind. And not the look he usually gives you...it just slipped out.
TomWanderer
ernie
ernie

Postby W.L.Weller on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:49 am

He talked to Tom Scharpling about wanting to play music with other people in the "Marc & Tom Show" he put out yesterday. I get the sense that Maron's spent so much of his life focused on how he's being received in real time that it's really crippled him artistically.

And Maron told a story a while back about playing Oh Sweet Nuthin' (maybe with Brendon Small and other dudes?) and stopping the whole band in the middle of the song so he could start over and play the lead line "right." As someone who also spends way too much time inside my own head, and has only recently stopped being an exclusively bedroom-based guitarist, I have sympathy for Marc. Playing lead guitar by yourself prepares you for playing music with other people roughly as well as jerking off prepares you for sex with other people.
W.L.Weller
les nessman
les nessman

Postby smud on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:02 pm

Oh boy, this poem Roger Waters wrote...yeesh
smud
lil' ottowa fanny
lil' ottowa fanny

Postby Boombats on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:14 pm

smud wrote:Oh boy, this poem Roger Waters wrote...yeesh

This one?

Crystal clear brooks

When the time comes

And the last day dawns

And the air of the piper warms

The high crags of the old country

When the holy writ blows

Like burned paper away

And wise men concede

That there’s more than one way

More than one path

More than one book

More than one fisherman

More than one hook

When the cats have been skinned

And the fish have been hooked

When the masters of war

Are our masters no more

When old friends take their whiskey

Outside on the porch

We will have done well

If we’re able to say

As the sun settles down

On that final day

That we never gave in

That we did all we could

So the kids could go fishing

In crystal clear brooks.

I don't see what's so "yeesh" about it, but I'm no poetry expert.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby smud on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:59 pm

No, I don't mind that one. I'm talking about the one later in the interview on the Bush/Cheney wars.
smud
lil' ottowa fanny
lil' ottowa fanny

Postby Andrew. on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:59 pm

Waters interview wasn't that great but it seemed to be more Waters' fault, even though he comes across as a really good guy and some of the chat about his childhood was cool. Maron could've tried a little more to steer things in interesting directions but it's hard to fault him for being deferential. I've never been a Floyd guy to the point of never owning an album. It occurs to me I should check out the early albums. I had a hippie friend in my circle growing up who was really into them and prog and the Dead and psychedelics and a bit later Phish and I was just never down.

I love, really love, Waters' political engagement, especially on Palestine, but that doesn't mean I want to hear a clumsy, amateur 12-year-old Bush/Cheney anti-war poem. To be fair, Waters is self-aware and recognizes it's not a good move but then he still goes ahead with it. It's like he can't distinguish between the importance of taking challenging and unpopular (but correct) political stances and inserting bad poetry into an interview.

The standout moment of the interview is the minute or two where he talks about how groundbreaking the recording and drum sound was on The Band's Big Pink, an album I've never connected with. But according to Waters, drums had never been mic'd and up front in the mix where you really felt the kick. I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on this. News to me.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:24 pm

I loved that Endless Boogie interview. That Peter Grudzien record they mentioned has been been in heavy rotation since I first heard of it on that episode

There should be a podcast that explores those weird lost records. There's a lot of territory there to mine.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:05 pm

I liked the Derek Trucks interview. I've seen some clips of his playing on YouTube, and he is an excellent musician. Unreal phrasing over an overly polite and pro accompaniment. Not really into the music he plays at all. Surely he must have played on a good record somewhere along the line? I like a lot of the musicians he speaks about, and I appreciate his general disdain for modern blues. .
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Mama Clortho on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:09 am

Thought the Springsteen interview was the best in a long time. Was left wishing that it went for another hour and that I liked the music of Bruce Springsteen.
Mama Clortho
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:Thought the Springsteen interview was the best in a long time. Was left wishing that it went for another hour and that I liked the music of Bruce Springsteen.

It was good!

If anyone's looking for a recommendation, my favorite semi-recent interview was the Billy West's back in December.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Dave N. on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:18 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
Mama Clortho wrote:Thought the Springsteen interview was the best in a long time. Was left wishing that it went for another hour and that I liked the music of Bruce Springsteen.

It was good!

If anyone's looking for a recommendation, my favorite semi-recent interview was the Billy West's back in December.

Yeah, that Springsteen interview was tops. I came out of it with a renewed respect for the guy. Easily could've listened to another hour, but I guess I'll have to read the book. Gonna listen to Nebraska a couple of times this week, for sure.

The Tom Scharpling one from a couple of weeks ago was a great conversation.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Ike on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 am

He didn't know the Band played with Dylan.

That made my year, right there.
Ike
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Pure L on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:57 pm

I dug the Springsteen interview too.

Then I got all psyched to "get into some Springsteen" while working the other day.

Totally failed at getting into it. I really tried though.

Oh well.

Come to think of it, I'm a good 99% more likely to turn-up a fucking Billy Joel song on the radio than a Springsteen song. [ducks]

Now back to work-erk!-erk!-erk!
Pure L

Postby tallchris on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Ike wrote:He didn't know the Band played with Dylan.

That made my year, right there.

Wow, really taking no research to the extreme!
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby Teacher's Pet on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:10 pm

So, lemme get this straight, no name at all? Just "THE BAND"? Wow, that's pretty crazy, man. Who's the lead singer?
Teacher's Pet
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Andrew. on Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Andrew. wrote:
The standout moment of the interview is the minute or two where he talks about how groundbreaking the recording and drum sound was on The Band's Big Pink, an album I've never connected with. But according to Waters, drums had never been mic'd and up front in the mix where you really felt the kick. I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on this. News to me.

Just to follow up. Roger Waters says the drum sound on Big Pink was pivotal for rock recording. Can anyone comment on whether this is a thing?
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap