Minutemen vs. Fugazi

Minutemen
55%
Fugazi
45%

Total votes : 84

Re: Thunderdome: Minutemen vs. Fugazi

Postby Bernardo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:53 pm

mt wrote:So Fugazi vs The Jesus Lizard was (and still is) a dead heat, but the Minutemen trump Fugazi by a 2 to 1 margin. I think it is easy to see what is next.

Three to one.

I'd vote for TJL, though.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Parbuckle on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:06 pm

I like Fugazi just fine, but Minutemen beat em on all fronts. Songwriting, musicianship, production of their records (yes, even the "spotty" production on the early records is no worse than Fugazi's).

I can also feel an emotional connection with Minutemen that's just not there with Fugazi. Not sure why - I don't agree with the "Fugazi are too preachy" thing that keeps coming up, and Minutemen had some pretty ham-fisted lyrics on political topics too.

I guess what matters most is that Buzz or Howl under the Influence of Heat and Double Nickels on the Dime are a class above anything Fugazi ever released.

MINUTEMEN
bishopdante wrote:It's a lobster push lobster world out there.
Parbuckle
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby J. Burns on Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:16 pm

I love love love love the Minutemen, but it's Fugazi. Not even close.
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby J_Temperance on Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Man, two of my favorite bands, two of my fave drummers. I'll have to vote Fugazi because I own more records by them, though this would probably change when/if the Minutemen get reissued. Also, Fugazi may never have released something as good as Double Nickels but they never released something as dismal (or at the very least disappointing) as Three-Way, so there's that...
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby enframed on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:36 pm

Never liked the Minutemen, back then or now, musically, and if there's a god she knows I've tried. Fugazi.

Minutemen and The Clash are the only two bands I feel kinda bad for not liking.
Last edited by enframed on Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby harpseal2 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 pm

I gave Double Nickels on the Dime or whatever the fuck they call it a listen a while back and really could not get into it at all, to be totally honest. I also think I quit halfway through because I just was not enjoying what I was hearing. I realise this means I probably am woefully uninformed on this topic, but I digress (also, if you think I'm not giving them a fair go I'm open to suggestions for what else I should check out from them). Fugazi on the other hand, was quite instrumental in getting me into different music, more experimental and alternative stuff, even then I don't really like Fugazi that much anymore anyway. But, Fugazi did more for me than the Minutemen did, so Fugazi it is.

Fugazi.
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:43 am

enframed wrote:Never liked the Minutemen, back then or now, musically, and if there's a god she knows I've tried. Fugazi.

Minutemen and The Clash are the only two bands I feel kinda bad for not liking.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over The Clash.
biscuitdough
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:22 am

harpseal2 wrote:I gave Double Nickels on the Dime or whatever the fuck they call it a listen a while back and really could not get into it at all, to be totally honest. I also think I quit halfway through because I just was not enjoying what I was hearing. I realise this means I probably am woefully uninformed on this topic, but I digress (also, if you think I'm not giving them a fair go I'm open to suggestions for what else I should check out from them).

For Minutemen I'd start off with Paranoid Time or What Makes A Man Start Fires. Double albums can be a chore to sit through. These two are great albums and are also short and to the point.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Parbuckle on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 pm

J_Temperance wrote:Fugazi may never have released something as good as Double Nickels but they never released something as dismal (or at the very least disappointing) as Three-Way, so there's that...

Oh yeah, I wouldn't disagree with you on that. The Project: Mersh EP and one or two odds-and-sods comps are fairly ordinary too, but I like to compare bands based on their best stuff (as long as there's a reasonable amount of it, obvs) and kinda expect that there's gonna be some crappy stuff that can just be ignored, too. Having said that, Fugazi's quality control is admirably high - it's a matter of a handful of sub-par songs in their entire discography rather than even one crappy album. (Though I've never really got into the very early stuff.)

Anyway, it's still Minutemen for me, though I'm kinda happy that Fugazi have closed the gap in the poll in the last 24 hours.
bishopdante wrote:It's a lobster push lobster world out there.
Parbuckle
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Minutemen for sure.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby travis k on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:03 pm

I never got to see The Minutemen . I love em. But just on the records it's not very close at all for me.
Fugazi by a car length. A stretched limousine.
travis k
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby harpseal2 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:17 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:
harpseal2 wrote:I gave Double Nickels on the Dime or whatever the fuck they call it a listen a while back and really could not get into it at all, to be totally honest. I also think I quit halfway through because I just was not enjoying what I was hearing. I realise this means I probably am woefully uninformed on this topic, but I digress (also, if you think I'm not giving them a fair go I'm open to suggestions for what else I should check out from them).

For Minutemen I'd start off with Paranoid Time or What Makes A Man Start Fires. Double albums can be a chore to sit through. These two are great albums and are also short and to the point.

Will keep this in mind, thanks for the suggestions.

One thing about Fugazi, I really do not like Repeater. Maybe it's because I sorta stopped listening to hardcore because I wasn't really a huge fan? Maybe it's because I played it way too much and I'm burnt out on it? Who knows. 13 Songs and everything after Repeater is pretty good though. Fugazi is like, a rare band that actually progressively got better.

Maybe the aforementioned Minutemen albums would have swayed my vote, had I heard them before voting.
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap