Minutemen vs. Fugazi

Minutemen
55%
Fugazi
45%

Total votes : 84

Re: Thunderdome: Minutemen vs. Fugazi

Postby hellholiday on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:02 pm

I love "Project Mersh". Love it love it love it. Get rid of the cover and its a completely perfect E.P.

I feel like Fugazi is yelling at me while the Minutemen are yelling for me.

Minutemen.
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby jimmy two hands on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:13 pm

I know a guy who was listening to Fugazi once and just broke down and started shouting "Okay, I'm sorry, Ian, I'm sorry! Are you happy now!?!"
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby lemur68 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:25 pm

I go with Fugazi,

hellholiday wrote:I feel like Fugazi is yelling at me while the Minutemen are yelling for me.

but this is an excellent point.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby ImDADA on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:32 pm

lemur68 wrote:I go with Fugazi,

hellholiday wrote:I feel like Fugazi is yelling at me while the Minutemen are yelling for me.

How is it a good point? I don't understand - could someone explain specifically how this makes sense? Without bringing Minor Threat into the conversation.

Some guy up there /\ is getting upset about Embrace and Rites Of Spring which is weird because neither of those bands is Fugazi, or Minutemen.
Blue.
ImDADA
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Ernest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:44 pm

The way I interpret that is the Minutemen give off something more of an uplifting vibe, if you want to call it that. In many ways, they seemed the quintessential working class band with a heart. I don't mean to say they were like Punk's E-Street Band or something, but in comparison to Fugazi, they gave off a much more laid back, and generally all around supportive feeling.

Fugazi, to me, even though they were great, came off more as your typical rock band, even with particular way they do things, ethics aside, I mean. D Boon's vocals never came off like "Look! I have something to show you! Listen!"

It's no contest; Minutemen.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 pm

As is said, Fugazi more (self) righteous, rebellion as reproach, the Minutemen more subjective and more anthemic in a more believable way. It's the difference between a working-class rebel, seeking liberation, who knows what struggle is - and a middle-class activist telling other people how to live.

"Yes I know this is politically correct [the obilgatory mea-culpa as license to preach]

but it comes to [at] you, spiritually direct [cos we don't do drugs]

an attempt to thoughtfully affect your way of thinking.

YOUR way of
YOUR way of."

etc.
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

Postby hellholiday on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:25 pm

ImDADA wrote:
lemur68 wrote:I go with Fugazi,

How is it a good point? I don't understand - could someone explain specifically how this makes sense? Without bringing Minor Threat into the conversation.

Some guy up there /\ is getting upset about Embrace and Rites Of Spring which is weird because neither of those bands is Fugazi, or Minutemen.

Minutemen songs feel personal and very human in experience even when they are tackling big picture themes. I always get the sense they know what the guy doing grunt work just to get by is going through and these are his songs.

Fugazi songs feel very scholarly in their ideas, subjects and lyrical execution. Their songs can feel like lectures only saved by the power of the actual music.

Plus I find the Minutemen's music intensely gentle.
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Get dog costumes on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:01 pm

hellholiday wrote:Minutemen songs feel personal and very human in experience even when they are tackling big picture themes. I always get the sense they know what the guy doing grunt work just to get by is going through and these are his songs.

Fugazi songs feel very scholarly in their ideas, subjects and lyrical execution. Their songs can feel like lectures only saved by the power of the actual music.

Outside of Repeater, I never understand this criticism of Fugazi. Anyway, the Minutemen wrote their share of overt lyrics; anyone who doesn't like being "lectured" should have more of a problem with the band that recorded "Viet Nam," "West Germany," and "The struggle," and a little less with the one that did "Floating boy," "Epic problem," and "Latest disgrace."

I realize this comparison uses three of the of the Minutemen's hammiest songs, and three of Fugazi's most oblique. Still, anyone who criticizes Fugazi for being didactic (as the rule, not the exception) has to be ignorant. I just don't see it.

Fugazi. I like Boon and Watt's stream of consciousness lyrical approaches just fine, and for pith they take the cake, but MacKaye (and Picciotto from Kill Taker on) are just better-rounded, braver lyricists.
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Do you often take it upon yourself to call other people ignorant? As though the expression of a single opinion you disagree with entitles you to label them as ignorant? You must have a lot of friends.

Out of curiosity, what's your socio-economic and educational background? I have a bet with a coupla friends.
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

voting FVGAZI

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Fugazi was one of the best live shows I've ever seen, and I'm too young to have seen the Minutemen live. But I like the Minutemen records better.

So live, Fugazi gets the nod

on record, the Minutemen. Also I think that Fugazi owes quite a bit to the Minutemen, but I'm not going to let that have an influence on my vote.

I don't find Fugazi preachy at all, though people go on about it all the time here. I mean its Fugazi? Politics are part of what they do. I'm glad they're around to make those people uncomfortable. Also, once I had the chance to say 'hi' to Ian MacKaye after an Evens show and he was really nice. So there's that.

As for these responses:

I feel like Fugazi is yelling at me while the Minutemen are yelling for me.

I know a guy who was listening to Fugazi once and just broke down and started shouting "Okay, I'm sorry, Ian, I'm sorry! Are you happy now!?!"

If that's the response you people and your friends have to motherfucking Fugazi, I'd like to know what kind of reaction you'd have upon hearing, I dunno, Whitehouse or any abrasive, confrontational rock band. Pussies. I mean do you start tripping when you listen to Jimi Hendrix?

edit: Get Dog Costumes is right.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Also, Fugazi's "23 Beats Off" has some of the most violent feedback I've ever heard on record. Beautiful, powerful stuff.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Wood Goblin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Fugazi by a country mile.

I've tried and tried and tried to hear what other people hear in the Minutemen, and I just can't, because I totally hate what I hear.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Get dog costumes on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì wrote:Do you often take it upon yourself to call other people ignorant? As though the expression of a single opinion you disagree with entitles you to label them as ignorant? You must have a lot of friends.

Out of curiosity, what's your socio-economic and educational background? I have a bet with a coupla friends.

Like my father before me, I am the product of some of this country's finest prep schools. However, you shouldn't squander your gambling dollar on trivial matters such as these. It is the height of vulgarity.
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Bernardo on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì wrote:but it comes to [at] you, spiritually direct [cos we don't do drugs]

Come on, now. That's your honest interpretation?
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Uh no, not literally, not necessarily - it's a joke - but what the fuck is it supposed to mean? Put it in a conversational context. 'When I say this to you, I'm being spiritually direct'. I mean what kinda pretentious crap is that? I'm not down with the 'spiritual' here. It reeks of 'purity' and 'rectitude' and other such bullshit.

And again, I've seen Fugazi like 6 times, I own everything they recorded (except for the Instrument soundtrack, which is drivel), they're a very important band to me. Like everyone else tho they're not above satire or critique.
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

Re: voting FVGAZI

Postby hellholiday on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:04 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:If that's the response you people and your friends have to motherfucking Fugazi, I'd like to know what kind of reaction you'd have upon hearing, I dunno, Whitehouse or any abrasive, confrontational rock band. Pussies. I mean do you start tripping when you listen to Jimi Hendrix?

edit: Get Dog Costumes is right.

Fuck you Professor Rock.

Minutemen's lyrics and vocals are so much more conversational, empathetic and every day relatable to me than the strident politics and/or oblique poetry class stylings of Fugazi.

If you want to think you're better or more knowledgeable than me cause you prefer Fugazi than I say you're just justifying my argument. Elitist asshole.
Last edited by hellholiday on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Dovey on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:13 pm

What kind of quagmire have we descended into where people are suggesting Fugazi are elitist? Come on people, take a fucking step back. Big picture etc.
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby hellholiday on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Dovey wrote:What kind of quagmire have we descended into where people are suggesting Fugazi are elitist? Come on people, take a fucking step back. Big picture etc.

When you start arguing personal semantics about great bands it gets heated. This is the internet and a thunderdome. Two bands enter. One band survives.
Last edited by hellholiday on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't see why it's somehow verboten to imply that Fugazi are elitist - altho, I wouldn't - I mean I'd have to ask in what sense, like do their lyrics betray some sort of elitism, are they all personally elitist in some way, what have ye. No-one would hesitate to say that Beefheart was dictatorial or that Nick Cave is moody or something. Fugazi are not, like, some inviolable precious thing that must not be spoken any manner of ill against. Sheeez.
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

Postby Dovey on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:43 pm

No I mean it in the sense that it is so obviously and demonstrably ridiculous to suggest it based on everything the band has ever done said or written
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap