Minutemen vs. Fugazi

Minutemen
55%
Fugazi
45%

Total votes : 84

Re: Thunderdome: Minutemen vs. Fugazi

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't see why it's somehow verboten to imply that Fugazi are elitist - altho, I wouldn't - I mean I'd have to ask in what sense, like do their lyrics betray some sort of elitism, are they all personally elitist in some way, what have ye. No-one would hesitate to say that Beefheart was dictatorial or that Nick Cave is moody or something. Fugazi are not, like, some inviolable precious thing that must not be spoken any manner of ill against. Sheeez.
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

Postby Dovey on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:43 pm

No I mean it in the sense that it is so obviously and demonstrably ridiculous to suggest it based on everything the band has ever done said or written
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:51 pm

I think that one might get that feeling or come to that conclusion because they seem, at times, to be speaking from a sort of moral high ground, that they have a celebrated 'ethical purity' which somehow puts them above the motives of other artists, etc. I don't think it's a ridiculous assertion necessarily.

I mean for me to draw that conclusion i'd have to look at what their literal perspective is on other bands, do they slag other bands for their compromises etc. I get the sense that MacKaye & co. were basically doing things the way they think should be done and that it worked for them.

If I met any of them in person I might come away thinking, 'what a self-righteous, elitist, pompous fucktard'. Then again I might not. In any event I can't imagine having a rip-roaring fuckin' time with them.

You can have integrity, you can have a code, and still not be 'pure' or demand 'purity' of others.
Last edited by Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

Postby FuzzBob on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Fugazi, and Ian in particular, never came across as sanctimonious, pompous fucktards, or anything other than cool or approachable for that matter. I think folks conflate Minor Threat's legacy with Fugazi's. Add the fact that Fugazi's modus operandi is unattainable for many, and you have this snowball of a forebearing, menacing legacy.

Fugazi lived and worked like they did because it worked for them. It was about establishing a better way of doing things, but it wasn't elitist.

This is why I can't default to, "I love both bands equally, but Fugazi were sanctimonious assholes, so Minutemen it is."
FuzzBob
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby hellholiday on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:26 pm

Any elitism mentioned was directed at the poster who suggested I could not understand nuances in the works of Whitehouse, Jimi Hendrix or any other so called "abrasive,confrontational rock band". That's just insulting. Especially on this forum.

Fugazi is a great band BUT compared to the Minutemen I feel like they talked down to me a lot. Minutemen's output will always feel like equals in a struggle
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:56 pm

People get so defensive about Fugazi. It's like talking to people who campaigned for Obama or something hahah.

And for the record I don't see Fugazi's 'approachability' as some laudable virtue, it implies that they have a right to be anything other than. It's like calling a wax dummy lifelike or something.
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

Postby dokazaado on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:35 pm

I like Fugazi just fine.

Minutemen are my favorite punk rock band ever, and I like me some punk rock.
Just the total package - everything about them amazing and unexpected.
dokazaado
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby TheManWhoFelltoEarth on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Minutemen, no contest, and I like Fugazi.
TheManWhoFelltoEarth
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Bernardo on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:56 pm

Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì wrote:People get so defensive about Fugazi. It's like talking to people who campaigned for Obama or something hahah.

hahahah

Try talking unfounded negative shit about the minutemen to test your theory.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:05 pm

I rest my case
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

Postby Bernardo on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:07 pm

Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì wrote:I rest my case

After spending only ten of your thirteen posts on this board in this discussion?
Bernardo

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:34 pm

Perhaps you're paying to much attention to me dude. At the moment it's the only board that interests me, when something else attracts me I'll say something. You gonna clock my posts there too?

Sorry I blasphemed against your hero-gods. No 'unfounded negative shit' was talked, you act like I pissed on your dog or fucked your sister. Lighten up francis
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

Postby Mason on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì wrote:Sorry I blasphemed against your hero-gods.

It's not that you're criticizing them, it's that your criticism doesn't make sense.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Then quote my critique and show me where you believe there's been some irrationality or misconception. Then I may disagree, offer a counter-argument, or concede and amend my expressions. It's a fluid discussion, it's exploratory. It's not my academy vs. yours. Jesus Christ what idolatry

My criticisms are basically the same as others here, just in different language. You're not pissing and moaning at anyone else. Silly shit
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

Postby Bernardo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:25 am

Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì wrote:My criticisms are basically the same as others here, just in different language. You're not pissing and moaning at anyone else. Silly shit

It was about your hilarious comment on how people get defensive about Fugazi, as if anyone else was being critiqued.
Bernardo

Postby Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:42 am

Whatever. Yawn. I forget how frickin infantile people can get on boards like this, like everything is taken so personally. I like discussion and debate. People have gotten defensive in a way which is unsettling to me.

You could 'attack' the Minutemen all you wanted - personally I think there is some substandard stuff on their first few, and 3-Way Tie is needlessly over-produced, tho still good - but I wouldn't start insulting you as a person, I'd engage, y'know assess the value of your critique or whatever. I like them more than Fugazi and I've explained why. Given the proverbial desert island and the choice between Double Nickels and The Argument, I know what I'd bring.

I think Fugazi are prolly one of the most important bands of the past 20 yrs and I would prolly place them on a subjective Top Ten of all time, as far as my own tastes go. The only band I've seen live more times is Sonic Youth, and I have, like, woah, plenty of critique of them too, if I aired it I doubt people would act like they were Catholics who'd had their Pope insulted.
Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì
comrade
comrade

Postby Mason on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:49 am

Fugazi's not even winning this Thunderdome, dude. Get your facts straight before you tell us who "our" sacred cows are/n't.

Whatever. You're pretty much just trolling.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:55 am

I don't get the Fugazi hype/adoration.
That may be because I grew up on them and the Dischord catalog.
(I grew up 45 minutes from DC so seeing them was never a big deal to me)
Give me Jawbox, Shudder To Think or Monorchid any day over a bunch of preachy assholes who are way overrated.)
(Fuck, I'll take Lungfish over anything Ian has done since Minor Threat any day of the week.)
I think the Minutemen catalog sounds like ass, but they're obviously the better band because Spot is one of the worst engineers ever. Plus their live sound was way better.
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
Awesome_Komodo
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Bernardo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 am

Awesome_Komodo wrote:I think the Minutemen catalog sounds like ass, but they're obviously the better band because Spot is one of the worst engineers ever.

Well, when you put it that way...
Bernardo

Postby ImDADA on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:48 am

Hēi Méiguī De Qǐyì wrote:I think that one might get that feeling or come to that conclusion because they seem, at times, to be speaking from a sort of moral high ground, that they have a celebrated 'ethical purity' which somehow puts them above the motives of other artists, etc. I don't think it's a ridiculous assertion necessarily.

I mean for me to draw that conclusion i'd have to look at what their literal perspective is on other bands, do they slag other bands for their compromises etc. I get the sense that MacKaye & co. were basically doing things the way they think should be done and that it worked for them.

If I met any of them in person I might come away thinking, 'what a self-righteous, elitist, pompous fucktard'. Then again I might not. In any event I can't imagine having a rip-roaring fuckin' time with them.

You can have integrity, you can have a code, and still not be 'pure' or demand 'purity' of others.

I just think you don't really have a clue what you're talking about.
Blue.
ImDADA
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap