Jack White

CRAP
38%
NOT CRAP
62%

Total votes : 116

Re: Dude: Jack White

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Boobman wrote:What's he doing that Pussy Galore and a thousand others haven't already done before?

Make tons of money while doing it.

Jack White rules.

Not crap.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby numberthirty on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Antero wrote:No knobs at all?

Dude, the record is called De Stijl not Let's Paint It Pink And Lime Green.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:46 am

http://teamcoco.com/video/jack-white-temporary-ground-06-11-14

That's pretty good, like the instrumentation he's going with on all the new live stuff I've seen. He sure gets hot black haired chicks to play with him pretty often, doesn't he?
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Rémy on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:25 pm

I always thought he composed a few great riffs but that's it. Every project he's been involved in has been really disappointing.
Rémy
freelance gynaecologist
freelance gynaecologist

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:37 pm

I like most everything he's done, really. That first Raconteurs record is filled with excellent songs, the first Dead Weather is fun. The solo records are so-so, but it's not like BAD music or anything, still just a guitar and drums and real instruments and shit, recorded on tape, he's not like 'adding electronic elements' or hip hop loops or anything. I think he's a fine songwriter and excellent guitar player. His live vocals are awful sometimes, though, he does bizarre things in a live setting with the perfectly fine melodies, for whatever reason.

Like, here, listen to the first song, after the little opening jam, it's 'Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground' a big White Stripes hit, listen to what he does with the vocals, don't get that sort of thing, Lou Reed, Bob Dylan type fuck with the melody on purpose thing:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/319666614/live-tuesday-jack-white-in-concert

But overall, I like the dude's music a lot and I respect what he does with his money and label and he always has hot chicks in his band with him, always. I find little to talk shit about with dude.
Marsupialized

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Marsupialized wrote:That first Raconteurs record is filled with excellent songs

If three quarters of your band is the Greenhornes' rhythm section and Brendan Benson, the record should be filled with excellent songs. I don't know that I'd give him a whole lot of credit for that.

Not so hot on the first single from the new record. Sounds like it could be where the tail chasing begins.

It will be interesting to see.
numberthirty

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:40 pm

I have it sitting here, I'll give it a spin in a bit, yeah don't like the single very much. I don't need jack White rapping.
Marsupialized

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:44 pm

Marsupialized wrote:I have it sitting here, I'll give it a spin in a bit, yeah don't like the single very much. I don't need jack White rapping.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one who heard it and thought "rapping"?
numberthirty

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:06 pm

This is pretty good too

phpBB [media]

I just don't get the hatin', dude is having a good time with shit
Marsupialized

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:24 pm

There are plenty of perfectly legit things that people can call the guy on. However, calling a guy out who named his label Third Man Records for his flair for the theatrical -

numberthirty

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:07 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:I have it sitting here, I'll give it a spin in a bit, yeah don't like the single very much. I don't need jack White rapping.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one who heard it and thought "rapping"?

I heard it on the car radio this morning and I also thought "rapping", and about how I don't need it.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby John W. on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:43 am

Seems like a cool dude and I like his guitar playing... I just don't like his voice. If he did an instrumental record, I'd be interested to hear it. He just sounds like Bobcat Goldthwait to me.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby drcroc on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:18 pm

This is a tough one. The lego video was instrumental to his success, I feel. Without it, I'm not sure he'd be relevant at all. Some good singles following the red blood cells album, but mostly filler (agree with a previous guy who said this)... Gonna have to go with a not crap, but begrudgingly, as with most of these threads... I'm starting to see a trend...

Artist puts out cool CD and is generally authentic. Artist tries to cash in on success and releases more CDs that sound the same and reach a larger audience who isn't familiar with his previous work. Then artist becomes a caricature of themselves and is generally abandoned by some of the initial fanbase who does not enjoy more (as is often the case) half-assed attempts to do the same thing, albeit more cleverly. Also, I've grown out of a lot of music that was once contemporary to stuff I still listen to, so it's generally weird. Furthermore, putting out material to the public is rough, particularly if its embarrassing later on. You can learn from mistakes, though.
drcroc
carl sagan
carl sagan

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Angus Jung

Postby bishopdante on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:49 pm

Cheeseball but not oppressively cringeworthy riffs, catchy stuff...

Which make you think of deep purple... but actually if you listen to deep purple it makes them sound like motorhead.

Not saying that isn't a talent, but for me it lives in the same somewhat thin on message "sophisticated pop" fashion kitsch zone as Amy Winehouse. Totally slick sense of production. Crap would be too strong a word. Very well done, crafty and crafted. It's not a pale imitation, but it is arguably imitation whose only flaw is exceeding the original qualities of that which is imitated. It's not schlock, there is pizazz, more than a touch of but not a glaring excess of schmaltz. Definitely takes skill to be able to do that. But it's a showbiz attitude, with a dressing room. Entertainer. It's virtuoso...

But not roots griot behaviour. There's a sense of service and depth that is missing. Never once felt informed or challenged by the output. Confident, yes. Fearless? No way. Candyfloss.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:36 pm

I saw Melvin Van Peebles give a talk there on, like, a Thursday.

Jack seems to have a thing for hiring beautiful women.

Not Crap, just get him to expand the talent on the label.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby smud on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:07 pm

I guess if I had to go with white boi blooze I'd rather it be played by him than Stevie Ray Vaughn. But I dunno, why would I listen to his stuff when there is an entire internet full of music that isn't this derivative? The twist that White brings to blues music never blew my skirt up. I need a little more than peppermint themed photo shoots and vaguely incestuous lyrics.
smud
lil' ottowa fanny
lil' ottowa fanny

Postby eliya on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:01 am

No crap.

I appreciate what he's doing as far as repressing old, true folk and blues. The Paramount box is expensive, but I'm glad it's out there. He's also reissuing Charley Patton, so I'm grateful for that. Also, without him I would have never heard this crazy song:

phpBB [media]

smud wrote:I guess if I had to go with white boi blooze I'd rather it be played by him than Stevie Ray Vaughn. But I dunno, why would I listen to his stuff when there is an entire internet full of music that isn't this derivative? The twist that White brings to blues music never blew my skirt up. I need a little more than peppermint themed photo shoots and vaguely incestuous lyrics.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to SRV. SRV wanted to play electric blues and made it lame. The White Stripes, at least their music that I know, didn't attempt to play blues. They did their thing and it's very much influenced by blues, but I wouldn't called it white boy blues.

This is white boy blues:

phpBB [media]

"Son of Skip James". Fuck me sideways.
eliya

Postby travis k on Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:46 pm

Fuck tard revisionist with a good education on graphic design. Glad he puts his money into things. His only dry waffle .
travis k
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby givemenoughrope on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:02 pm

With such deep blues influences you have to wonder why his stuff just sounds like Rage against the Machine meets Robert Plant. People seem to be more about what he does and how looks than his music which has always been crap.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap