They rule.

NC.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: band: PORTAL

Postby crustandcrumb on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:35 pm

"swarth" is real good. not crap.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Charlie D on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 pm

My friend, whom I've often referred to as my adoptive father, hipped me to this band last year, maybe even back in 2010. All the YouTube videos suck as far as sound but the band's visual presentation is awesome. That's what you want to see. Especially when the lead singer wears the hollowed-out cuckoo clock mask. One of the few bands I've seen (at least on line) that can pull off the mask thing and not look like total clowns.
Charlie D
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Location: Whittier Neighborhood, Powderhorn Community, Minneapolis, MN

Postby Ernest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:50 am

One of the best metal bands ever.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Haydon on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:27 am

I can really get lost in their records and really enjoy their visual presentation.

So they're playing this weekend and I still don't know what to do about that. And I know what you're going to reply to this with and I deserve all of it.
Haydon
intestine
intestine

Postby gjp on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:37 am

So good.

Not crap at all.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Rémy on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Not crap.
Violent, dark, gloomy.
Rémy
freelance gynaecologist
freelance gynaecologist

Postby chapin on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:26 pm

not crap
chapin
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby stewie on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:27 pm

It took me a few listens to get into "Swarth", but it was worth it. There's a lot going on in that album, and it's surprisingly appropriate for my drive to and from work.

Not Crap, and yeah, those costumes are the fucking shit.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Mama Clortho on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:16 am

If there is a better metal band on the planet right now I'd sure like to hear them.

Regarding the costumes - I think they're cool. Difficult to pull something like that off but they do and it adds a lot to their music, which is weird and very uncommon (The Residents? Who else?). However, I think its a shame the costumes are often the focus, as the music is that good and they've taken metal to a place that really excites me.

Swarth is perfect. It's a really great sounding recording, too. Particularly for a metal band.

Outre is great, but it has that we recorded it ourselves with an mbox sound that drives me crazy. Just a wall of ill-defined lifeless murk.

They have a new album recorded.
Last edited by Mama Clortho on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mama Clortho
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby gjp on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:49 am

Mama Clortho wrote:If there is a better metal band on the planet right now I'd sure like to hear them.

Seriously. I've tried looking. It's god damn impossible.
gjp

Postby Haydon on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:14 am

Yeah, I'm with the "Best Metal Band" thing. It made me revisit Gorguts in the hope of it comparing in a similar fashion, but no. In the end I was left wanting Portal. I can run through all the albums and still be left wanting more.

Re: The Costumes.

I love the newest incarnation of The Curators outfit. His spindly tentacle fingers almost mirror the contorted fingers of the guitarists sat on both sides of him.
Haydon
intestine
intestine

Postby goatlord on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:55 am

I know that this band is great, but I still have to understand what they are doing. Some extreme bands just click with me, but this is one of the most brutal and uncomfortable metal bands I've ever heard, and I don't know to what extent I like what they are doing. I dig the idea of the guitarrists playing one semitone above/bellow the other, it creates some serious fucking noise. And the costumes!

Just let me a couple of weeks to get my head around it. I'd probably vote NC then.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord

Postby Mama Clortho on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:20 am

Haydon wrote:It made me revisit Gorguts in the hope of it comparing in a similar fashion, but no. In the end I was left wanting Portal. I can run through all the albums and still be left wanting more.

Funny. I did the same thing and had exactly the same experience.
Mama Clortho
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby crustandcrumb on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Haydon wrote: Gorguts

Portal is great. But dudes, Obscura, is all I'm sayin'.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:52 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:
Haydon wrote: Gorguts

Portal is great. But dudes, Obscura, is all I'm sayin'.

Obscura is a pretty neat band. I was alittle turned off by them for one older record because they sounded like a DEATH cover band (...and I LOVE DEATH.), but I've since heard the new one and enjoy them quite a bit now.

If insane tech. death metal is what tickles your fancy, there is no band, and I mean NO BAND as fucking gnarly as Spawn of Possession. Check out the record Noctambulant. It's one of the first metal bands I have ever heard where the vocals are truly mind blowing. I don't know how that dude wrote lyrics and vocal parts so good to such insane songs.

qrj wrote:
Mama Clortho wrote:If there is a better metal band on the planet right now I'd sure like to hear them.

Seriously. I've tried looking. It's god damn impossible.

As truly amazing as PORTAL is, Weakling is imho on par or maybe even a slight bit better. Dead As Dreams is a full. blown. fucking. masterpiece.

Fans of black metal will need to wear bigger pants after listening to this LP, because boners are unavoidable.

I'm praying Southern Lord or some other metal label with the capacity to re-release Weakling's Dead As Dreams, will splash some cold water in their faces and do so. I really don't want to pay $400 for the LP off the webs.

Download this, do yourself a favor. Listen to the whole thing in one piece and very loudly. I know the download says "Dead Like Dreams", but that's just a fuck up on the uploader's part.

WEAKLING - DEAD AS DREAMS

AnthonyVillalobos

Postby crustandcrumb on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Sorry for the confusion; I actually was referring to the Gorguts record.

crustandcrumb

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:01 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:Sorry for the confusion; I actually was referring to the Gorguts record.

I don't think I've heard this one. Goreguts is fucking awesome though. Colin Marston of Dysrhythmia (and one time forum member) is playing in Goreguts now from what I've heard.

Crust, download that WEAKLING record. It's too good to pass up. Trust me.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby crustandcrumb on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:20 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:

Crust, download that WEAKLING record. It's too good to pass up. Trust me.

just tackled the title track on YT. vocals are awesome. didn't care for a couple of the synth parts, but on the whole, this sounds pretty goddamn genuine ("TRUE", hahaha) to my ears.

crustandcrumb

Postby MRoyce on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Portal is just awesome. Even my girlfriend, who's usually not so enamored with the extreme metal stuff called it amazing on first listen. I just love how punishingly dense they sound.

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Obscura is a pretty neat band. I was alittle turned off by them for one older record because they sounded like a DEATH cover band (...and I LOVE DEATH.), but I've since heard the new one and enjoy them quite a bit now.

What's also neat is that their drummer practices next to our room and drives my drummer insane. Every day, starting at three in the afternoon, it's blast beat central. Thankfully he's on tour pretty often.
MRoyce
pres. laura roslin
pres. laura roslin

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap