Postby Redline on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Bob at 2:00
phpBB [media]
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Re: Band: King Crimson

Postby Redline on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:46 am

Holy shit, they're playing The Letters from Islands on the 2014 tour...
phpBB [media]
Redline

Postby JeffP on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:07 pm

Redline wrote:Bob lays it down...

He means it, too. When I saw the double trio they were enforcing a rule that anyone who went to the lobby/bar/bathroom would not be allowed back in until whatever song they were playing had ended. This rule was not posted until after the opening band played, so the only way you'd know is if you left the theater during KC's performance. To make it worse, they had improvised segues between many of the songs and the doorman didn't know the song had ended, so we had to argue our way back in.
JeffP
pryor
pryor

Postby goosman on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:21 pm

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/09/k ... c-box-set/

King Crimson to release fabled Blue Tapes in massive 24-disc box set

In 1973 and 1974, prog legends King Crimson recorded a series of European performances using reel to reel technology, taken directly from the PA system. Named after the color of the boxes they’ve been stored in, The Blue Tapes have long been a coveted piece of King Crimson lore, both for their breathtaking content and pristine audio quality. On October 13th, fans will finally get their hands on these fabled soundboard recordings thanks to the release of an extensive new box set.

Entitled Starless, the 24-disc package seems catered to the biggest of super fans. It includes all 11 CDs making up The Blue Tapes along with seven CDs of multi-track recordings taken from 1973 European performances that became the basis for the band’s 1974 album Starless and Bible Black.

Another CD features a live recording of the band’s three-song ORTF Paris TV performance, along with the 2011 stereo mix reissue of Starless and Bible Black. There’s also two DVD discs and two Blu-ray discs that contain concert and studio recordings.

King Crimson’s lineup during the Starless era included Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, David Cross, and John Wetton. Perhaps the band’s most cohesive configuration, Wetton recalled their time together in an interview with Something Else!, saying, “There were formal pieces, and then improvisation took over again. Between 40 and 60 percent of the stuff that we played on stage with Crimson was improvisational. We had it down to fine art, as to how each piece dovetailed into the next one. And it was always different. Every night would be different.”
zom-zom wrote:I'm really good with the spork.
goosman
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Redline on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:57 am

King Crimson, Shellac, Beatles..When it rains, it pours!
Redline

Postby crustandcrumb on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:01 am

i swear to god i've heard Mastellotto play some interesting shit outside of KC, but can't figure out what it was.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby matthew on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Apparently Robert Fripp thought FM steve was too generous towards the music industry in his famous diatribe "The Problem With Music:

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?arti ... entry=1074
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Major on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:32 am

Got to be honest here. I have attempt to "get" King Crimson for years and nothing has ever really resonated with me, which is a bit odd as I'm a huge Fripp fan.

Last week I was hanging out at my local and the bartender played Red for me and it's all I've listened to for days. I am hooked.

What next?
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby M.H on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:20 am

Major wrote:Last week I was hanging out at my local and the bartender played Red for me and it's all I've listened to for days. I am hooked.

What next?

I'd check out the 2 proceeding records (Larks' Tongues In Aspic and Starless And Bible Black). I tend to group these 3 together, it's Crimson's most inventive and aggressive stuff. They lost a band member between each album and got tighter and leaner until they were a 3 piece. Don't expect anything better than Red, but it's in a similar vein.

In The Court Of The Crimson King and Discipline are the better records from their lesser periods.

I'm split somewhere between great and horrible w/this band. Schizoid back catalogue. Can't vote.
M.H
rocky
rocky

Postby MRoyce on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:26 am

Yeah, the Larks/Starless/Red run is probably the best that was done under the KC name. I have a weak spot for the Belew-era as well. Where The Wetton stuff was their version of Sabbath/hard rock, the Belew is that with New Wave.
MRoyce
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama

Postby Bernardo on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:33 am

There is also a huge wealth of live material from the larks-red era, if you ever feel like going further, starting with The Great Deceiver boxed set. My second favourite phase is the 80's one as well, I rank Discipline right up with the preceeding three albums.
I play guitar for Elma and Buistra.
On Bandcamp: Elma /-/ Buistra
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Major on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:08 pm

M.H wrote:I'd check out the 2 proceeding records (Larks' Tongues In Aspic and Starless And Bible Black). I tend to group these 3 together, it's Crimson's most inventive and aggressive stuff. They lost a band member between each album and got tighter and leaner until they were a 3 piece. Don't expect anything better than Red, but it's in a similar vein.

In The Court Of The Crimson King and Discipline are the better records from their lesser periods.

MRoyce wrote:Yeah, the Larks/Starless/Red run is probably the best that was done under the KC name. I have a weak spot for the Belew-era as well. Where The Wetton stuff was their version of Sabbath/hard rock, the Belew is that with New Wave.

Huh. Well, this explains a lot. I had only been exposed to the early stuff, then Discipline onward. The early stuff was good but never stuck. The Belew-era albums bored me.

Thanks, duders.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 pm

Yeah, they don't really have anything else anywhere as intense as "Red", which I think is why this album is so popular here. Thinking about it, the closest thing to it might be the "Vrooom" EP from 1994, I haven't listened to it since 90's, but I remember really liking it. First riff on it kinda sounds like the one from "Red" backwards, or maybe I'm making it up.
My second favourite KC album is the debut one, so I second the recommendation, same thing with the two albums before "Red", but I'd try first one first. [edit: although you're probably familiar with it alread, sorry, misread your post]
From the 80's output you might try with the last one, "Three of a Perfect Pair", it's still similar to the two before it, but is more melodic and kinda-sorta song oriented. On side "A", at least, side "B" sounds like something closer to Fripp's solo output.

There were also some really cool youtube vids linked in this thread, from all eras. At least some of them should still work.
Last edited by emmanuelle cunt on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Major wrote:Got to be honest here. I have attempt to "get" King Crimson for years and nothing has ever really resonated with me, which is a bit odd as I'm a huge Fripp fan.

Last week I was hanging out at my local and the bartender played Red for me and it's all I've listened to for days. I am hooked.

What next?

Lark's Tongues In Aspic and the 'live' album USA. Along with Red, this is the only Crimson I need.

I don't even like Starless And Bible Black. I guess I'm not much of a fan but the tiny amount of their shit that I love, I really love.
Angus Jung

Postby kerble on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Angus Jung wrote:I don't even like Starless And Bible Black. I guess I'm not much of a fan but the tiny amount of their shit that I love, I really love.

Starless and Bible Black really seems to meander in the second half. It's like it starts out strong and just fizzles. I'm not even sure I like much off that record aside from "the Great Deceiver", which is shazam. It's been years since I had a copy, but that's how I remember it. I do remember thinking SaBB was recorded magnificently, though.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Redline on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:58 pm

kerble wrote:
I do remember thinking SaBB was recorded magnificently, though.

It's mostly a live lp, except for the first 2 songs, with some slight add-ons. The only overdub on side 2 is the thundersheet at the end of Fracture.

You have to listen to Fracture with the lights out.
Redline

Postby readandburn on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Fracture is the best thing they ever did. Fripp's playing on that is bordering on impossible.
readandburn
future member of the green party
future member of the green party

Postby the Classical on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Angus Jung wrote:I don't even like Starless And Bible Black. I guess I'm not much of a fan but the tiny amount of their shit that I love, I really love.

When it's good KC is amazing, but for me at least the ratio between "making you eat your vegetables" to "oh Christ this is the best steak I've ever had!" is a bit too skewed in the wrong direction to spend a lot of time listening to them.

Fripp is the greatest guitar player ever, when he's playing on other people's albums.
the Classical

Postby kerble on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:55 pm

300 was a terrible movie.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap