home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Film: Looper

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Film: Looper

Postby Ike on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:46 pm

This movie is, at best, just okay.

I didn't stomp out or demand my money back, but I'm not going to watch it again, and I'll in all likelihood forget about it by next week Wed.

Several points: I don't know what the budget of this film was, but I bet it wasn't that high. There's a serious low rent quality to it through and through, and it suffers for it. The 'speeder bike' scene with the dumb hillbilly-accented bad guy was laughable.

The physics of the time travel thing are literally brushed off. As in a character basically says, "This is boring and you wouldn't get it anyway," instead of indulging us. Cop out.

A 12 Monkeys shoutout with the janky-ass time machine. Had to have been.

The kid actor was GREAT. Super fucked up role, really played well.

The main dude's face (Robin) was extremely distracting.

I think my wife liked it more than I did. I really wanted to see the Master again.
Ike
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby wiggins on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:36 am

Solid NC, although I admit I had a righteous whiskey buzz in the theater. Makes sense dudes from Primer were involved, I loved that movie.

I LOVED the low budget feel.
I LOVED that they brushed off the physics of time travel. Know why? Because it's boring and you wouldn't get it anyway. Totally NOT IMPORTANT to the film, and totally NOT IMPORTANT to the characters in their present time, either. I could go further into why this is so, but fuck you.

The are little details that impressed me, like all the solar panels and modifications to (our) present-day vehicles. Yes, that's a 30 year old Ford F-150, but now it runs on solar power and hooch cause there's no more gas and no more money in the future.

I have a lot to say about this movie but I really shouldn't be awake. SOLID NC.

wf-1 for 3rd rock dude's makeup. heard yall on that.
wiggins
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Andy on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:57 pm

I was wary of going because I hate time travel movies that get too hardcore into the "physics" of time travel, so I'm glad that they brushed it off.

The first time that we see the power of the kid, with everything in that crazy slow motion: Holy shit.

Fave part: Zevon's "Carmelita" in the diner.

Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby night_tools on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Just got back from seeing it, didn't enjoy it as much as I was expecting. Some of it was great, some just dumb. Pulled it together for a solid ending though.
Very impressive performance from the small child.
Good soundtrack- I also enjoyed the use of 'Carmelita' and 'I want to see the Bright Lights tonight' by R&L Thompson.
One of the most weirdly disturbing torture scenes I've seen - but I couldn't work out why they went to all that trouble instead of just shooting him.
I only just worked out the '3rd Rock' connection - I thought you were talking about French Stewart!
NC overall but I liked Brick a lot better.
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
night_tools
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Bro Shark on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Starts off okay, then devolves into typical Hollywood Bullshit for Idiots. Afterwards every time I thought about it I got angry, so Crap.
Bro Shark
bear
bear

Postby Rodabod on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Thought it was so-so.

I was hoping it wouldn't end like it did. I found that a bit of a cop out.
Rodabod
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Redline on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Saw it at a Drive-In.

Not Crap.
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:39 pm

It was actually a lot better than I thought it would be, and me and the lady really enjoyed it. A lot of the conversation afterwards was about the guy's make-up, though, so it's funny to see the same reaction.
Twilight Sparkle

Postby The Code is Almighty on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:00 am

SPOILERS

I really wish they hadn't set up the TK thing in the beginning and the first time you saw anything of it was when the kid fell down the stairs. That would have knocked me on my ass.

So, I thought the reason they were sending people to the past was because it was impossible to dispose of a body in the future. If that's the case, how they'd get away with casually shooting Willis's wife?

Overall I liked it quite a bit.
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Postby tallchris on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:54 pm

NC. Watched this on NYE and liked it a ton.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby Sock OR Muffin? on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Just saw it. A few moments where we were a little "Omg, will this thing end?" Overall NC. Not bothered by the makeup, definitely bothered by the kid. He was pretty good.

Thread needs a pole.
Anthony Flack wrote:In fact it was Jimmy Saville who first introduced Cream to The Small Faces.
Sock OR Muffin?
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby pet fever detector on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm

The Code is Almighty wrote:SPOILERS

So, I thought the reason they were sending people to the past was because it was impossible to dispose of a body in the future. If that's the case, how they'd get away with casually shooting Willis's wife?

i got the impression her death was an accident. the goons were not expecting and startled by her presence.
pet fever detector
tiger cub
tiger cub

Postby Antero on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Not crap. Smart, nicely composed. It's a total popcorn movie but it's exactly what I want in a popcorn movie.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:13 am

Poll?

Overall NC, however it for some reason failed to suck me into it, maybe because of overly long melodramatic bits? The rest of the film was smarter than usual but still an action thing so during the mother to son relationship scenes I was like 'yeah, whatever, move on'. Or maybe I'm just too dumb for anything other than explosions.
I'm totally fine with them not explaining the time travel stuff, like 'hey, it's a time travel film so it needs a bit of liberty in that department'. And also, everything makes sense just enough that you can work out the logic of loops and timelines by yourself, like I think just did. With a diagram, as said in the film.
I missed the cheapness. It wasn't flashy for the most part (minus the Blade Runner-esque skyscrapers at night) but it looked solid to me.
Fully agree about the makeup, it looked weird and even beside that, it seemed liked main character actor tried to make Bruce Willis-like face expressions and it didn't came out any good at all. Oh, and it's a second film in a row I see with him with a really cartoonish looking scene of him falling ('Premium Rush' was the first one). This guy sucks at pretending he is falling. Like, falling from heights.
The kid is as good as everyone here says. Extraordinary and genuinely scary. I hope he doesn't have a trauma caused by shooting some of the scenes.
The 'torture scene' was ace, although it took me way too long to realize what is going on as my first impression was 'hey, it's the Back To The Future effect'.
Wife getting killed just like that made no sense at all.
The ending ruled and I sort of switched my mind from 'meh' to 'wow' state, which rarely happens.

So overall OK, with some great concepts.

iembalm wrote:This is a commentary track Rian Johnson has recorded, meant to be listened to in-theater on your mp3 device. Different from the DVD commentary to come.

http://soundcloud.com/rcjohnso/looper-t ... commentary

Thanks for that, it shall be interesting.
Last edited by emmanuelle cunt on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby iembalm on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 am

emmanuelle cunt wrote:Oh, and it's a second film in a row I see with him with a really cartoonish looking scene of him falling ('Premium Rush' was the first one). This guy sucks at pretending he is falling. Like, falling from heights.

Did it in Inception too, didn't he?
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 am

I don't remember it. Maybe it's a running (or rather falling. ha! haha! hahahahaha!) joke of the film industry?

And speaking about that: did anyone remember the sound when the flying bike crashed towards the end of the film? Like a high pitched 'something's reducing rev's or running out of electricity' sound? I'm pretty sure I heard in in other films, it could be new Wilhelm's Scream.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby placeholder on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Fun, stupid action movie. I was entertained by it, but I'll likely never watch it again.

It gets really corny in its last third. They seriously telegraph the payoff to the Rainmaker deal. All the Matrix-y slow-motion stuff with the kid was cheesy. All of that kinda soured me on the rest of the movie.

The part where the guy's body was falling apart was pretty effective. Jeff Daniels was very good. I always like hearing "I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight."

Joseph Gordon-Levitt's terrible Bruce Willis makeup made me think of this:

Just barely NOT CRAP.
placeholder

Postby Adam Sr on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:37 pm

iembalm wrote:This is a commentary track Rian Johnson has recorded, meant to be listened to in-theater on your mp3 device. Different from the DVD commentary to come.

http://soundcloud.com/rcjohnso/looper-t ... commentary

That he says 'Then it should be sunk up' is pretty funny/cute.
Adam Sr
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby John W. on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:10 am

Rented it on iTunes last night and had it on while doing laundry and stuff. I was excited for it at first, but then it sort of ran out of gas toward the fourth quarter. The script writers really liked the word 'farm' didn't they? Still - pretty good, if you can handle a bit of a fizzle as it wears on.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby lemur68 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 am

So his makeup was supposed to look like young Bruce Willis? They did an awful job, because I didn't catch that at all.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap