R.E.M.?

Crap
32%
Not Crap
68%

Total votes : 222

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby AnthonyCinder on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 am

I like REM and I don't give a fuck. Document was the first album I bought with my own money, and it's still my favorite record of theirs. I'm on board with them through Automatic. Monster mostly sucks, I guess it has a few moments. After that, I have no interest.

On top of that, Stipe is one of the only people I can think of who hit a certain level of fame and didn't become an asshole (even if he did become a poorer lyricist as the years wore on).
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby punch_the_lion on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:54 am

Boring band. Nice people, I'm sure.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby P.J. Craven on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:02 am

R.E.M. ruled. I really just wanted to write something nice about R.E.M. on this leap year day.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Trey on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 am

I listened to Reckoning on my way home from work tonight. 7 Chinese Brothers is as good to me now as it was 25 years ago.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:20 pm

I love the last R.E.M. record, "Collapse Into Now".

I love this song, "Überlin".

"I will make it through the night..."

I love this song, "It Happened Today".

"Deference, defiance, and choice..."

I love this song, "Every Day Is Yours To Win".

"And that's how heroes are made..."

And I love this kiss-off, "All The Best".

"Now it's time to get on with the rest..."

It's still hard to believe or accept that there will never be another R.E.M. record or show. It makes me sad. I loved and needed this band.

So long, R.E.M.!

:smt006
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby placeholder on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Recently discovered that it'll probably be a good while before I can listen to and enjoy the music of R.E.M. again.

I was in a partic lousy, defeated mood the other night, and "Find the River"--a song I ostensibly love--bummed me out something fierce. It was the first time I'd heard anything off this familiar record in months, and I couldn't take listening to it all the way through.

I'm fine now, mind you! Although I am not happy that I can't take listening to R.E.M. for the time being!

This is a first-world problem.

Still, you will never be crap to me, R.E.M.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby motorbike guy on Mon May 14, 2012 8:35 am

i played Radio Free Europe yesterday, and I swear, I could not stop myself from dancing.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy

Postby P.J. Craven on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Rediscovering the simple pleasures of Automatic for the People en route to a beach party.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven

Postby Flaneur on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Unrelated to the music, but Stipe's $11M home is for sale:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... eal_estate
Flaneur
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Angus Jung on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:10 pm

New Peter Buck solo LP to be released by Mississippi Records on vinyl only; no CD or download cards.

In a weird turn of events, I saw Peter Buck play live last week. Really terrible.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Tuolumne on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Angus Jung wrote:New Peter Buck solo LP to be released by Mississippi Records on vinyl only; no CD or download cards.

In a weird turn of events, I saw Peter Buck play live last week. Really terrible.

At the Doug Fir? Didn't see you there. Yeah, I did not care for that at all. Boring rock of the highest order. Young Fresh Fellows, on the other hand, were pretty top notch, I thought. I even liked Robyn Hitchcock, being almost totally unfamiliar with his songs. When the dude from Decemberists hopped onstage to chime in with the singing I feared the worst, but he faded pretty nicely into the background.
Tuolumne
hank aaron
hank aaron

Postby Angus Jung on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Tuolumne wrote:I even liked Robyn Hitchcock

Robyn ruled.
Angus Jung

Postby Trey on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:I even liked Robyn Hitchcock

Robyn ruled.

I saw Robyn Hitchcock at the 40 watt in 1991. He came out and did 3 or 4 songs, then Mike Mills walked out and joined in on bass. A few songs later, Pete Buck walked out holding his guitar in one hand and a little amp in the other. The three of them proceeded to kill. They played about 2 hours. Even did Driver 8 and a few other R.E.M. songs, plus some VU. Great memories of that night. Vic Chestnutt opened. It was the first time I had ever heard of him.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby holmes on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:17 pm

They are a strange band for me - I'm 27, so growing up, 'automatic' was played relentlessly on family car journeys when I was kid. This was pre-internet days, so I had no idea that they were originally a cool indie group, I barely even knew what that concept meant. So for me, as much as I liked what I heard, I couldn't quite accept them as my own. They always seemed like a step to far into 'mum and dad music' territory, like u2 or something - so ubiquitous and everywhere that it was impossible to form a real bond with it. When I hit about 10 or so, I heard monster and I began to think that maybe they were ok. My love for this band never really extended any deeper than that - yeah, they are ok and they write nice songs.

But then when I hit 12 or so, when it suddenly dropped for me that automatic has some great tunes - it was new orleans no 1 that did it for me. I decided to dig back and I realized that they have a fuck of lot of awesome tunes. Really, really great pop, and tons of it. I am a sucker for really great pop like creedence, cheap trick, weezer etc. They are absolutely up there on the power pop front, perhaps more so than any other power pop group. Big time. So many good tracks. Off the top of my head 'bandwagon', 'wendell gee', 'wolves, lower', 'green grow the rushes', 'can't get there from here', 'nightswimming', 'strange currencies', 'south central rain', 'end of the world', 'moral kiosk'...about 20 others.

They have never been a band that I have ever really developed a truly deep bond with, which is strange considering how many of their songs I like, but fuck me if I don't think that there is an amazing melodic sensibility to their best work. I'm always immediately distrustful of people who say they like cheap trick, ramones, big star etc, and then cannot at least even appreciate the craftsmanship in REM. They have great melodies and chord progressions. It's simple as that, and it's a fucking hard thing to do.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes

Postby i am the smud on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm

holmes wrote:growing up, 'automatic' was played relentlessly on family car journeys when I was kid. This was pre-internet days, so I had no idea that they were originally a cool indie group, I barely even knew what that concept meant.

Me too, my mom used to play that album on cassette all the time. I would ask her to rewind it to Man on the Moon over and over again, I loved that song (still do). I can't really divorce my notions of nostalgia from my enjoyment of that album, not that I want to.

I didn't become aware of their 'indie roots' until 10 years ago, when I was a little kid I even thought that James Taylor was the guy who fronted R.E.M., their voices do sound a little similar.

I've been listening to R.E.M. lately, mainly Chronic Town and Fables of the Reconstruction. There's a bunch of songs on the later album I find forgettable at the moment, but maybe they'll grow on me. However those first 4 or 5 songs are pretty damn good, I especially like Feeling Gravity's Pull.

Me and my friend watched some of their videos last night, and uh, save for Talk About the Passion man R.E.M. had some pretty lame music videos.
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm not sure how Bradley R. Weissenberger pulled it off, but it sounds like he was able to get former R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe to sing for his new band, the Book-Burners. Quite a coup!
Angus Jung

Postby jeff_fox on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Angus Jung wrote:I'm not sure how Bradley R. Weissenberger pulled it off, but it sounds like he was able to get former R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe to sing for his new band, the Book-Burners. Quite a coup!

zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby hench on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:I'm not sure how Bradley R. Weissenberger pulled it off, but it sounds like he was able to get former R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe to sing for his new band, the Book-Burners. Quite a coup!

i absolutely love this, and the full playlist is going to be my work soundtrack for the day. what a wonderful treat on a gloomy thursday - thanks, caffeinated! thanks, document!
hench

Postby jeff_fox on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:30 pm

I apologize for the dying cat in the last 3 or so songs. that rick chooses to not stay in tune some days....
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby Braniac5 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:28 am

Mega Crapola Royale

I'd rather hear the TuNeYaRdS, they are at least funny
Braniac5
mister rogers
mister rogers