home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: R.E.M.

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

R.E.M.?

Crap
72
32%
Not Crap
152
68%
 
Total votes : 224

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby rappard on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:40 am

hench wrote:
EmpireStateTroopers wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:I'm not sure how Bradley R. Weissenberger pulled it off, but it sounds like he was able to get former R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe to sing for his new band, the Book-Burners. Quite a coup!



i absolutely love this, and the full playlist is going to be my work soundtrack for the day. what a wonderful treat on a gloomy thursday - thanks, caffeinated! thanks, document!

+1. Great rendition!
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
User avatar
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1551
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Dutchland

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby AnthonyCinder on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:35 pm

There's been much discussion of Fables on this thread. I've always liked it, never loved it, but I think I'm starting to love it now. Man, that is a weird fucking record for REM to put out between Reckoning and Pageant. Weirder still that the band hates it so much, it's solid and stands well on its own.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
User avatar
AnthonyCinder
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: skull

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby Myshkin on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:59 pm

Nevermind.
Myshkin
timex
timex
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:24 am

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby Podge9 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:23 am

User avatar
Podge9
wolf
wolf
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:45 am
Location: UK

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:41 am

Damn, that screwy diminished chord in vii. G becomes G#dim.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8911
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:39 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:There's been much discussion of Fables on this thread. I've always liked it, never loved it, but I think I'm starting to love it now. Man, that is a weird fucking record for REM to put out between Reckoning and Pageant. Weirder still that the band hates it so much, it's solid and stands well on its own.

The members of R.E.M. don't hate Fables.

"Recorded during a period of internal strife—largely due to the R.E.M. members' homesickness and an unpleasant London winter—the band's unenthusiastic view of the album has been public for years, and is often reflected among fans and the press. Drummer Bill Berry was quoted in the early 1990s as saying that Fables of the Reconstruction "sucked"; frontman Michael Stipe once shared the opinion but lately has said he considers it home to some of their more notable songs, telling producer Joe Boyd that he had grown to love the album. Peter Buck, in the liner notes of the 25th Anniversary Deluxe edition, said, 'Over the years, a certain misapprehension about Fables of the Reconstruction has built up. For some reason, people have the impression that the members of R.E.M. don't like the record. Nothing could be further from the truth. [...] It's a personal favorite, and I'm really proud of how strange it is. Nobody but R.E.M. could have made that record.'"

Angus Jung wrote:I'm not sure how Bradley R. Weissenberger pulled it off, but it sounds like he was able to get former R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe to sing for his new band, the Book-Burners. Quite a coup!

It is true. I sound an awful lot like Michael Stipe, and I know that I am going to take shit for it.

I have quit worrying about it.
User avatar
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns
 
Posts: 7320
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:22 pm
Location: Western Michigan

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Having Michael Stipe's voice didn't do Michael Stipe any harm.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8911
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby AnthonyCinder on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:
AnthonyCinder wrote:There's been much discussion of Fables on this thread. I've always liked it, never loved it, but I think I'm starting to love it now. Man, that is a weird fucking record for REM to put out between Reckoning and Pageant. Weirder still that the band hates it so much, it's solid and stands well on its own.

The members of R.E.M. don't hate Fables.

"Recorded during a period of internal strife—largely due to the R.E.M. members' homesickness and an unpleasant London winter—the band's unenthusiastic view of the album has been public for years, and is often reflected among fans and the press. Drummer Bill Berry was quoted in the early 1990s as saying that Fables of the Reconstruction "sucked"; frontman Michael Stipe once shared the opinion but lately has said he considers it home to some of their more notable songs, telling producer Joe Boyd that he had grown to love the album. Peter Buck, in the liner notes of the 25th Anniversary Deluxe edition, said, 'Over the years, a certain misapprehension about Fables of the Reconstruction has built up. For some reason, people have the impression that the members of R.E.M. don't like the record. Nothing could be further from the truth. [...] It's a personal favorite, and I'm really proud of how strange it is. Nobody but R.E.M. could have made that record.'"

Angus Jung wrote:I'm not sure how Bradley R. Weissenberger pulled it off, but it sounds like he was able to get former R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe to sing for his new band, the Book-Burners. Quite a coup!

It is true. I sound an awful lot like Michael Stipe, and I know that I am going to take shit for it.

I have quit worrying about it.


I think Buck is engaging in some innocent revisionism there, but it's great that they came around to it.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
User avatar
AnthonyCinder
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: skull

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby madmanmunt on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:Having Michael Stipe's voice didn't do Michael Stipe any harm.


Maybe not, but it harmed millions of listeners the world over.

It's a joke!
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
User avatar
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4854
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:25 pm
Location: Bill Swansea

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby flytox on Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Recently I found "Murmur", "Fables of the Reconstruction" and "Life´s Rich Pageant" for very little money so I gave them a try. I like those records more than anything else I have ever heard from R.E.M. Most of the music on there is quite okay.

My problem with R.E.M. was and is that I don´t like most of the bands and musicians they were inspired by (Velvet Underground, Patti Smith etc.), I don´t like a lot of the "emotional" stuff they did ("Drive", "Everybody hurts", "Let me in" etc.) and I don´t like the stereotypical R.E.M. fan (thoughtful young man, politically correct, vegan).

There are a bunch of things that make me respect them a lot. Short form: it would have been easy for them to do a lot of bad things. They did not.

Long form:

1. From beginning to end they really liked their own music. They never changed too much.
2. When they reached arena status they still played the same (boring but honest) show they had ever played in clubs in the early 80s. They only added some video projection stuff…but they never changed their stage behavior.
3. They never tried to appear cute or sexy. They were no groupie band.
4. They gathered a cult following that did not turn away from them even when they started to sell millions of records. That indicates that there was something pure and real about them.
5. They found their very own sound. Apart from Stipe´s voice you would always recognize an R.E.M. song (a few horrible exceptions aside).

Not for me...but NOT CRAP.
User avatar
flytox
hubert humphrey
hubert humphrey
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:39 am
Location: Germany

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby The Het on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:17 am

I tuned out around Reveal. Don't know why. Loved everything before that, even.

I would say New Adventures is their finest hour.

Not crap.
User avatar
The Het
mother superior
mother superior
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:31 am

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby Redline on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:24 am

Who stole who's riff? Radio Free Europe?
phpBB [media]

The REM/MTV thing is on VH-1 Classics, I'll dvr it but there's tons of other stuff I need to watch first (Svengoolie, Sound of Music)...

Oh well, I still like Murmur, 10 years on!
User avatar
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9204
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby sitwell on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:54 pm

I actually think REM is an underrated band by a lot of music nerds. The older I get, the more I understand it. That's not easy to do. NC.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby The Het on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:32 am

sitwell wrote:I actually think REM is an underrated band by a lot of music nerds. The older I get, the more I understand it. That's not easy to do. NC.

I tend to agree. They're not "cool" to like at this point. Even less than U2. I can see how people who were around for the ascension of this group to think they were milquetoast pansy crap but there's no reason why they shouldn't be revered by the Pitchfork hordes. It'll come around I'm sure. Let them be missed a little bit. Certainly overstayed their welcome by some years.

Also, some credit should be given to R.E.M., for better or worse, in the discussion of 80s rock and metal dying an ignoble death to the "alternative" movement. R.E.M. really did a lot of the grunt work for Nirvana. Again, for better or worse.

I think they spent their last decade mired in Crap but before that, I give them a solid Not Crap. Their music doesn't thrill me at 35 like it did when I was 15, but I'll always stick up for 'em.
User avatar
The Het
mother superior
mother superior
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:31 am

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:48 am

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/r ... trump-cruz

Michael Stipe wrote:Go fuck yourselves, the lot of you—you sad, attention-grabbing, power-hungry little men. Do not use our music or my voice for your moronic charade of a campaign.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
User avatar
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12060
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: athens, ga

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby wotown on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:13 am

I don't listen to them as much as I did in high school/college, but when I go back, I like it even more now than then.

Waffles for 50% of Out of Time being garbage, and tuning out after not being charmed by Monster. Still need to go back and pick the diamonds out of those last several albums.
I play bass in Body Futures
I sing and play whatever's needed in The Five Mod Four
I rarely use Twitter
User avatar
wotown
baboon
baboon
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby m3kcomp on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:43 pm

wotown wrote:Still need to go back and pick the diamonds out of those last several albums.


Good luck, Ellsworth...
m3kcomp
redd foxx
redd foxx
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby curry pervert on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Forced coolness: CRAP
Art rock posing: CRAP
Calculated 'Indie-ness': CRAP
Corporate rock masquerading as something it's not: CRAP
Bland music: CRAP
Trying to be witty/clever lyrics: CRAP
Stipe with Stripe: CRAP

THIS:

phpBB [media]


CRAP
caix wrote:Whoever said they started missing Clocker Bob after reading your dribble, I didn't get it at first. Now I totally get it. I am really missing Bob right now.
User avatar
curry pervert
walter mondale
walter mondale
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: surfing the ether

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby zircona1 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:02 pm

I got into them with 'What's the Frequency, Kenneth?' and Monster when it came out in '94, and I was in high school. Before that, I didn't care about them, even kind of disliked 'Losing My Religion' and 'Everybody Hurts'. But Monster led me to all of their other WB releases, which had so many good tunes. I didn't even get into the IRS stuff until years later - in part because the sound quality wasn't that good (I remember getting the remastered Murmur for Christmas one year).

I'm grateful that I got to see them live several times throughout the years, the best one being when they toured for Up in '99. The stage design was this Pop Art-inspired 'roped lighting' that would light up for different songs, I thought it was the coolest:

Image

When people ask me who my favorite bands are, R.E.M. is the first one that comes to mind.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
User avatar
zircona1
rose royce
rose royce
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:51 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Band: R.E.M.

Postby ErikG on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:08 pm

A very good band early on and enough good moments in their later years to earn an easy NC.

edited to say here is a great rock n' band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do6DZQXwQNM
Last edited by ErikG on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ErikG
cecil bill
cecil bill
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], ErikG and 8 guests