63%
Sexy: Finally my very particular tastes have been catered for
20%
Eurgh: I went for naked celebs and got harrowing alienation
10%

Total votes : 30

Re: ScarJo Species Reboot: Under the Skin

Postby bruj on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:20 pm

I loved it, it stayed with me for days afterwards and the soundtrack was something else.

I'd read before going to see it it's one of those films people either like or hate and that seems to be the case amongst people who've seen it in my experience.

Apparently most of the men Johansson picked up in Glasgow weren't actors and were genuinely people who just happened to be walking by at the time with the dialogue being unscripted.

There was a nice article in the Guardian about the chap who played the character that the alien picked up and had empathy with, http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/ap ... figurement

And brunette Johansonn :smt007
bruj
sister
sister

Postby enframed on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Angus Jung wrote:Nic Roeg comparisons...

Yes, this film is much more Roeg than Kubrick, to whom Glazer is also being compared. I don't see the latter comparison in this particular film.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby jimmywahcrowbar on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Saw this last night. Great movie. I walked out of the cinema feeling pretty strange - there are a few scenes I still can't get out of my head, especially the underwater scene. Love the droning soundtrack too.

I highly recommend this if you like slow and intense movies.
jimmywahcrowbar
les miserables
les miserables

Postby Justin Foley on Sun May 11, 2014 9:32 pm

I thought it was great. I saw it last night and am seriously considering going to see it again tonight. (I'm away from home for work.)

Now part of this may be because I am now irrationally attracted to Johansson, so there's that.

But the method of story-telling - presenting the needed details and not really bothering with anything else - really clicked with me. Spoiler: The beach scene, especially the final shot of the kid, was super unsettling. The transition from city to country, the protagonist's subtle change, the final shot ... man, they had my number. And the use of music was as good as Psycho or the Shining. Great, great soundtrack.

Fuck it, if I can finish this thing I'm working on in the next hour, I think I just talked myself into the 9:15 showing.

= Justin
Justin Foley
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby tallchris on Tue May 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Fucking awesome movie. I wanted to watch it again pretty soon after we left the theater.

ScarJo was great, soundtrack was great, and now I want to catch up with Glazer's other films.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Angus Jung on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Finally saw it. No masterpiece but firmly NC.
Angus Jung

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:01 am

It was great. As much as I enjoyed Sexy Beast, I didn't see something like this coming. It was very nicely done, and very consistent in tone and vision. Way NC.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:40 pm

I completely missed the point of that film. It was fantastically done, all the shots were awesomely looking and so was music and sound editing, very Kubrick-esque. But other than that it was Scarlett Johanson giving blank stares and 15 or so seconds of dead air at the beginning of every shot, I guess so everyone would be sure this is art, not just a film? Kinda the feeling I get from some of David Lynch films? "Look at this, it's so well shot, symbolic and smart you can write the plot for your self". Felt too artsy-fartsy to me. Crap with :WF:5 for the visuals.

edit: calling it a "'Species' reboot" is A+++
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby Podge9 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Thought it was very good and I thought about a lot for the next few days which is always a sign a film's doing something right.
Not a film I'm likely to want to watch again though
Podge9
wolf
wolf

Postby Adam Sr on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:23 pm

An amazing film. Nothing released this year comes close to its non-crapness.
Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Justin Foley on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:28 pm

krs wrote:Differences between the two aside, I think you have to read the book to really understand what is gong on in the periphery.

A big part of the movie's appeal is that you don't need to understand what's going on behind the periphery. It presents what it presents.

= Justin
Justin Foley

Postby tahmph on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:08 am

Just watched this and like it quite a bit.

My theory: the girl who ScarJo gets her clothes from in the beginning was the same type of "alien" and ScarJo was essentially just born/created and was her replacement. They essentially serve motorcycle man and the black pool.

I liked a lot that she did not really have any powers or weapons or anything, other than being hot.
tahmph
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby punch_the_lion on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:41 pm

enframed wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:Nic Roeg comparisons...

Yes, this film is much more Roeg than Kubrick, to whom Glazer is also being compared. I don't see the latter comparison in this particular film.

+2

Reminded me of The Man Who Fell To Earth while watching it. Probably one of the best films from last year, if I was going to make a list.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby prowler on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:23 pm

tahmph wrote:My theory: the girl who ScarJo gets her clothes from in the beginning was the same type of "alien" and ScarJo was essentially just born/created and was her replacement. They essentially serve motorcycle man and the black pool.

my "theory" (it doesn't make sense but is how i liked to look at it) is the black pool doesn't exist as such, the black pool scenes are metaphors for the guys getting destroyed by the Scarjo character. (of course once you go that way you can read everything metaphorically - she's no alien, just a troubled girl with "darkness" inside)
prowler
took picture of naked guy

Postby Dudley on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:40 pm

I was really struck by the difference made by not having standard extras, not filming it in the controlled evironnment in which films are normally shot, etc. The scenes in the mall and the shopping streets were hypnotic as a result. A world away from your normal street scene. Even just the flow and positioning of passers-by. Seeing her walk among them became gripping, and weirdly moving. Really really good.

EDIT: it's a drone film, isn't it? Because for once, you and your eye aren't being led in the same way they usually are. You focus on tangental things. You stare at her face - is there a change? Is that the point of this scene? etc.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby prowler on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:58 am

^sad to say all these things wouldn't have seemed so out of place in the 70s
prowler

Postby Dudley on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:48 am

prowler wrote:^sad to say all these things wouldn't have seemed so out of place in the 70s

True, but filmmakers tend to be (in the main) cinephiles. They know that. They bring in elements from genres or periods that they like all the time, but this is one that a) I haven't seen so much in recent films and b) I haven't seen used to such powerful effect.

Watching a lot of "indie"/arthouse cinema, you are constantly bombarded by things directors have assimilated from films/genres/periods they like, and a lot of the time it's just empty "that's cool, I'll use that, then my film will be cool by association". I don't care where any "effect" (for want of a better word) comes from, just if it makes the film it's in better.

Sorry, just bored of 70's film worship, and the idea that it was a cinematic paradise. People have conveniently forgotten the deluge of shit cynical moronical 70's films. A lot of the shit things in shit modern films wouldn't have looked so out of place in shit 70's films.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley

Postby prowler on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:08 am

oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a 70s ripoff. it's a directorial decision and it's (mostly) the right one for the film. i was just saying that - for good and bad - this kind of aesthetic was more mainstream in the 70s, and the only reason it looks fresh or alien or arty to us is that it's not as common anymore.

that said, there's plenty of cinema verite stuff in arty films today too, they just don't happen to star scarlett
prowler

Postby blackmarket on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:13 pm

prowler wrote:
tahmph wrote:My theory: the girl who ScarJo gets her clothes from in the beginning was the same type of "alien" and ScarJo was essentially just born/created and was her replacement. They essentially serve motorcycle man and the black pool.

my "theory" (it doesn't make sense but is how i liked to look at it) is the black pool doesn't exist as such, the black pool scenes are metaphors for the guys getting destroyed by the Scarjo character. (of course once you go that way you can read everything metaphorically - she's no alien, just a troubled girl with "darkness" inside)

Why couldn't dude find the hole?
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby newberry on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:46 pm

Mesmerizing, strange, enigmatic, thought-provoking.
newberry
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap