Milwaukee

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Milwaukee?

Crap
8%
Not Crap
83%
A little Crap, A little Not Crap, like most places.
8%

Total votes : 24

Milwaukee

Postby dontfeartheringo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:43 pm

There is a Milwaukee vs. Chicago thread, I know. There is also a Milwaukee vs. Madison thread, yes.

This, however, is the thread where we talk about Milwaukee and its pros and cons.

Love it? Hate it? Let's talk about Milwaukee.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Re: Milwaukee

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:45 pm

They have a beautiful art museum.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby dontfeartheringo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:48 pm

...and also an excellent theatre scene. My wife looks at Milwaukee and gets a lot of ideas. Ideas like "You could be a house husband and focus on your music" ideas.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Andy on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Discovery World is great, http://www.discoveryworld.org/ They had a a fantastic Les Paul exhibit that apparently is no longer there and has moved to another museum. http://lespaulexperience.org/

BarCamp Milwaukee is tomorrow: http://barcampmilwaukee.org/ It's being held at Bucketworks, a great geek collaborative space. http://bucketworks.org/

RushMor is a great record store. http://www.rushmor.com/

Miller Park is a fine stadium. http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mil/ballpark/

I saw Big Drill Car there years ago.

I can think of nothing crap about Milwaukee.
Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby yaledelay on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:59 pm

The crap of Milwaukee:

Parts of the School system are very bad.
We are a very very segregated city.
90% of the MPD is crap esp the Sheriff is a dickwad, who runs as a Dem but is really a Repub.
The outer burbs are super right wing.
Liquor stores close at 9 pm.
The parking laws on the east side and downtown makes no god damn sense at all.
Getting a taxi in this town esp after a night of drinking is impossible.
Public Transport kind of sucks compared to say Boston which is a city of similar size.

That is all I can think of for the craps, the non-craps are to many to list.

NOT CRAP.
Last edited by yaledelay on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaledelay
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Is The Palm still open? What a great bar.
Angus Jung

Postby yaledelay on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Angus Jung wrote:Is The Palm still open? What a great bar.

Yup and yup.

Same people also own the Sugar Maple which is also a great bar.
Last edited by yaledelay on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaledelay

Postby Andy on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:06 pm

yaledelay wrote:The crap of Milwaukee:

90% of the MPD is crap esp the Sheriff is a dickwad, who runs as a Dem but is really a Repub.

So it sounds like all the crap is mostly crap only if you live there.

Oh, and a big NC for Shank Hall http://www.shankhall.com/ Stuff I've seen there:

* UFO
* Dis- as Gary Numan, with Couch Flambeau opening
* A local all-female production of Jesus Christ Superstar
* and maybe Dick Dale, but I'm not sure.
Andy

Postby yaledelay on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:08 pm

Andy wrote:
yaledelay wrote:The crap of Milwaukee:

So it sounds like all the crap is mostly crap only if you live there.

Oh, and a big NC for Shank Hall http://www.shankhall.com/ Stuff I've seen there:

* UFO
* Dis- as Gary Numan, with Couch Flambeau opening
* A local all-female production of Jesus Christ Superstar
* and maybe Dick Dale, but I'm not sure.

SHANK HALL IS TOTAL CRAP

I understand if you don't live here you might not get this, but it is total crap.
yaledelay

Postby Andy on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:11 pm

yaledelay wrote:
SHANK HALL IS TOTAL CRAP

I understand if you don't live here you might not get this, but it is total crap.

Do tell, for us out-of-towners.
Andy

Postby warmowski on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Was just up there to take a lake cruise with The Madeira, who killed it.

Ate at one of FMDJ's recommended burger joints, Oscar's, who also killed it.

Dropped some cash for vinyl at Bullseye Records, who, you won't be shocked to learn, killed it. Snagged a pretty mint and reasonably priced copy of Tonto's Expanding Head Band's Zero Time.

Wall-to-wall killing it, basically.

Killwaukee.

-r
warmowski

Postby Uecker on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Lived there for 15 years, still am up there frequently... a vastly underrated "small" big city imo. It is obviously not without its' share of problems, but a great location right between madison & chicago on the lake. Good music, arts, dining, recreation, sports, a couple colleges, access to the northwoods... it has a lot to offer, much like chicago, but on a significantly smaller scale. If you know where the good spots are (and there are a ton of interesting local small businesses/entrepreneurs), it's a wonderful place that's easy to get around for the most part, and has a relatively low cost of living. My wife is of German descent, so she enjoyed her time there very much as well. Not Crap.
Uecker
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss

Postby yaledelay on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Andy wrote:Discovery World is great, http://www.discoveryworld.org/ They had a a fantastic Les Paul exhibit that apparently is no longer there and has moved to another museum. http://lespaulexperience.org/

I am pretty sure Waukesha (where Paul is really from) either has or is going to open a separate Les Paul Museum. We also have the Harley Museum which is pretty cool too.
yaledelay

Postby 154 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:06 pm

I would leave this hellhole* for it in a second if my lady and I could get good jobs. Not Crap at all.

*cranky today, but I still love MKE.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Easily in the top ten Chicago suburbs
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby yaledelay on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Easily in the top ten Chicago suburbs

No more Sour Cherry beer for you Sir.
yaledelay

Postby Rog on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:32 pm

warmowski wrote:
Dropped some cash for vinyl at Bullseye Records, who, you won't be shocked to learn, killed it. Snagged a pretty mint and reasonably priced copy of Tonto's Expanding Head Band's Zero Time.

-r

Vinyl in Milwaukee, Wisconsin?
Try Acme Records, Pteranodon.
Last edited by Rog on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Ewalt
Arch-Druid
Wisconsin Lunker League
Rog
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby iembalm on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:46 pm

I moved there from Monterey to get married in 1994. Lived on the east side from then until moving to Oregon in 1999.

Segregated. As much racial tension as any city I've lived in, which includes Los Angeles.

Summers are brutally hot and humid. Winters are inconvenient to drive in during, and shoveling sucks, but I like the cold so I don't mind the temperature.

Lots of stuff to do when the weather is good. Summerfest is what it is, but there are church/ethnic festivals going on all the time when the sun is out.

I left before all of the ridiculousness with the governor and his lockstep asshole cronies happened during the last decade. Made me yearn for the days of Gov. Thompson, which actually sucks, doesn't it?

Good food city. Good beer city. Lake Michigan. Green Bay Packers - I buried and/or cremated many people wearing Packers jerseys while I was there, and forget about driving if the roads need to be plowed on a Sunday during football season.

Mark Belling can kiss my ass.

I'd live there again, I guess. It's a good place to be a funeral director. People have actual funerals and you're not just a rubber-stamp functionary.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby whoisalhedges on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Rog wrote:
warmowski wrote:

-r

Vinyl in Milwaukee, Wisconsin?
Try Acme Records, Pteranodon.

Acme was a welcome addition to the MKE record store scene for one huge reason: 45s.

Bullseye and Rush-Mor are great record stores; and let's be honest, guys: I know it's a chain (based in like Green Bay, so don't go nuts) but Exclusive Company is a damn good record store, too, and they have a lot more *new* LPs than the others. There are three Half Price Books locations in the metro area: as a used store, obviously, quality will fluctuate based upon what people been selling of late; on the other hand, as a used record store, prices are low.

None of those stores have a selection of 45s/7"s/singles worth a shit. Before Acme, you had to go to Musical Memories for smaller platters. Now that's not the worst thing in the world. Musical Memories is kind of an amazing record store -- it's like an open daily, stationary record convention. There is an entire wall of 7"s, a WALL from floor to like 6' up, shelves about 8" apart covering the entire fucking wall, full of records. When it comes to 10"s and long players, the bins are so full you gotta pull stacks out to look through 'em, the fit is too tight in the bins to do the ol' flip. If you're looking for that ONE record you can't find anywhere, try Musical Memories before hitting Discogs and waiting a week. There's gotta be a catch, right? Yeah. It's overpriced. I mean, most of the records are priced at book value; but you wonder where that came from, since (at least in the Cream City) you always see records priced way less.

But that's the awesomeness of Acme. Good prices, yeah? Oh yeah. Okay, there's not AN ENTIRE FUCKING WALL OF 45s. But there are two or three high school cafeteria tables covered with boxes full of 'em. Good prices, good selection, good store. I didn't mention the larger format records. They have those, too. An exceptional selection of rock, jazz, reggae, folk, blues, hip-hop, world, "novelty," experimental/noise, dance - a bit shy on classical; probably the closest thing to a negative I can come up with. Even that's not so much a negative; because Acme is vinyl-only, and some movements in classical compositions are too long for a single LP side.

RANK! Milwaukee record stores:
1) Bullseye (formerly Farwell Music, back when it was located on Farwell Avenue)
2) Acme (owner used to work at Bullseye)
3) This is where Atomic Records would go if it hadn't been closed down. :cry:
4) Exclusive Company (some may quibble on accounta it being a big company - fuck 'em, it's a good store)
5) Musical Memories (would be top-3 if not for prices)
6) Rush-Mor (lots of people rank it higher, it just doesn't have the selection of the others - I think it says a lot about MKE's record-buying culture that a store that really is as awesome as Rush-Mor only comes in at #6)
7) Half-Price Books (you probably have one in your town, same deal here)

Dunno about any others, this is my Milwaukee record-buying experience.

For the hell of it, RANK! Milwaukee musical instrument stores, again, only places I've bought from:
1) Cream City Music - Rarely, but occasionally, have drums and keys - mainly a guitar store. That said, it's where you'll find 100-year-old axes in town. Vintage guitars/basses, amps, effects out the ass. They're also a vendor of Gibson & Fender, and one of the biggest licensed Gretsch dealers in the WORLD. Think Chicago Music Exchange with better prices. Prices aren't great for MKE, though. Not overpriced (what *is* overpriced for a 1929 L-5?), just not cheap
2) Rockhaus - Would be #1, since I love Rusty and Jim; just can't compete with Cream City in guitar selection. Rockhaus is a Squier dealer. The used selection is sometimes awesome, sometimes weak. Here's the thing: that 1986 Hamer Slammer you get at Rockhaus is probably better than the 1986 Les Paul you get at Music Go Round. Every guitar is set up lovingly; the electronics of all guitars, amps, and effects are gone over in-house to ensure A-1 operation. When they have really good pieces in stock, that's just a bonus. An AMAZING collection of beautiful drums/percussion at VERY good prices.
3) Wade's Guitar Shop - Just guitars. Wade, Alex, and Garrett are great guys. It might be #2, or at least tied, if they had drums. Wade's a good luthier who does a great job on setups & electronic work; like Rockhaus they put together AWESOME parts guitars in-house.
4) Cascio Interstate Music - No offense to their GREAT EMPLOYEES intended by ranking them so low, I just find them sterile. Guitar prices and selection are uninspiring. Drums may be better, I'm no expert on that side. It's where you go if you want, like, a sax or something,
5/6) Music Go Round/Guitar Center - You know what they are, you know what they're crap for, you know what they're not crap for.

I've never bought anything at Top Shelf; never was *allowed* to buy anything at Dracula's, I mean Faust; never shopped the school band-focused shops.
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby J. Burns on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:01 pm

I ask my wife about once a month if we can move to Milwaukee. Eventually, she will say yes.
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap