Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Nico

CRAP
24%
NOT CRAP
76%

Total votes : 66

Postby Dr. O' Nothing on Fri May 09, 2008 3:24 pm

sparky wrote:Not crap. I don't believe any other singer could have improved on 'It Was A Pleasure Then'.

I've loved the Desert Shore and Marble Index LPs, VU for years,...certainly NC...and/but...

...yesterday I heard the version of this song from the VU "Peel Slowly..." boxset for the first time in my life.

Upon completion, i felt as if it was one of the best and most moving pieces of music i have laid ears on. Ever. So good, i'm hesitant to revisit it.

Is that the same version that's on Chelsea? I don't remember it like that at all. According to the info i can find, it is. Holy fuck.

(i was in something of a mood yesterday): caveat
Dr. O' Nothing
life
life

Postby japmn on Fri May 09, 2008 4:13 pm

Tom Wilson is very not crap and those records sound great.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Dr. Geek on Sat May 10, 2008 2:24 am

For her cameo in La Dolce Vita, she gets a NOT CRAP.
My Radio Show: Hex Enduction Hours On 91.3 FM KXCI Tucson - Recent Playlists

Bringing you the best punk, post-punk, and noise rock from the US/UK and beyond! Every Thursday midnight to 3AM MST (stream online at http://www.kxci.org)
Dr. Geek
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Mark Lansing on Sun May 11, 2008 10:30 am

James Young, who played keyboards in Nico's touring band during the last six years of her life, wrote a funny and harrowing book about working with her called Songs They Never Play On The Radio. It's plenty entertaining, but heartbreaking to see what became of someone who had the talent and vision to make Chelsea Girl, The Marble Index and Desertshore. Kids, that's why you stay away from opiates.

For the three albums mentioned above, not crap. But it's a long way down after that.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Sun May 11, 2008 2:14 pm

I put on Chelsea Girl last night as I was doing the dishes, and it sounded wonderful. I can't fucking believe that Jackson Browne wrote "The Fairest of the Seasons."
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Sun May 11, 2008 3:24 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:For the three albums mentioned above, not crap. But it's a long way down after that.

no way, The End is easily her second (and arguably but not easily her first) best album!
placeholder wrote:I'm in The Family Ghost. I don't like mentioning my band by name too much because I feel cheesy doing it.
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Re: chanteuse: Nico

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 pm

I listened to The Marble Index tonight for the first time.

This is almost certainly one of the best albums I've ever heard in my life and I can't believe I was stupid enough not to hear it already.

Anyway, I already voted Not Crap for Nico because of the Velvet Underground. This reaffirms it a lot harder.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:34 pm

"Janitor of Lunacy" is an incredible song and I've often fantasized about doing a slow, sludgy, guitar-driven cover of it accompanied by a drummer playing w/mallets.

Desertshore, The Marble Index, and, a bit less so, The End are all fantastic, fantastic records. Better than anything she sang w/the Velvets. Sour European art music at its finest. Some of the greatest sounds produced during the 1970s, period. (Ok, The Marble Index is technically from 1969 but who the fuck cares?)

Chelsea Girl feels too lightweight and insubstantial.

Nico's smacked-out new wave stuff from the '80s is horrible. Craig Gray from the Toiling Midgets has a really amusing anecdote about opening for her in 1982 and losing to her at pool.

A pretty, pretty thing who turned into an extraordinarily talented trainwreck. Eventually, the beast ate the beauty and the talent disappeared, too. Which is a real shame.

But not crap for those three wonderful albums.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby mattw on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Vut a kloun...cuz everybody knows...

Crap
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:20 am

Nico was captured in some Philippe Garrel films.

Not Crap for that alone, though I like her singing too.
madmanmunt wrote:You think Michelangelo Antonioni popped out of the womb with Monica Vitti in one hand and the reels of L'Avventura in the other?
Dave//Eksvplot

Postby bassdriver on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:43 am

this thread made me think about what year it might have been when I saw Nico.
turns out it was in 1986, and somebody recorded that show!
my 20 year old mind was blown!
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby goatlord on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:15 am

I have never enjoyed The Velvet Underground. For some reason, those songs bore the fuck out of me! For that reason, I've been incredibly slow to hear the solo projects of it's members, and it always surprises me how good those all are, and how different from VU are, in a good way! Nico is my latest discovery. And I haven't really liked anything I heard from Moe Tucker, outside that colaboration with the pre-Sun City Girls, so it looks like I'm finally done with discovering the Velvets.

The Marble Index is a bit too... naive? for me, I guess. It's good for some depressive times, but the lyrics are very important, and they seem a bit too hacky at times (please, don't kill me), but Desertshore and The End? Specially The End? Oh, lady, those records are great! The End sounds like the best parts of Radiohead, 20 years before it happened, and it even has a GOOD cover of a Doors song, which I thought was impossible! (I know that everything I typed about the end sounds like a death sentence in this forum)

Camera Obscura is also a good, but uneven, record. It reminds me a bit of the post-La Düsseldorf projects of Klaus Dinger, in that it's kind of a re-imagination with other instruments of the artist's earlier ideas, and sometimes there is magic, and sometimes the artist is so confused and lazy that it's almost painful to listen to it, trying to make sense of itself.

NC, WF for some iffy material, being a bit of a "dionysian poet" and kind of an asshole. But whoever got out of VU without turning into a sociopath for a bit in their life? No one!

Yeah, Nico. Wow, you surprised me! You go, girl!
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Re:

Postby M.H on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:42 am

Angus Jung wrote:
Cranius wrote:There was a very thorough Nico documentary on the BBC, a couple of years back, and John Cale played an incredible rendition of 'Frozen Warnings' on the piano at the end.

Yes. This was a very passionate, moving tribute.

I know nothing about their relationship, other than the fact that they worked together musically. But seeing Cale play this song, you know he must have really loved her.

Nico gets a big N/C from me.

This excellent documentary is available here, with English subtitles. Well worth a watch, even if you're not a fan of the music. She absorbed (and then through her work, reflected) a lot of awful things, I think. And then went on to inflict them on the people around her.

phpBB [media]

The Marble Index is a truly a wretched, brutal record. The sound of a world barely lit by a dying sun.

N.C for the first 4 albums, though I can rarely bring myself to listen to her music these days.
Last edited by M.H on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
M.H
boris spassky
boris spassky

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 am

I don't think anyone's ever come closer to channeling an other-worldly phenomenon than Nico. John Cale's embellishments are incredible, but the BBC sessions where it's just Nico and her harmonium are powerful; she was a force.

I listened to The Marble Index almost every day for a year straight at 18. I chose it for my soundtrack when I walked thru the Parisian catacombs. I think it's the greatest album in recorded music, an endless little world of death and memories that I've never been able to decipher, it lulls and it frightens but it never sounds forced in either direction.

As beautiful and kinetic as any Tarkovsky film or Shakespeare play or Pollock painting, or whatever other superlative you cling to.

Desertshore is pretty dope, too.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby RSMurphy on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:24 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:
falsedog wrote:Throbbing Gristle are making their version of the Desert Shore album

And isn't that going to be the most desperately piss poor thing ever made.

I mean, as if fucking TG were ever capable of recording something on the level of 'Desert Shore'. Please. Nothing but an insult to a great, singular woman and incredible artist who was as beautiful as TG are ugly (in every conceivable way).

falsedog wrote:You're right of course, TG's reluctance to hit a note, maudlin lyrical themes and screeching violins would only undermine the approach Nico took in her recordings.

I came. I chortled. Fun times were had.

NC
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap