Total votes : 93

Postby Chromodynamic on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:35 pm

Fuck this americanized piece of shit.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby placeholder on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:28 pm

NOT CRAP.

It is markedly better than the original show.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby elmofreech on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:06 pm

TrashAGoGo wrote:I'm pretty sure tonight's episode was terrible, but as always, I need the PRF's opinions to validate mine.

I didn't laugh that much (maybe not at all), but they have to set up the season somehow.

Good show, great characters. Put this up against other shows on network television (Arrested Development excluded) and it leaves them in the dust.

not crap.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby Redline on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:45 am

Yeah I said it. The American version is funnier.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Nico Adie on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:54 am

placeholder wrote:NOT CRAP.

These are extraordinarily bold claims!
Nico Adie
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby tmidgett on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:59 pm

I've tried, but the original is perfect, and the remake seems like very weak tea by comparison.

About half as funny as 30 Rock.

Crap.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby AdamPee on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:45 pm

I'm not sure how to compare them as if they were different seasons of the same show, they have very different feels, and I definitely enjoy them both, for different reasons.

NOT CRAP
The Boss wrote:Ever have eighteen Grammy awards shoved up your ass?
AdamPee
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:30 pm

AdamPee wrote:I'm not sure how to compare them as if they were different seasons of the same show, they have very different feels, and I definitely enjoy them both, for different reasons.

NOT CRAP

Totally. Both shows are on about equal footing in terms of quality. There are just some trade-offs. The BBC version is a little dryer, the American version is a little more deliberate, Gareth isn't as creepy as Dwight, but Dwight isn't as squirly as Gareth. Ricky Gervais and Steve Carrell both portray equally hatable bosses, but Gervais is more believably awkward, where Carrell is more hilariously absurd.

Two great shows, one office. Like that? Could be a tag line for a dual-series DVD. I'm great at this.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby ghosting on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:23 am

placeholder wrote:NOT CRAP.

you WHAT? :shock:
lemur68 wrote:Bees make honey. That's what they do. Make honey, protect the queen, have sex with flowers, and occasionally rip their butt out after stinging a motherfucker.
ghosting
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby joelb on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:13 am

The original almost never went off the rails in search of a laugh. The realism is why it could be funny, heartwrenching and cringey at once - no suspension of disbelief required. I hesitate to call it a comedy, but whatever it was, it was just about the finest example of it ever created.

The American one is absurd but wants to be realist. Doesn't cut it, though it's much more entertaining than most television.
DrAwkward wrote:If SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?
joelb
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby MWilke on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:57 pm

I started watching the US version first, and I like it a lot more than the UK. It's definitely more absurd, but the characters are more interesting. The 4 or 5 episodes I've seen of the UK version, the majority of the punchlines come from David or Gareth. A punchline is possible from anyone in the US version. I also think Carell's character more dark and complex than Gervais's character that is mostly summed up in delusional egomania.

I bet I'd probably feel differently if I got around to the UK version first, though.
MWilke
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:32 am

I've seen the US version of The Office a couple times and find it to be staggeringly unfunny.

I just do not get it. Crap.

I have never seen the original UK version.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby sack of smashed assholes on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:49 pm

the season premiere was good. last season was kind of weak, the relationships were too much of the focus, and they need to go back to the bullshit that happens around the office. this season I think they're finding a balance. I have high hopes for this season.
Dr. Venkman wrote:How do I spell "Quality?" sackofsmashedassholes, that's how

Sinking Suns
sack of smashed assholes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby fancyjamtime on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:37 am

MWilke wrote:I also think Carell's character more dark and complex than Gervais's character that is mostly summed up in delusional egomania.

I find Carell's character disturbing. Gervais was an idiot. Carell is beyond that. Also, the US version is more of an ensemble piece.

Send me to hell, whatever. I like the US version better.
Buster Bluth wrote:No mother, I can blow myself! You've interfered for the last time!
fancyjamtime
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Re: TV Show: NBC's The Office

Postby Rotten Tanx on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:56 am

I've never watched the US one all the way through. Just seen a handful of episodes from the first few seasons.

I watched the first two episodes of the third series last night. Have they abandoned the concept of the documentary and just kept the filming style?

Why would the camera crew go to someones house and film secretly through the window at night?

Why, in their world, has the show not been on tv yet? Or if it has why has Michael not been fired?

Why are the characters still unaware that they're miked up when they're having "secret" conversations?

I like it but these things bug me.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Rotten Tanx on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Since making the above post I've become obssessed with it. I bought a box set of the first three seasons for £20 and then downloaded seasons 4 & 5 because for some reason they're not out in England yet.

Did anyone see the wedding? Parts of it were hilarious (most of Dwight's scenes) but the dancing thing annoyed me. Partly because I'd never seen the original youtube clip and partly because it was over the top. But Dwight kicking Pam's friend in the face redeemed it slightly.

I'm not someone who laughs out loud at comedies a lot but Angela puking through her fingers got me both times I watched it.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Tom on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Rotten Tanx wrote:
I'm not someone who laughs out loud at comedies a lot but Angela puking through her fingers got me both times I watched it.

That was the only really funny thing about the episode. I'm frankly a little shocked that that got through the network. Not too often you see one person puke on TV, let alone a whole mess.
Tom

Postby kenoki on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:19 pm

i never thought i could like it as much as the original, but i really really do. avoided it for the longest time (after watching season 1 when it first came out) but they have all the seasons available on netflix instant and we cruised through them. i think it's especially good after season 2 when they branch out on their own (having run out of uk material).

i like every character but am loving angela more and more (i didn't think she was very funny at first)... when they catch her on webcam licking her cats.... so funny.
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby timpickens on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Rotten Tanx wrote:Did anyone see the wedding? Parts of it were hilarious (most of Dwight's scenes) but the dancing thing annoyed me. Partly because I'd never seen the original youtube clip and partly because it was over the top. But Dwight kicking Pam's friend in the face redeemed it slightly.

Yeah Dwight's scenes were definitely the highlight of the episode. I was really surprised they aired the wedding episode so early in the season, I thought for sure it'd be the finale. The dancing thing pissed me off too, it just didn't seem right... the show is always over the top, of course, but having every character acting out of character to dance and act out some Youtube clip just seemed downright stupid, and perhaps a bit lazy on the writers' part.
timpickens

Postby gjp on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:00 pm

Each season has gotten weaker and weaker. It takes a backseat to most of the other shows I watch and is usually last on the list to watch every week on Hulu.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap