crap
8%
not crap
92%

Total votes : 416

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby Pasta on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:42 am

the Classical wrote:] (2021)

Wishful thinking. I was expecting 2025, celebrate my 50th with a new Shellac mp3.
Last edited by Pasta on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby mmmribsmmm on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:52 pm

I'm coming up with some friends for the IA City show. Anything good in the downtown area as far as eats/drinks that I should be aware of....anyone?
http://steadystateskc.bandcamp.com/

"Get in the car, I'm from the future."
mmmribsmmm
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby the Classical on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:46 pm

mmmribsmmm wrote:I'm coming up with some friends for the IA City show. Anything good in the downtown area as far as eats/drinks that I should be aware of....anyone?

Go to the Hamburg Inn and get a pie shake, which seems like something Shellac (or at least the bass player) would endorse.
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby sitwell on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:05 pm

mmmribsmmm wrote:I'm coming up with some friends for the IA City show. Anything good in the downtown area as far as eats/drinks that I should be aware of....anyone?

I live in town, but was too stupid to get tickets to the show before it sold out.

My favorite bar in town is Sanctuary Pub. It's like three blocks from Gabe's. Really good beer selection with a bunch of local beers. They have decent food, too. George's is pretty cool for a dive bar. Foxhead is ok, but I don't get why people make such a big deal about it. I guess some famous writers used to hang out there. The Mill is cool, too. Decent beers and well above average bar food.

For cheap food, I like Oasis. Pretty decent falafel and other Mediterranean stuff. Jimmy Jack's Rib Shack is pretty good, but would require driving. Hamburg Inn is fine, but kind of touristy. If they're full try Bluebird around the corner.

For nicer places, I like Clinton Street Social Club, One Twenty Six, Pullman, Atlas, and Basta. All are kind of overpriced.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby Ben Abraham on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:13 pm

There are good bands and then there are bands that redefine what's possible. Shellac Of North America are the latter.
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby mmmribsmmm on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:02 am

the Classical wrote:

Go to the Hamburg Inn and get a pie shake, which seems like something Shellac (or at least the bass player) would endorse.
sitwell wrote:

I live in town, but was too stupid to get tickets to the show before it sold out.

My favorite bar in town is Sanctuary Pub. It's like three blocks from Gabe's. Really good beer selection with a bunch of local beers. They have decent food, too. George's is pretty cool for a dive bar. Foxhead is ok, but I don't get why people make such a big deal about it. I guess some famous writers used to hang out there. The Mill is cool, too. Decent beers and well above average bar food.

For cheap food, I like Oasis. Pretty decent falafel and other Mediterranean stuff. Jimmy Jack's Rib Shack is pretty good, but would require driving. Hamburg Inn is fine, but kind of touristy. If they're full try Bluebird around the corner.

For nicer places, I like Clinton Street Social Club, One Twenty Six, Pullman, Atlas, and Basta. All are kind of overpriced.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Pie shake, you say? Well fuck my sweet tits....
http://steadystateskc.bandcamp.com/

"Get in the car, I'm from the future."
mmmribsmmm

Postby skoz on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:20 am

Ben Abraham wrote:There are good bands and then there are bands that redefine what's possible. Shellac Of North America are the latter.

I like Shellac and think they put on a great live show but I think you are engaging in hyperbole.
skoz
mathew hopkins
mathew hopkins

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Hyperbole is what Crap/Not Crap is all about.

HYPERBOLE NOT CRAP SOME WFs
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby travis k on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:34 pm

"Commander Riker... Engage."
travis k
mathew hopkins
mathew hopkins

Postby AdamN on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:38 am

mmmribsmmm wrote:Thanks a lot for the suggestions, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Pie shake, you say? Well fuck my sweet tits....

+1. My friend says that he wants to go to the Northside Bistro (Paris of the Midwest) but I want that pie shake. And no to the "Iowa chop".
AdamN
canasta
canasta

Postby Raa on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:41 am

skoz wrote:
Ben Abraham wrote:There are good bands and then there are bands that redefine what's possible. Shellac Of North America are the latter.

I like Shellac and think they put on a great live show but I think you are engaging in hyperbole.

Ben's statement isn't hyperbole to me. I catch myself thinking about Todd's live drumming a lot and miss it with a sort of melancholy longing.
Raa
doctor hook
doctor hook

Postby Ben Abraham on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Raa wrote:
skoz wrote:

Ben's statement isn't hyperbole to me. I catch myself thinking about Todd's live drumming a lot and miss it with a sort of melancholy longing.

That whole aluminum guitar clang thing many in this forum aspires to emulate, is because of Shellac. Those sounds, as Shellac uses them, didn't exist.

In addition to that pure song structures and song compositions, combined with a minimalist fashion is unique to Shellac; End Of Radio is a good example of this.

I'm not being hyperbolic at all. In my world, they are a ground breaking band.
Ben Abraham

Postby agiant on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Ben Abraham wrote:
they are a ground breaking band.

Yes, they are.
blah
agiant
godot
godot

Postby Gramsci on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:56 pm

agiant wrote:
Ben Abraham wrote:
they are a ground breaking band.

Yes, they are.

Yup, 99% of people that last here are not here to suck up to FM Steve, in fact I think many separate the band and the man.

Shellac, yes, a ground breaking, one of a kind band. I like some songs more than other and I like some albums more than others but unlike most rock bands using the "standard formula" they moved things forward.

It's easy to forget how much of a rare and wonderful thing that is.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby elisha wiesner on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:11 pm

Total Mouse rip off.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Gramsci on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:29 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:Total Mouse rip off.

Cute ;-)
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby skoz on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Ben, I have to disagree. The first 2 7"s and 1st LP really blew me away. Maybe it was because they were great and original maybe it was because I was 18 or 19 and particularly open to new music.The sound of the guitar in particular made a big impression. I've always enjoyed the shows and bought the records but at this point they haven't really suprised me since the first side of Terraform and that was 18 years ago. So while I do think they are a unique they just sound "like Shellac" and don't seem to be breaking much new ground. They do sound like they are enjoying themselves though and often I like the results. To each his own.
skoz
mathew hopkins
mathew hopkins

Postby Ben Abraham on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:01 pm

skoz wrote:Ben, I have to disagree. The first 2 7"s and 1st LP really blew me away. Maybe it was because they were great and original maybe it was because I was 18 or 19 and particularly open to new music.The sound of the guitar in particular made a big impression. I've always enjoyed the shows and bought the records but at this point they haven't really suprised me since the first side of Terraform and that was 18 years ago. So while I do think they are a unique they just sound "like Shellac" and don't seem to be breaking much new ground. They do sound like they are enjoying themselves though and often I like the results. To each his own.

But you do own an aluminum neck guitar right?
Ben Abraham

Postby elisha wiesner on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:21 pm

The fact that a band 20 years into their career can release a song as original, fresh and down right powerful as 'Riding Bikes' is pretty incredible.
elisha wiesner

Postby skoz on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Ben Abraham wrote:
skoz wrote:Ben, I have to disagree. The first 2 7"s and 1st LP really blew me away. Maybe it was because they were great and original maybe it was because I was 18 or 19 and particularly open to new music.The sound of the guitar in particular made a big impression. I've always enjoyed the shows and bought the records but at this point they haven't really suprised me since the first side of Terraform and that was 18 years ago. So while I do think they are a unique they just sound "like Shellac" and don't seem to be breaking much new ground. They do sound like they are enjoying themselves though and often I like the results. To each his own.

But you do own an aluminum neck guitar right?

Yeah I have 3 of them and yes it's probably because my girlfriend when I was 18 played me those 7"s and I went holy shit that guitar sounds incredible but between 93 and 2009 when I bought my baritone I also listened to a lot of Arab on Radar, Public Image Limited, John Dwyer, Ben Greenberg, Paul Lai, Liar, Goat etc. and if I were working on a real music project rather than dicking around on the couch it probably wouldn't sound very much like Shellac at all.
skoz
mathew hopkins
mathew hopkins

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap