home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Film: Get Out

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Film: Get Out

Crap
6
13%
Not Crap
41
87%
 
Total votes : 47

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby Antero on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:30 am

bumble wrote:I was expecting horror, and was surprised that it wasn't. Pleasantly, so. It was more like The Twilight Zone than The Shining, and the better for it.

I was really impressed with the acting, a little bit disappointed the BIG REVEAL wasn't a bit more subtle (but not terribly disappointed), and thought overall it was tighter than your mom.

NC, 0 wiffleballz

Agreed 100%. Fantastic movie, zero fat on it, lean and cut and effective. The thing we kept saying after the show was "fuck, that was so CLEAN." I can't imagine changing anything about it, really. The plot progress was fairly predictable, but in an inevitable way rather than a dull way. It's one of the only horror/thriller movies I've ever seen where the trap feels truly inevitable - there's no point where you're like "DON'T GO INTO THE BASEMENT ASSHOLE," everything tightens in a way where his failure to escape is socially rational.

NC, 0 wf
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11125
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby first2letters on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:45 pm

I loved it. Hope this doesn't count as a spolier, but eating colored cereal (Fruit Loops, no less) separate from white milk was a nice comedic touch.
User avatar
first2letters
roy campanella
roy campanella
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:33 pm

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby enframed on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:02 am

first2letters wrote:I loved it. Hope this doesn't count as a spolier, but eating colored cereal (Fruit Loops, no less) separate from white milk was a nice comedic touch.


Totally missed that. Awesome.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
User avatar
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 16744
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm
Location: Central Coast, CA

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby noise&light on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:40 am

enframed wrote:
first2letters wrote:I loved it. Hope this doesn't count as a spolier, but eating colored cereal (Fruit Loops, no less) separate from white milk was a nice comedic touch.


Totally missed that. Awesome.


Wow!

You just reminded me that Jordan Peele calls Fruit Loops 'the forbidden fruit' in this sketch.

phpBB [media]
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
User avatar
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8374
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:47 am
Location: chicago

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby tmidgett on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 am

Pretty great.

I loved the way it made everyone in the theater squirm with normal, real-life, low-level racism, with sorta ham-handed dialogue, like it's the point of the film, aaaaaand then it turns out that oh yeah, actually, they totally want to turn black people into zombies to which they can attach their old white brains. Of COURSE that's why they were talking like that. What, you thought it was something else?

Writing was totally unafraid to be absurd, really worked. The sort of ritualistic but ultimately totally slapdick nature of the transactional enterprise was really good.
User avatar
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:30 pm

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby Tommy Alpha on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:58 am

tmidgett wrote:slapdick


reminded me of

phpBB [media]
User avatar
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:08 am
Location: Alphaville

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby Janeway on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:18 am

if you're not already afraid of white people going into this thing then you're not going to find it scary, but it is awesome to see in theaters and max from living single was in it so totally worth goin.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
User avatar
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3737
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: here

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby FuzzBob on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:53 am

I loved it. As lean and tight as the plot was, some in our group were seeing it for the second time and found new details they missed the last time. I'm so stoked to rewatch.

Also, fair warning, but I'm wearing the shit out of the last line of the movie.
User avatar
FuzzBob
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Slintville

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby NewDarkAge on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Great film. Pacing was perfect, don't know what the guys up-thread are talking about. Only minor minor quibble is I don't think Caleb Landry Jones' performance was up to the standard of the rest of the cast. Nice to see Kaluuya, who has been a fixture on British TV for a while, get a role like this. I saw it at Peckhamplex (the greatest cinema in the world) and there were cheers and spontaneous applause from the audience, which is pretty rare.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
User avatar
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 am
Location: South East London is a state of mind

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby Teacher's Pet on Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 am

Boombats wrote:
Teacher's Pet wrote:I keep wondering if the title of this movie is based on the old Eddie Murphy bit about how black people would never stick around in a Poltergeist type of house. "G E T O U T ."

I wondered the same thing!


I saw dude on Charlie Rose last night – CONFIRMED.
User avatar
Teacher's Pet
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir
 
Posts: 1514
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:15 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:40 pm

I enjoyed it very much! The pacing and cinematography was excellent and so was acting, the only minor issues I had were with the tone - I felt like the creepiness and weirdness in the first 2/3rds was shown in a very apparent way, more subtle approach would have worked better in my opinion. Which also applies too the protagonist best friend dude who was written like dunno, SNL skit-type comic relief character which was completely unnecessary. Also, there was some moments (like literally 4 of them or something) when it seemed like the film was telegraphing it was a typical horror (dissonant musical bit, lady walking across the hallway, something else I'm forgetting) which I can't figure. But overall it very entertaining and to the point everything had a pay-off. Well deserved NOT CRAP.


And I also thought it was going to be a horror film, which I guess explains why I thought to myself "this film shits all over 'It Follows' even thought they have nothing in common.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
User avatar
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7207
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:05 pm

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby Adam Sr on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:52 pm

One for the Empire magazine readers, barely a notch above Black Mirror. Crap.
User avatar
Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2570
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby hellholiday on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Great film? No. Enjoyable film? Sure. The world's most powerful hypnotist married to the world's greatest surgeon was an eye roller for me but it's a popcorn kinda flick.

Spoiler:





Why did the grandparents act that way and why were they the help? I did not get any of their story.
User avatar
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:23 pm
Location: drowning in the current

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby Bernardo on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:14 pm

hellholiday wrote:Why did the grandparents act that way and why were they the help? I did not get any of their story.


They were probably among the first generation of transplants. They acted weird because the original owners of those bodies were always sunk somewhere in there causing trouble. They probably acted very different socially when they didn't have visitors, I'd guess, and they wouldn't have to pretend to be the help.

I agree that it's not a great film, though worth watching.
User avatar
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7223
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:03 am
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:42 pm

hellholiday wrote:Great film? No. Enjoyable film? Sure. The world's most powerful hypnotist married to the world's greatest surgeon was an eye roller for me but it's a popcorn kinda flick.

Spoiler:





Why did the grandparents act that way and why were they the help? I did not get any of their story.


SPOILER:
The way I see it, grandma acted like an very old white lady and grandpa acted like an old white man who used to be an athlete (a runner who lost against JO in front of Hitler) and now enjoys all the things he could do back in the day but couldn't later in life (running, chopping wood etc). As for the helping bit, grandpa's original boy owner 'wokem up' because of the flash, like the guy at the party did (and why flash? because it's a film, I guess) while grandma's moment didn't have a simple explanation.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
User avatar
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7207
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:05 pm

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby hellholiday on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Bernardo wrote:They were probably among the first generation of transplants. They acted weird because the original owners of those bodies were always sunk somewhere in there causing trouble. They probably acted very different socially when they didn't have visitors, I'd guess, and they wouldn't have to pretend to be the help.

I agree that it's not a great film, though worth watching.


Why 'pretend' to be the help? Surely the creator of the procedure (can't remember what exactly he called it) would be treated like a god by all those old cronies, if not his kids. If it left them like robots/zombies then who is lining up for that?

The snatched on the street VS need for an elaborate play also left me scratching my head. You are leaving so many breadcrumbs behind doing it the one way.

I still liked it.
User avatar
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:23 pm
Location: drowning in the current

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby eliya on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm

hellholiday wrote:
Why 'pretend' to be the help? Surely the creator of the procedure (can't remember what exactly he called it) would be treated like a god by all those old cronies, if not his kids. If it left them like robots/zombies then who is lining up for that?


They pretend to be the help when people, especially ones they want to put in the sunken place, come over. Otherwise, it'll be pretty hard to explain why a couple of 30-something african americans live out in the country with a white family.
User avatar
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7583
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby hellholiday on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:09 pm

eliya wrote:
hellholiday wrote:
Why 'pretend' to be the help? Surely the creator of the procedure (can't remember what exactly he called it) would be treated like a god by all those old cronies, if not his kids. If it left them like robots/zombies then who is lining up for that?


They pretend to be the help when people, especially ones they want to put in the sunken place, come over. Otherwise, it'll be pretty hard to explain why a couple of 30-something african americans live out in the country with a white family.


Friends of the family staying for an extended visit? Have them show up with the rest of the party guests? For such a big piece of the plot I couldn't buy the reasoning or how they behaved.
They didn't try much to explain the jazz musician being the boyfriend of the old white lady. He was just there.
User avatar
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:23 pm
Location: drowning in the current

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby andteater on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 pm

hellholiday wrote:
eliya wrote:
hellholiday wrote:
Why 'pretend' to be the help? Surely the creator of the procedure (can't remember what exactly he called it) would be treated like a god by all those old cronies, if not his kids. If it left them like robots/zombies then who is lining up for that?


They pretend to be the help when people, especially ones they want to put in the sunken place, come over. Otherwise, it'll be pretty hard to explain why a couple of 30-something african americans live out in the country with a white family.


Friends of the family staying for an extended visit? Have them show up with the rest of the party guests? For such a big piece of the plot I couldn't buy the reasoning or how they behaved.
They didn't try much to explain the jazz musician being the boyfriend of the old white lady. He was just there.


They were the help already, werent they?

They were the help. Then Grandparents were going to die so they jumped into their bodies. Then they stayed with the family because, I dunno, they like being with their family?

Of all the things in the movie to find fault with...
User avatar
andteater
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:29 pm
Location: south loop

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby Bernardo on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:28 pm

hellholiday wrote:
eliya wrote:
hellholiday wrote:
Why 'pretend' to be the help? Surely the creator of the procedure (can't remember what exactly he called it) would be treated like a god by all those old cronies, if not his kids. If it left them like robots/zombies then who is lining up for that?


They pretend to be the help when people, especially ones they want to put in the sunken place, come over. Otherwise, it'll be pretty hard to explain why a couple of 30-something african americans live out in the country with a white family.


Friends of the family staying for an extended visit? Have them show up with the rest of the party guests? For such a big piece of the plot I couldn't buy the reasoning or how they behaved.
They didn't try much to explain the jazz musician being the boyfriend of the old white lady. He was just there.


They couldn't act as grandma and grandpa while the protagonist was around, it's simple. He's the only one in the party who's oblivious to what is going on, as made blatant in the scene where everyone goes quiet after he goes up the stairs.
Last edited by Bernardo on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7223
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:03 am
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Nico Adie, night_tools and 9 guests