Film: Get Out

Crap
13%
Not Crap
87%

Total votes : 45

Re: Film: Get Out

Postby Ranxerox on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:06 pm

Obviously and deeply derivative, creepy in a formal way, and completely reliant on the race angle.

Frankenheimer's Seconds is much better at attempting a similar extrapolative trick.

Still, because completely reliant on the race angle and watching while black, effective.

The devil, the old deluder, is in the room, and the others see him, but they can't see a reason to be wary.
Ranxerox
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby ErikG on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:52 am

^^Huh?
ErikG
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby Janeway on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:16 am

^ranxerox is more focused on the horror aspect of what is done to the victims in the same way the rockhudson movie seconds handled that horror concept

but this is such an important time in history to use that kinda horror to point out where raciss still thrives in this country, a metaphor for being bey’d
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby givemenoughrope on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Well, it's kind of amazing that it took until 2017 for someone to make Invasion of the Black Body Snatchers. Too bad it's not very good.

I like the TSA guy though.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:41 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:I like the TSA guy though.

Yeah, he's great comedic relief, especially from the creepy-but-campy atmosphere of the whole movie.

Hated the hypnosis/"sunken place" aspect - so cheesy. That said, if a giant angler fish was swimming around with him down there, it would've felt like a recurring dream.

Of course it's Not Crap. It's enjoyable from beginning to end. Sure, I'm not sold on it as a Social Event either, but I think its dialogue is uncomfortable in all the right ways, which surely puts it past a simple Bodysnatchers-rip.

Three coolest scenes: everyone stopped talking when he went upstairs, silent bingo, and the chick eating cereal/drinking milk through a straw.

Wish there was more stuff like that in the movie!
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Boombats on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:38 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:Too bad it's not very good.

Your taste is in your ass! :P

sulfur)addict wrote:Hated the hypnosis/"sunken place" aspect - so cheesy.

To me, the sunken place is an apt metaphor or visualization of the feeling someone of color gets when they realize they are being condescended to, put down or objectified. You'd have to have been there to recognize it I guess.

sulfur)addict wrote:Three coolest scenes: everyone stopped talking when he went upstairs, silent bingo, and the chick eating cereal/drinking milk through a straw.

Perhaps there was, and you just missed it

EDIT: to ME, not to men, jeez
Last edited by Boombats on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Boombats wrote:
sulfur)addict wrote:Hated the hypnosis/"sunken place" aspect - so cheesy.

To men, the sunken place is an apt metaphor or visualization of the feeling someone of color gets when they realize they are being condescended to, put down or objectified. You'd have to have been there to recognize it I guess.

That's fine, really! But it still feels cheesy in its execution. Similar to the hypnosis angle, which is a jokey b-movie trick - real hypnosis doesn't work that way.

Boombats wrote:
sulfur)addict wrote:Three coolest scenes: everyone stopped talking when he went upstairs, silent bingo, and the chick eating cereal/drinking milk through a straw.

Perhaps there was, and you just missed it

Perhaps! I've only seen it the one time like two months ago.

I thought the script was fantastic, fwiw. And I think that's been the focus of all the praise.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

Postby givemenoughrope on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 pm

Boombats wrote:

This was on par with an Eli Roth movie with the zeitgeist on the day tacked on. It's nominated for an Oscar which doesn't mean much except look at what other horror films have been nominated in the last 30 years. Cmon.
givemenoughrope

Postby Boombats on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:17 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:
Boombats wrote:

This was on par with an Eli Roth movie with the zeitgeist on the day tacked on. It's nominated for an Oscar which doesn't mean much except look at what other horror films have been nominated in the last 30 years. Cmon.

Are you a horror purist or professional film critic or something? Eli Roth films are gratuitous wank. By the "zeitgeist on [sic] the day" I assume you mean Black Lives Matter or black issues in general. Hey man, maybe you and some other people just noticed that racial inequality still exists, but that doesn't mean everyone else is just on some zeitgeist shit. I hope that's not what you mean because that sounds frikkin' stupid. Don't be mad they got an Oscar nom, and don't pretend the Oscars don't count except when they do when you like who's getting nom'ed. You just leave those goalposts where they are, mister.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby givemenoughrope on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 pm

Good job in assuming. You're right. I only just noticed that.

It's not the zeitgeist of the day? It's certainly why it got attention from non-horror people, an Oscar nom and made Jason Blum a pile of money, right? Sounds like a lot of people ARE on some zeitgeist shit despite what you said.

I just didn't think it was very good, sorry. Great idea but not executed that well. But yea, sometimes gratuitous wank is exactly what I want out of horror. This could have used more of that. Or dropped the comedy and just gone way deeper.

The Oscars counted when Morricone got his last two awards but otherwise haven't mattered in years and years to me (actually they were amends for years of snubs which shows how much they don't matter). Where was Tangerine a few years ago? (They certainly campaigned.) Where is Good Time? Everyone once in a while that blind squirrel finds a nut. This is a forum for dudes with aluminum guitars and you assume I think the Oscars matter?

EDIT- I'm not mad it got an Oscar nom. Whatever. I just think that a horror comedy getting one is pretty absurd for them. Or maybe it's good. It certainly doesn't EVER happen.

EDIT EDIT - I guess my main beef patty with this flick is that it wasn't that great of a ride (which is what I want out of horror/genre). I wanted to really feel like I WAS that dude getting tricked into going to the gf's parents house and slowly feel the paranoia and everything closing in, etc. but it just didn't connect with me.
givemenoughrope

Postby iembalm on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:48 am

Boombats wrote:To men, the sunken place is an apt metaphor or visualization of the feeling someone of color gets when they realize they are being condescended to, put down or objectified. You'd have to have been there to recognize it I guess.

Did you mean to put a colon after "To men"? This sentence is a little confusing the way it reads.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Boombats on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:53 am

iembalm wrote:
Boombats wrote:To men, the sunken place is an apt metaphor or visualization of the feeling someone of color gets when they realize they are being condescended to, put down or objectified. You'd have to have been there to recognize it I guess.

Did you mean to put a colon after "To men"? This sentence is a little confusing the way it reads.

Jeez... that should say to ME, not men. Yeah that's confusing
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Boombats on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:59 am

givemenoughrope wrote:I wanted to really feel like I WAS that dude getting tricked into going to the gf's parents house and slowly feel the paranoia and everything closing in, etc. but it just didn't connect with me.

What would have helped? Was his acting not compelling enough? Were there personal details lacking that would have helped you identify with him? Maybe a different actor would have connected with you better. Let's hope for a remake with James Franco or Michael Cera
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Redline on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Boombats wrote:
givemenoughrope wrote:I wanted to really feel like I WAS that dude getting tricked into going to the gf's parents house and slowly feel the paranoia and everything closing in, etc. but it just didn't connect with me.

What would have helped? Was his acting not compelling enough? Were there personal details lacking that would have helped you identify with him? Maybe a different actor would have connected with you better. Let's hope for a remake with James Franco or Michael Cera

Hey, don't let it get you down. Not everybody is going to like the Black Panther movie, either.
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Boombats on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:10 pm

I don't think I'm gonna like the Black Panther movie either
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby givemenoughrope on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm

Boombats wrote:

I didn't relate bc the character wasn't a nerdy white stoner/slacker (which I don't relate to either). Or maybe I didn't like the movie itself bc I'm a soft racist. You're right. Good job.

His acting, you know, what he was allowed to do, was fine in the context of a fairly flat movie. I didn't connect, that's the wrong word, I couldn't Get In-to it because of everything else; direction, script, riding that line between soft comedy and uncomfortable but completely expected country club racism (JP should have amplified that more imo and really made people squirm more and for longer; it just wasn't uncomfortable enough to me). I don't think they dug in enough and let the guy really act and get into his paranoia. The sort of "campiness" took away from that maybe. Or maybe it moved too quickly. THAT was my problem. I mean, Polanski's Apartment trilogy, Marathon Man, fuck even that stupid movie The Game did it better (it helps that they weren't comedies I guess). If you're going to make me squirm then make me fucking squirm where I can't take it, comedy or not.

Have you seen Redbelt? I can't think of a more (universally?) relatable character than Chiwetel Ejiofor's. Granted, Mamet completely sidesteps race (at least on the surface). I dunno....can I totally relate to Get Out dude as a white dude? Of course not. But I thought that was one of the jobs of the movie to try to bridge that gap as much as possible. I'll never totally relate to Rosemary Woodhouse either. I certain feel like I did for the duration of the film though. (When someone makes a film starring a wet paper bag that gets swept into a gutter by the rain then I'll probably relate to that character the most. I dunno...)

I'm talking about Get Out the movie here...not Get Out as what it represents to you/everyone. These are obviously two different things. Hopefully it means that a 12 year old non-white kid now thinks it's not out of the cards for them to make a horror/genre film and that is really great...way more important. And I say this for selfish reasons...bc some of them will probably be really inventive films and I'll want to see them. I mean, some of the most recognized and also best horror of the last couple years came from female writer/directors (Babadook, The Invitation...there is a squirmer) and I'm sure they had to cross that bridge at some point.
givemenoughrope

Postby Bernardo on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:10 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:Hopefully it means that a 12 year old non-white kid now thinks it's not out of the cards for them to make a horror/genre film

Your whole point hangs on the principle that the goal of this movie was to conform to a genre and satisfy it's tenets, and it's exactly when it doesn't that it gets interesting. I just don't get that point of view, "if they had scratched that exact spot just behind my left ear then the itch would have gone away", that's got nothing to do with what makes a movie special, AFAIC.
Last edited by Bernardo on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to play guitar for Elma and Buistra, and bass for Are You God?.
More recently did these:
Vermes do Limbo + Bernardo Pacheco /-/ Berna And The Gangstas
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Boombats on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:19 pm

Bernardo wrote:I just don't get that point of view, "if they had scratched that exact spot just behind my left ear then the itch would have gone away", that's got nothing to do with what makes a movie special, AFAIC.

Haha, that's a great way to put it
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby givemenoughrope on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Bernardo wrote:
givemenoughrope wrote:Hopefully it means that a 12 year old non-white kid now thinks it's not out of the cards for them to make a horror/genre film

Your whole point hangs on the principle that the goal of this movie was to conform to a genre and satisfy it's tenets, and it's exactly when it doesn't that it gets interesting. I just don't get that point of view, "if they had scratched that exact spot just behind my left ear then the itch would have gone away", that's got nothing to do with what makes a movie special, AFAIC.

I'm confused as to why you quoted that sentence. EDIT- I guess when I say "horror/genre film" I also mean films that defy the expectations of the genre. I'm usually actively seeking those out.

It didn't HAVE to conform to ANYTHING, horror or psych-thriller or black comedy (you know what i mean...har) or any combination of those. But it does fall apart for me when it doesn't pursue any of these or its goal enough. I wanted them to really make me squirm so it's funny to say I wanted them to scratch an itch. Not really accurate. It's not the same as having or not having an expectation bc of whatever a genre demands for me anyway.

And just for my own curiosity can you name some other films you liked that are interesting bc they defy genre(s). What, like Ichi the Killer, Bad Boy Bubby, The Shining maybe?
givemenoughrope

Postby Bernardo on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 pm

I picked that sentence because it was from your latest post, but you had brought up the genre angle earlier as well.

givemenoughrope wrote:And just for my own curiosity can you name some other films you liked that are interesting bc they defy genre(s). What, like Ichi the Killer, Bad Boy Bubby, The Shining maybe?

This is hard for me because it's very rare that I think a movie is incredible if it fully conforms to a genre. A fair share of oriental movies totally ignore genre boundaries, though, those really jump out in this department, the first that comes to mind is The Host. A couple of my very favourite movies, "Network" and "Crimes and Misdemeanors", both straddle the line between satire and drama in an interesting way (the latter not SO much, but there are parallel elements of VERY dark drama and comedy that you wouldn't imagine could live together).

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was straight enough, but then again, that was a formative film. It works in the same way as with music. The Bad Brains were amazing, MInor Threat a little less so, and then as hardcore solidifies into a genre it's the bands that don't adhere to it that prove to be worthwhile (Die Kreuzen, No Comment, Converge, etc).
I used to play guitar for Elma and Buistra, and bass for Are You God?.
More recently did these:
Vermes do Limbo + Bernardo Pacheco /-/ Berna And The Gangstas
Bernardo

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap