Which group sucks more?

Ravers
71%
Jam Band Fans
29%

Total votes : 17

Thunderdome: Ravers vs. Jam Band Fans

Postby rayword45 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Which subset of audiences annoys you more?

I actually am a bit of a raver myself (judge me as you feel) and have been to a couple of Ween shows, this one is easy for me. While both groups have their share of annoying traits, ravers are generally too ETarded to be assholes. Jam band fans are also generally nice, but I've seen knife fights happen. Plus, the nitrous oxide mafia skeeves me out.

If anything, I appreciate both groups for lacking the elitism that hipsters (who I also fall under in college) have in spades.

EDIT: Damnit I double posted trying to fix a typo, ignore the one with the typo.
rayword45
berith
berith

Re: Thunderdome: Ravers vs. Jam Band Fans

Postby jimmy spako on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Thunderdome Thread Thunderdome: Thunderdome: Ravers vs. Jam Band Fans by rayword45 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:03 pm vs. Thunderdome: Raves vs. Jam Band Fans by rayword45 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:03 pm
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'

the preterite
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Boombats on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Fuck, this is tough. I would rather go to a rave than a jam band fest. Both probably have good drug supplies, though more weed at the jam fest for sure. I love weed. I think I'd be more likely to get laid at a jam fest cuz there are hippie chicks and tents to screw in. I suck at dancing and I feel like raves are not the place for a fat guy to get action. Plus you can't talk at a rave. I feel like the people at a jam fest are gonna be more open and down to earth than ravers, and though I am clearly much cooler than both demographics, I don't know that the ravers would see it that way. Plus there are more metalheads into jammy shit than techno. Fuck, jam band fans it is.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby first2letters on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:22 pm

I've done pretty good so far in my 40+ years by not thinking too much about either.
first2letters
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby sitwell on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:22 pm

I can at least appreciate the musicianship of most jam bands. Even if the music sucks, I'm learning something. Never been to a rave and I'm happy for that. I was in high school in the mid-nineties when that whole thing started and it was a shitshow. That whole scene was basically the movie Kids.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby Boombats on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:33 pm

I almost voted wrong cuz this is one of those backwards polls
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby rayword45 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Both OP and poll question ask "Which fangroup sucks more?"
rayword45
berith
berith

Postby eliya on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:41 pm

first2letters wrote:I've done pretty good so far in my 40+ years by not thinking too much about either.

Pretty much.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Wood Goblin on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:00 am

The raver crowd unquestionably beats the jam band crowd in terms of diversity. The jam crowd approaches NASCAR levels of racial homogeneity. The Dead played at Soldier Field, not far from where we live, two years ago, and not a single non-white person attended that thing. You will occasionally see a non-white person in a Blackhawks jersey. But in a Dead shirt? Not without Photoshop.

Having said that, the rave crowd loses here.

Rave music is far, far worse.

Jam band music isn't particularly smart, but rave music out-stupids it by several orders of magnitude.

Ravers believe that everybody wants to hear said stupid music.

Ravers will blast their shitty boom-boom idiot music at 3:00 AM. From their cars, from their apartments, from where ever. 95% of the times that music has awakened me, it's been OONCE OONCE OONCE OONCE OONCE.

I don't think this comes from malice. I truly believe they're just clueless. They will park their cars, roll down their windows, and deafen the neighborhood because the possibility that people exist (other than themselves) perplexes them.

Rave music = the soundtrack to entitlement.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Me Again on Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Uh...you guys know that hardly anyone who likes electronic music has self-identified as a "raver" in like 10-20 years, right? You might as well have started a thread about flappers. Or fappers, for that matter.

Anyway, vague types of people don't get on my tits for the most part. It's more certain genre tropes that'll spoil my mood. Like those ever-present trap hats used in hip-hop-y club music (normal time, double time, triple time....tss...tss...tss....ts...ts...tttss.ts.ts.tssssssssss)---I hate that shit. Also, Millennial whoops and ukulele jingles are a surefire sign of anything they touch being wack as shit.

Honestly, turn on your TV, watch a new band on SNL (other than A Tribe Called Quest), or look at a trending music video on YouTube and after a while it start to seem like people are flagrantly trying to MURDER what's good about music. Like it's a contest, a race to the bottom.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
roy campanella
roy campanella

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Ravers. I can understand being way into a particular band, even a jam band. I can't understand raver culture. I hated those people in the '90's when it all seemed to start. A lot of my college classmates wore gigantic pants, did a lot of meth and ecstasy, and spent all night at those parties. Fuck ravers.

I'd rather smoke a bunch of weeed, have a few beers, and listen to Black Sabbath records all night. Totally different thing and not at all lame like a Rave.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Me Again wrote:Uh...you guys know that hardly anyone who likes electronic music has self-identified as a "raver" in like 10-20 years, right?

Who can keep up with raver nomenclature? Ravers think that playing something 2 BPM faster creates a distinct genre that requires its own name. I'm mostly into Dutch Sado-Softhouse these days, which sounds a bit like French Ambivalent Electrodonk but 1% slower and with handclaps on the off beats.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby enframed on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:48 pm

I prefer Happy Mondays.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby 154 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:20 am

I don't think about the followers of these things too much, but I see more appeal in bouncing around to simplistic music for a few hours vs. sitting in a burning hot field listening to extended solos.

Postby Tommy on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:57 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Who can keep up with raver nomenclature? Ravers think that playing something 2 BPM faster creates a distinct genre that requires its own name. I'm mostly into Dutch Sado-Softhouse these days, which sounds a bit like French Ambivalent Electrodonk but 1% slower and with handclaps on the off beats.

Hahahaha. So good. So true.

Hard poll. Undecided.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby rayword45 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:09 pm

I met some Phish fans yesterday.

This is a hard win for Ravers.
rayword45
berith
berith

Postby Tommy Alpha on Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:32 am

If we're talking British ravers from the late 80s/ early 90s- the whole free party/ pre-Criminal Justice Act scene, then yeah. Those guys were great.

Totally DIY, egalitarian and eventually outlawed. And they had the first wave of Es to boot.

And fuck me, they partied so hard they didn't even need music:

phpBB [media]
Tommy Alpha

Postby RikSmits on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:51 pm

This thread is great but I'm 26 and what are these things?
Unless they change their infrastructure, they're not ready for a punk show.
RikSmits
les paul
les paul

Postby RikSmits on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 pm

But seriously, I don't think I despise any sub culture more than the Jam Band Whippets Bros.
Unless they change their infrastructure, they're not ready for a punk show.
RikSmits
les paul
les paul

Return to Crap / Not Crap