home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Sonic Youth

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Sonic Youth?

CRAP
45
15%
NOT CRAP
248
85%
 
Total votes : 293

Postby Sebastian J. on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:45 pm

NOT CRAP !
User avatar
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:59 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Postby greggg on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:15 pm

Peripatetic wrote:I saw SY rule the Minnesota State Fair last night.

They played 10 songs: 7 off the new record, Teenage Riot, Eric's Trip and Tom Violence.


my friend grabed a copy of the set list and it said that they were suposed to play "Schizophrenia" and "Shaking Hell" as the encore instead of "Do You Believe In Rapture?". Too bad they were pressed for time.

g
greggg
corporal
corporal
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:57 pm
Location: minneapolis

Postby Mazec on Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:00 pm

chet wrote:
tallchris wrote:I saw them in Seattle, and I didn't really get it either.

Really, I just wish Kim would play while she sang. Are the parts that hard?


Yeah, its pretty taxing to play a G for >120 measures...

Im equally as puzzled about Ibold. Maybe he plays something different than kim? I just dont know anymore.

- Chet


Man, we are never going to unravel the mysteries of what "bass duties" for Sonic Youth actually involve. My theory is that is that, back in '81 or so, it was just a way for Thurston to get his girlfriend in the band. He certainly could have played those parts with his feet if he had to.

Not that Kim was a bad addition, far from it. It's just that, as a bassist myself, Sonic Youth has always been a bit lacking in my key interest, and they were always one of my favorite bands. I didn't exactly pick up many smokin' chops while playing along to their records. It was quite underwhelming to note that, over the span of a 25-year career as a bassist, Kim has not picked up many either.
It is especially alarming to note that many of Sonic Youth's coolest basslines ever were played by Mike Watt (In the Kingdom #19, Bubblegum), Thurston (Making the Nature Scene, Inhuman, and a bunch more) or even Lee (Protect Me You).
On one of SY's coolest songs ever, Brother James, Kim just rests on the bass through most of the song, and just sings with her bass slung on. In other SY classics, like Catholic Block or Eric's Trip, her bass part is there, but it doesn't add anything to the song.
Anyway, I've got to stop ranting on this, it's just been one of the major conflicts of my life - how one of my favorite bands has such a one-riff or even one note bass player. Most of my other favorite bands, like the Stranglers, the Ex, Gang of Four, and Talking Heads had fairly intricate basslines that were the backbone of the songs.
In closing, has anybody seen Sonic Mirror? That's SY minus Lee - without him, it's just Thurston with his increasingly conventional rock riffs, and Kim with her two-note basslines. It sounded so janky that it actually reminded me of some of the earliest basement bands I used to play in. I think you can find the video on youtube, the song Sleeping Around is up there so you can judge for yourself.
User avatar
Mazec
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2444
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:57 am
Location: Hamburg

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:53 am

absolutely tore the motherfucking house down tonight.

just leveled the whole damn building.
Uncle Ovipositor wrote:In Tokyo, the Japanese can pee in the streets...
User avatar
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: tower grove park

Postby chet on Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:28 pm

Mazec wrote:
chet wrote:
tallchris wrote:I saw them in Seattle, and I didn't really get it either.

Really, I just wish Kim would play while she sang. Are the parts that hard?


Yeah, its pretty taxing to play a G for >120 measures...

Im equally as puzzled about Ibold. Maybe he plays something different than kim? I just dont know anymore.

- Chet


Man, we are never going to unravel the mysteries of what "bass duties" for Sonic Youth actually involve. My theory is that is that, back in '81 or so, it was just a way for Thurston to get his girlfriend in the band. He certainly could have played those parts with his feet if he had to.

Not that Kim was a bad addition, far from it. It's just that, as a bassist myself, Sonic Youth has always been a bit lacking in my key interest, and they were always one of my favorite bands. I didn't exactly pick up many smokin' chops while playing along to their records. It was quite underwhelming to note that, over the span of a 25-year career as a bassist, Kim has not picked up many either.
It is especially alarming to note that many of Sonic Youth's coolest basslines ever were played by Mike Watt (In the Kingdom #19, Bubblegum), Thurston (Making the Nature Scene, Inhuman, and a bunch more) or even Lee (Protect Me You).
On one of SY's coolest songs ever, Brother James, Kim just rests on the bass through most of the song, and just sings with her bass slung on. In other SY classics, like Catholic Block or Eric's Trip, her bass part is there, but it doesn't add anything to the song.
Anyway, I've got to stop ranting on this, it's just been one of the major conflicts of my life - how one of my favorite bands has such a one-riff or even one note bass player. Most of my other favorite bands, like the Stranglers, the Ex, Gang of Four, and Talking Heads had fairly intricate basslines that were the backbone of the songs.
In closing, has anybody seen Sonic Mirror? That's SY minus Lee - without him, it's just Thurston with his increasingly conventional rock riffs, and Kim with her two-note basslines. It sounded so janky that it actually reminded me of some of the earliest basement bands I used to play in. I think you can find the video on youtube, the song Sleeping Around is up there so you can judge for yourself.



Yeah, I should add that I like a lot of Kim's basslines.

My theory is this -

In the early days, things could get so free form that her parts were the only thing really holding things together as a conventional "song". She would be the backbone of the music so Lee and Thurston could go all over and it wouldnt sound so unstructured. I guess as they became more of a conventional rock band, she played the same way, and ended up with mixed results.

I do like economic basslines though - and even parts like in Little Trouble Girl and the Diamond Sea are great. I guess it could be a lot better though; its never bothered me.

- Chet
User avatar
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1140
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:09 pm

Postby tallchris on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:32 pm

mackro wrote:It wasn't the best SY show ever, but I saw that same recent show in Seattle, and thought it was great.. then again, I think the new album is their best since Goo, and they pretty much played the entirety of it.

Not Crap :WF: 0.0001

Dirty is really the only album I'd call Crap, and even that one has a few good decent songs on it. All the other albums are great.


I like Rather Ripped a lot. But this was the first time I'd ever gotten to see Sonic Youth in all the years I've liked them (check my avatar, that is from 1994), and I wouldn't of been satisfied by anything less than a greatest hits show.

I did get to touch Thurston Moore's guitar when he held it out over the crowd. Had to go for it.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8471
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

Postby caix on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:18 pm

Not Crap.

They seemed to be going down hill a bit, but they picked up the slack with Rather Ripped. That album is amazing, like a follow up to Daydream Nation.

I saw them in Boston about 3 weeks ago. They were great live. Had a full 8 or so minutes of feedback, then it just stopped and they popped right into a song. Oooh yea, and for a bonus they had Mark Ibold on bass.

To answer your question about that...Looked like Kim played bass on half the songs. When she did play bass, Ibold and she were doubling it up or playing the octave. What was the point? Who the fuck cares...Mark Ibold was playing bass! I miss seeing that guy on stage, all happy go lucky smile on his face and that silly dance he does while playing.
User avatar
caix
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7859
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Logan Square

Postby atlgerm on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:25 pm

Peripatetic wrote:Yesterday for the first time in eons, I got out the SY records that I've in the past thought to be "bad". These included: Bad Moon Rising, Ciccone Youth (if that counts) Experimental Jetset, A Thousand Leaves, NYC Ghosts and Flowers. The conclusion I came to was that Sonic Youth never made a bad record. There are some that aren't as good as others (Bad Moon Rising) and there are some I simply don't like (NYC Ghosts and Flowers), but none of them are bad, and they are still much better than a lot of other bullshit that is allowed to exist. So while I've never thought SY was anywhere near overall crap, my realization that they've never been even remotely close to crap, even for one record's time, merited resurrecting this thread to issue a resounding NOT CRAP.

I agree completely. I understand why some people don't like Sonic Youth and I can see why they don't seem as spectacular as they once did but they've been doing "it" for a long time and I know I like it.

Like Mr. Albini said at the Big Black reunion, "Believe me it was a lot cooler in the 80's".

NOT CRAP.

Even though playing "Rather Ripped" as practically your entire setlist is.
User avatar
atlgerm
scout
scout
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:54 am
Location: ATL

Postby rocker654 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:31 pm

KERRRRAP!
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
User avatar
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby tommydski on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:23 pm

good contribution sir.

i was determined to hate 'rather ripped' but i just can't.
i swear it's pro-tooled to fuck and it's a goddamn overload of 'hot licks' etc. it's still getting a shitload of airtime. what is it about this band huh?
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
User avatar
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10002
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: UK

Postby Sebastian J. on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:39 pm

so, it was protooled ? is that confirm ? to be honest, rather ripped is ok, but the sound of it somehow doesn't satisfied me.
User avatar
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:59 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Postby Eierdiebe on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:18 pm

i saw Sonic Youth last night, for the first time in over ten years. it was a hell of a lot of fun. i got to watch Kim do cute little dances from the side of the stage. Steve Shelley is one hard-hitting drummer.

Sonic Youth are legends for good reason.
User avatar
Eierdiebe
saw big cat
saw big cat
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:44 am
Location: Out East

Postby Glenn W. Turner on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:29 pm

Not Crap

I bought the destroyed room: b-sides and rarities yesterday, which also is Not Crap. I like their more "experimental/noise" material, but I also like their more "mainstream" stuff as well. I need a copy of Sonic Death, does anyone know if it has been released on CD/vinyl? To my knowledge it's cassette only.
User avatar
Glenn W. Turner
howard lederer
howard lederer
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:10 am
Location: South St. Louis

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:32 pm

Glenn W. Turner wrote:Not Crap

I bought the destroyed room: b-sides and rarities yesterday, which also is Not Crap. I like their more "experimental/noise" material, but I also like their more "mainstream" stuff as well. I need a copy of Sonic Death, does anyone know if it has been released on CD/vinyl? To my knowledge it's cassette only.


it's out of print, you could probably find a rip of the rough trade CD that was out for a while, but 75% of the songs compiled on it are uncut and on the Sonic Youth EP reissue.
.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:46 pm

Postby Glenn W. Turner on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:34 pm

AAAAAAAARGH wrote:
Glenn W. Turner wrote:Not Crap

I bought the destroyed room: b-sides and rarities yesterday, which also is Not Crap. I like their more "experimental/noise" material, but I also like their more "mainstream" stuff as well. I need a copy of Sonic Death, does anyone know if it has been released on CD/vinyl? To my knowledge it's cassette only.


it's out of print, you could probably find a rip of the rough trade CD that was out for a while, but 75% of the songs compiled on it are uncut and on the Sonic Youth EP reissue.


Thanks!
User avatar
Glenn W. Turner
howard lederer
howard lederer
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:10 am
Location: South St. Louis

Postby erskine on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:03 pm

I got a one-side 12 inch from them (1981) with Yamatsuka Eye, Mark Arm , and some folks from Youth Brigade , I guess.
It's not precisely "mainstream" , nevertheless it's one of the crappiest record I've heard.
Not crap for almost all their other stuff.

edit: I used to have Sonic Death , which was recorded live in France ,
and at some point , a girl screams : " j' en ai marre , cassez voouuuuuuus" .
That means : "I'm fed up , get the fuck off".
erskine
ben franklin
ben franklin
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:45 am
Location: france

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:29 pm

tommydski wrote:good contribution sir.

i was determined to hate 'rather ripped' but i just can't.
i swear it's pro-tooled to fuck and it's a goddamn overload of 'hot licks' etc. it's still getting a shitload of airtime. what is it about this band huh?


jazzmasters.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
User avatar
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7207
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:05 pm

Postby Cunningham on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:34 pm

I abruptly stopped liking them at some point in the last 6 months. I own two of their records, which are good records but not to my taste. Don't really like their brand of NYC noise-pop. Give me Swell Maps any day.

Soulless/Contrived/Uninteresting. I won't tell someone to turn them off, but I'm not gonna put them on.

NOT CRAP :WF: 9
User avatar
Cunningham
mime
mime
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Oceanside, CA

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:07 pm

atlgerm wrote:
NOT CRAP.

Even though playing "Rather Ripped" as practically your entire setlist is.



actually this is something i like about this band. i saw them in 2002 and they have performed all the songs from the murray street. if somebody had asked before the show if those songs should make about half of their set-list, i'd have said "fuck no". but they've perfomred those tunes with real... uh.. power. they fucking rocked live, and played an incredibly good gig (as i believe) because they were perforimg songs fresh to them. their gigs wouldn't be anywhere as good as they are with "the best of + 3 new ones" as set-lists, even if this is what people (myself included) want to hear.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
User avatar
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7207
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:05 pm

Postby z00york on Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:17 pm

I think I first started liking them after hearing Bedroom, awesome song.

Not Crap.

And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Suck so bad.
User avatar
z00york
dock ellis
dock ellis
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A Landing Craft, agiant, ErikG, rappard, Yahoo [Bot] and 20 guests