Sonic Youth?

CRAP
15%
NOT CRAP
85%

Total votes : 293

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby sulfur)addict on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:49 am

Yeah, because Thurston Moore pays for all his free jazz records, instead of, y'know, getting promo copies in exchange for a blurb.

Steal that shit. The Ramones would want it that way.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby numberthirty on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:41 am

If I've got this all straight in my head, those Ramones covers were the encore. It seems like the version on Sonic Youth's webstore only runs up until the end of the set. I don't think it includes the encore.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:44 am

Come to think of it, it seems like that and Death Valley '69 are only available in that Apple lossless format.

Not cool.
numberthirty

Postby pldms on Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:13 am

numberthirty wrote:Come to think of it, it seems like that and Death Valley '69 are only available in that Apple lossless format.

It's unusual, but not really an issue. There's no DRM, and the codec is apache-licenced. It's simple to convert to FLAC or whatever you want with no loss of quality.
pldms
jasper johns
jasper johns

Postby skoz on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:36 am

numberthirty wrote:If I've got this all straight in my head, those Ramones covers were the encore. It seems like the version on Sonic Youth's webstore only runs up until the end of the set. I don't think it includes the encore.

Hmmm well the Ramones covers are the least interesting part of that record anyways.
skoz
almost 1000 posts
almost 1000 posts

Postby ::: on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:01 am

phpBB [media]

"Kotton Krown," 09 September 1987, San Diego (same tour as the 14 October 1987 Chicago show on Hold That Tiger)
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby ::: on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:40 pm

^ I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist that everybody drop whatever you're doing for four minutes and watch and listen to the video posted above. Unfortunately it's not a very good recording, but it's just fucking amazing. ...OK, you're free to go.
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby skoz on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:58 pm

Phenomenal
skoz
almost 1000 posts
almost 1000 posts

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:34 am

That video was great.

Some of their records are really great, too.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

but spell it however you like

Postby seanurban on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:27 pm

::: wrote:"Kotton Krown," 09 September 1987, San Diego (same tour as the 14 October 1987 Chicago show on Hold That Tiger)

Looks like 25 Sep 1987.
seanurban
King High

Re: but spell it however you like

Postby ::: on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:41 am

seanurban wrote:
::: wrote:"Kotton Krown," 09 September 1987, San Diego (same tour as the 14 October 1987 Chicago show on Hold That Tiger)

Looks like 25 Sep 1987.

How embarrassing. When the skills go, they go.
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby numberthirty on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:23 pm

::: wrote:^ I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist that everybody drop whatever you're doing for four minutes and watch and listen to the video posted above. Unfortunately it's not a very good recording, but it's just fucking amazing. ...OK, you're free to go.

It is about twice as amazing once you factor in that the band touring with that gear and pulling it off was like winning a drag race in an '83 El Camino.
numberthirty

Postby ::: on Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:32 pm

numberthirty wrote:
::: wrote:^ I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist that everybody drop whatever you're doing for four minutes and watch and listen to the video posted above. Unfortunately it's not a very good recording, but it's just fucking amazing. ...OK, you're free to go.

It is about twice as amazing once you factor in that the band touring with that gear and pulling it off was like winning a drag race in an '83 El Camino.

What, did they bring like 50 guitars in a U-Haul trailer or something, in 1987?
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby TomWanderer on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:49 pm

LeftyGoldblatt wrote:Far more crap than their aesthetics, reputation, and pedigree should justify. I just don't get it. Most of their songs just kind of flop around "artily" without going anywhere melody-wise or cementing into something memorable. Only a couple songs of their suggest to me anything other than CRAP.

This is a stance on Sonic Youth that I have heard a few times over the years that I just don't understand. In terms of melody and "cementing into something memorable" Songs like Dirty Boots, Expressway to Yr Skull and Teenage Riot are, to me, unbelievable songs that marry noise and odd tuning with catchy melody and an almost infectious "exciting" sound. Exciting in that it just sounds like awesome, welcome, new rock music in a time when the sound of rock music was (mostly) over-inflated bullshit. The SST records lineup of 1986ish was world changing.

I've been listening to Evol and Sister quite a bit lately and I had forgotten how much these records shaped my teenage years. I think they still sound amazing and they walk an interesting line of being more "musical", mellow and precise than they let on, as well as being more aggressive and experimental than the song betrays. I didn't follow them much after the mid 90s, but I really believe there is a wealth of great music to uncover with Sonic Youth. With their sheer output, there is inevitably going to be some crap, but I think you'll find something you like in there. Listen to Sister.
TomWanderer
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby Spyros on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:13 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b073gmvp/artsnight-series-2-27-thurston-moore

Probably restricted to UK viewers only, but Thurston's first foray into BBC arts entertainment presenting. I got strangely defensive when he started having a go at Simon Bates.

Pete Shelley also sounds exactly like BBC One Day International commentator, Charles Dagnall.
Spyros
ambulance chaser
ambulance chaser

Postby Boombats on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:51 pm

Possibly an oldie, but a goodie

Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:02 pm

Sonic Youth recently released an archival instrumental LP of material from an aborted film soundtrack, recorded around the time of EVOL in 1986. It's pretty damn good.

https://www.discogs.com/Sonic-Youth-Spi ... se/8371658
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby skoz on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:17 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:Sonic Youth recently released an archival instrumental LP of material from an aborted film soundtrack, recorded around the time of EVOL in 1986. It's pretty damn good.

https://www.discogs.com/Sonic-Youth-Spi ... se/8371658

I recall being pretty lukewarm on the finished made in the USA soundtrack but these recordings are really awesome.

I wish more evol/sister era gems would come out of the archive. It seems like a lot of those projects have stalled since the breakup.
skoz
almost 1000 posts
almost 1000 posts

Postby Sprague Dawley on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:30 am

NOT CRAP

after 30 years pottering around with dubbed tapes of daydream nation I finally splurged on the 2xLP. so great. holy shit. Somehow never bought Sister or Evol, reckon I need both of them going by this thread

Dirty and Goo were fairly unavoidable back then, cant recall much but could probably make an alright mix tape from the 2

gave Murray St a burl, fuck that soppy shit.

Thousand Leaves sounds like it'd get on my tits too
Sprague Dawley
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby andrzej on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:50 am

pardon me if it's been already mentioned, but this live record is pretty incredible

phpBB [media]
andrzej
skater
skater

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap