Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Sonic Youth?

CRAP
15%
NOT CRAP
85%

Total votes : 293

Postby ctrl-s on Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:54 pm

You forgot Sonic Nurse -- excellent, best one of the last three.

Not Crap.
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Minotaur029 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:10 pm

Sonic Youth is "so cool."

But how can I possibly vote crap on a vote like this? No fucking way.

And to whoever brought up Sonic Nurse first *(not the one right above this post, but I guess that's a testament to Sonic Nurse's Blonde on Blonde-dom style awesomeness in the "late" Sonic Youth period)...it's a great record. It's not like this Dinosaur Jr. thing that is like all the other shit they've done before. SN stands up really well on its own...I was so turned off by the first couple songs on Rather Ripped that I never bothered to get the album. It was unfair/lazy of me, but...yeah.
Last edited by Minotaur029 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:44 am

Everything up through Daydream Nation. Not much after. I like Experimental Jetset and A Thousand Leaves and thats about it after 1988. I have seen some amazing live performances after that time. Sonic Youth at Goose Island Fest? Crap.

I don't know why I still buy their records. It's compulsive maybe?
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:51 am

Never could hear what all the fuss was about.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Heliotropic on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:10 pm

Good for the most part, but the beatnik moon language poetry was pretty bad.
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Eierdiebe on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:Never could hear what all the fuss was about.

honestly, i think it boils down to the simple fact that they are/have been one of the absolute best two-guitar-bands out there.

sometimes sonic youth's vocals and arrangements aren't much to write home about, but the interplay between the two (sometimes three or more) guitars is a force to be reckoned with. when they hit their stride it's a beautiful sight.

also, i think their longevity is genuinely impressive. the fact that they are still putting out records, making music on the side, going on tour, etc., without sucking more than 1/3 of the time is a feat.
Eierdiebe
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby 242sumner on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:21 pm

Goo was their last good album.
Not crap :WF: 7
242sumner
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Noodles on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:56 pm

I've had most of their stuff at some time or other, the only ones I found worth keeping were Sister, Daydream and I like Murray St. too.

Rather Ripped is rather shite, seems more like they needed the money to me.
Noodles
franklin from peanuts
franklin from peanuts

Postby motorbike guy on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:15 pm

i don't know what is wrong with you people.

even at their worst, they tower over the landscape of music as giants. thier mistakes are better than most bands pinnacle.

everything they do sounds like them. yeah, a lot of their stuff sounds similar to alot of their other stuff. i don't see anything wrong with that.

sheesh. NOT FUCKIN CRAP!
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby sunlore on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Peripatetic wrote:
I picked up the first EP on vinyl yesterday. It's pretty. The bonus stuff is worth the price of admission.

I got this as well. It was the first SY reord I bought in maybe ten years. It looks great and there's some interesting stuff written by Richard Edson, who was drumming at the time. It's good if you are interested in the early history of the band. I also really like this E.P. and the Can/Liquid Liquid- like polyrhythmic approach, which they abandoned on the later records.

The extra live tracks sound a bit tame to my ears, which is strange because I think the best SY is on the early live tapes. They played with an intensity that they, I wanna say, nor any other band, ever paralleled, at least not on record. Confusion Is Sex is a close call.

Of the albums post-Experimental Jetset, I have only heard Murray Street and I thought it wasn't so good.

But they obviously brought a bunch of really good ideas to rock guitar-playing.

So, NOT CRAP.
sunlore

Postby ozzy lee harvwald on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:10 am

Not crap. Saw the Goo tour with Caesar running sound.
ozzy lee harvwald
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Noodles on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:12 pm

the$inmusicisallmine wrote:even at their worst, they tower over the landscape of music as giants. thier mistakes are better than most bands pinnacle.

If you only listen to similar indie rock type bands then maybe, otherwise this is just bollocks. At their worst they have their heads firmly lodged up their asses and can be spectacularly boring. They were innovative back in the day, they haven't been for many years. Listen to some real innovators and you'll see Sonic Youth are but mere dwarfs getting under the feet of the true giants.
I have quite a bit of improv stuff involving them too which is also largely toss, unless they are made to fall in line such as on Glenn Branca's Resultant masses piece, you can't tell any of sonic youth are there so it is good.
Noodles
franklin from peanuts
franklin from peanuts

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby Hexpane on Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:44 pm

stewie wrote:Some astonishing highs, some stupendous lows. My scales are tipped in favour of NOT CRAP, but yours may differ.

same, I voted Crap just because some of their stuff has been such a big let down
Hexpane
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby etch on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:04 am

Sister and Daydream Nation for me, Daydream is marvelous...
etch

Postby mattw on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:37 pm

I've been getting into Sonic Youth again. Rather Ripped, Sonic Nurse and Murray Street are all really good. Lee's songs are amusing, Kim's songs (especially on Ripped) work better than the constipated thing she usually does.

Goo, Dirty, Washing Machine, and A Thousand Leaves have a few good things on them but that's about it.

Everything before that I've heard is a big NOT CRAP.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby 2207 on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:54 pm

Hexpane wrote:
stewie wrote:Some astonishing highs, some stupendous lows. My scales are tipped in favour of NOT CRAP, but yours may differ.

same, I voted Crap just because some of their stuff has been such a big let down

Can't sit and listen to it without wondering what I could be doing instead. Sorry fans, crap.

Postby eephour on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:54 pm

Steve V. wrote:
Heliotropic wrote:Good for the most part, but the beatnik moon language poetry was pretty bad.

Worst book of poetry I ever read/bought: Thurston Moore's "Alabama Wildman." His "poetry" is a piece of shit.

Worse than Corgan's?
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:16 pm

I don't think anything Sonic Youth released after Daydream Nation is very good. I especially don't like their improv noise jams (not just on SYR): it's not where their strength lies and it comes off sounding cliche and directionless to me.

I always tell people my favorite Sonic Youth record is Confusion is Sex, even though it doesn't work the best as an album (Sister) and it has a couple of clunkers (Protect Me You, Making the Nature Scene). I say it's my favorite Sonic Youth album because it is. No one has made anything like it.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Mazec on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:57 pm

AAAAAAAARGH wrote:I always tell people my favorite Sonic Youth record is Confusion is Sex... has a couple of clunkers (Protect Me You, Making the Nature Scene).

WTF?
Mazec
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:48 pm

I really, really like the Kill Yr Idols ep. Confusion is sex next, and not a whole lot else.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap