Good Time

Crap
10%
Not Crap
90%

Total votes : 10

Film: Good Time

Postby Beetown on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:05 pm

It's amazing, probably my favourite movie of the year. The Safdie brothers look very promising.

Great score by Oneohtrix Point Never, too.

phpBB [media]
Beetown
walter johnson
walter johnson

Re: Film: Good Time

Postby mrcancelled on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Gritty, panic inducing, made me want to take a shower. Not crap.
mrcancelled
johnny cash
johnny cash

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Best film this year easily.

I'm a sucker for things like this that jump off the screen and into your lap like Gomorrah, Pusher, French Connection and Tangerine. This delivers.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby enframed on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Looks good. thanks.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby pb183max on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:32 am

This deserves a bump. Unrelenting.
pb183max
district attourney
district attourney

Postby Me Again on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:55 pm

Saw this for the first time the other night, by myself, and it left me feeling kind of on the fence. I think the botched heist, anything-that-can-go-wrong-will-go-wrong through-line, and grubby New York-style comedy of errors aspects came off as more pedestrian than the filmmakers might have intended. And above all Good Time seemed largely exasperating upon first view.

But I've been under the weather lately with lots of splitting headaches and sinus issues, and today I felt better, so giving it a second go, this time with my family, didn't seem like a bad idea. Since the film got a standing ovation at Cannes and was rated as number one film of the year in Film Comment the other day, I had to see it again just to confirm or amend that first impression.

The second time around... I really liked it. Full stop. And my family loved it. This could sound silly, but Good Time is actually a great film to watch with one's family members since beneath the panicky crime plot the connective tissue of the movie is "failed families" and the havoc they wreak. This component was sometimes on the back burner, but it was there throughout much of the film (like the passing comments you hear the grandmother make while being interviewed about her boys on the nightly news).

The first time through, I thought the rehabilitation of the "slower" brother, at the film's end, felt endearing but maybe a bit tacked-on. But upon second viewing the mental health scenes felt like perfect bookends as everything that connects them could be said to represent a failure of social services and the "correctional" system and whatnot to reach people in America.

There's another aspect of the film I noticed the second time through that I can't fully articulate at the moment, but somehow I don't think it's a coincidence that the (white) boys routinely took advantage of people of color. From impersonating black men at the robbery, to robbing a black bank teller, to stealing the black woman's car and getting her granddaughter arrested, to beating up the security guard of African descent and putting liquid LSD in his mouth, to the argument with the immigrant cab driver--the underlying message seemed to be that these white kids were fucking things up for people of color, who were just minding their own business. I certainly didn't enjoy any of this but felt maybe it was put forth to correct the kind of stereotypes propagated by Fox News or whathaveyou?? I feel like there's some kind of social commentary there that could be teased out of it and it doesn't put the white people, or at least white criminals, or these white criminals in a pleasing light.

A pretty great movie. Glad I gave it a second chance. Sometimes I'm wrong.

Not Crap.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
devil
devil

Postby Redline on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:31 pm

I want to see this. I hope it winds up on the Netflix.

Beetown wrote:
The Safdie brothers look very promising.

We'll see. Their next project is a re-make of 48 Hrs.....!
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Me Again on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Good Time is on Amazon now, worth renting.

The Safdie Brothers have been around for a while, am surprised Stephen Colbert (or was it Jimmy Kimmel?) hadn't done his homework before asking Robert Pattinson about this on late night TV. In short, the Safdies were students of Ray Carney's at Boston University and if you've followed his recommendations for newer indie films in the past their names frequently came up. They've also gotten a fair amount of coverage in the indie press, which is how Pattinson got wind of them before Good Time was devised.

I saw part of their film Daddy Long Legs once and it didn't really grab me, but I was also biased against it because it starred the guy who directed Frownland (which I notably disliked). Bronstein did a good job on the co-writing and co-editing of this one though. Good of him and his collaborators to finally strike gold with the public, regardless of how I feel about a new 48 Hours film.

There's some Safdies work on FilmStruck at the moment.
Me Again
devil
devil

Postby Redline on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:48 am

Good Time is on Amazon now

We have Amazon Prime and hardly ever use it. Now I can watch Good Time...On Amazon Prime.
Redline

Postby Adam Sr on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Adam Sr

Postby pldms on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:24 am

Me Again wrote:... to beating up the security guard of African descent and putting liquid LSD in his mouth,...--the underlying message seemed to be that these white kids were fucking things up for people of color, who were just minding their own business.

I think you're on to something there. The treatment of the security guard was also a bit of a misstep - it was an unnecessarily horrific thing to do, and wasted the supposedly valuable liquid.

Good, sometimes great film. Could have done with much, much less of that soundtrack though.
pldms
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Postby blackmarket on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:17 pm

I appreciate what they did with a limited budget and the race-related themes addressed in the film. I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed by the end of it all. The writing was OK. I kept asking myself why people were doing the stupidest things imaginable, like giving up cars to obvious criminals or randomly climbing out 20-story windows. Was that Dude's really nice apartment? how does that fit into all of this. I thought they were broke!
blackmarket
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby blackmarket on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 pm

pldms wrote:
Me Again wrote:... to beating up the security guard of African descent and putting liquid LSD in his mouth,...--the underlying message seemed to be that these white kids were fucking things up for people of color, who were just minding their own business.

I think you're on to something there. The treatment of the security guard was also a bit of a misstep - it was an unnecessarily horrific thing to do, and wasted the supposedly valuable liquid.

It was necessary to incapacitate the guard and make him seem crazy AF. The small dribble was maybe a few hundred to less than a thousand dollars worth of drugs. Not a lot considering what was at risk (his life and his brother's).
blackmarket

Postby Me Again on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:51 pm

*spoilers*

blackmarket wrote:I kept asking myself why people were doing the stupidest things imaginable, like giving up cars to obvious criminals or randomly climbing out 20-story windows. Was that Dude's really nice apartment? how does that fit into all of this. I thought they were broke!

The young girl was bored and gullible and probably admired Connie and was hoping he might end up sleeping with her. The loser guy who climbed out the window probably wanted to avoid jail at all costs, and he was also drunk and in panic mode.

That was the security guard's apartment. Very dumb of them to go there but they were running out of steam and probably didn't have anywhere else to go.

It looked (from my vantage point at least) like that loser guy gave the guard two, maybe three big gulps worth of the liquid LSD, which I agree was unconscionable. I guess it was kind of funny in a perverse way when the guard came to and started freaking out, because it was easy to imagine how disoriented he probably felt to wake up handcuffed in a stretcher with flashlights in his face (after being beaten up) and tripping his balls off inside an amusement park. But there was something super sad about it too. It was consistent with the tenor of the film, though, as pretty much all of the criminals on the run didn't hesitate to throw anyone under the bus who got in their way.
Me Again
devil
devil

Postby pldms on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:57 pm

blackmarket wrote:...small dribble...

Maybe I misremembered (saw it last week) but I thought he poured rather more than that? And even a dribble would be a sizeable dose.
pldms
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Postby blackmarket on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:42 pm

pldms wrote:
blackmarket wrote:...small dribble...

Maybe I misremembered (saw it last week) but I thought he poured rather more than that? And even a dribble would be a sizeable dose.

Yes, that was a HUGE dose - like taking several sheets or more and eating them all at once! Totally fucked and unconscionable! But necessary under the circumstances and not a big loss from the perspective of Loser Guy. A mouthful or two out of 17-18oz of pure LSD is a negligible amount when a psychopath feels as though his life is on the line.

I still don't get the climbing out a window drunk. Police were not even at the door. I had a difficult time believing a lot for the choices that were made. Chalk it up to desperate times, yo!

I spent the whole film thinking the counselor was Howard Stern.
blackmarket

Postby Redline on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:28 pm

blackmarket wrote:
I kept asking myself why people were doing the stupidest things imaginable, like giving up cars to obvious criminals or randomly climbing out 20-story windows.

People do that stuff and things that are way more stupid, every day. All the time.

If they live, their explanations for such behavior are even more stupefying.
Redline

Postby Me Again on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:09 pm

There's a memorable line from Pembleton on Homicide: Life on the Street: "Crime makes you stupid."

There are shrewd criminals (like certain politicians and CEOs of corporations, as well as thieves, embezzlers, extortionists, and murderers and the like who never get caught), but the most common criminals out there are not the sharpest tools in the shed, and they arouse suspicion nearly everywhere they go. Like Connie and the Loser, they're not thinking that far ahead. My loser German neighbor across the street burned his own house down (right in front of everyone), involving himself in a statewide insurance fraud scheme, in the hope of collecting an amount of money back that was no where near worth it. He should have just sold his home and moved to Miami but somehow an extra $100,000 or whatever was worth going to jail for and possibly killing someone who got caught in the blaze. He wasn't thinking about anyone else, or himself for that matter.
Me Again
devil
devil

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:22 am

Kinda loved it, soundtrack excepted.

I'm a huge Bronstein fan - the dialogue about Twizzlers in Frownland is right up there with Herzog's dancing chicken in terms of things that make me feel less alone in the world - and his script was like a Michael Mann film turned on its head. One of the best cases of mistaken identity I've ever seen. The direction was fantastic too, the whole hospital sequence was gripping and tense.

The little things in the movie really made it for me, like a former teen heartthrob committing statutory, the dog rescue news broadcast, the picture of the security guard's daughter in his hallway, looping in a haunted house at an amusement park for no real reason other than yuks.

For all the talk of the goofy shit the criminals do, I thought Pattinson's character was the closest I've seen a character get to criminal genius without a film seeming cheesy or forced.

Only real thing I disliked was the flashback of the drunken loser on parole's day out. The whole thing was dumb, but I guess it moved the plot forward.

The ending was perfect, real redemption for a character who deserves it.

I am very glad that in these trying, cliche-addled times where everything is superheros and pessimism parading as realism, we have the Safdie Brothers and Paolo Sorrentino. I've yet to see a film created by either where I could predict what would happen next.

Not Crap
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Me Again on Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:43 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:Only real thing I disliked was the flashback of the drunken loser on parole's day out. The whole thing was dumb, but I guess it moved the plot forward.

The first time through this part almost nauseated me with its drug-addled depravity. It felt similar to some of the weaker sequences in Scorcese's oeuvre, that are often hyper-mediated and full of ramped-up exposition glorifying shitty behavior.

But the second time through I liked it because in addition to escalating the tension it showed that Connie had made a huge mistake in picking up this guy and that he was a liability. There's a sense of doom that crept in there, in addition to some humor. I found myself rooting for Connie (and, earlier on, Nick as well) throughout much of the film. But when the Loser Guy put all of his cards on the table it really seemed like Connie was pushing his luck and destined to fail. This brought with it a tonal shift that lasted until the very end of the film, until Nick was redeemed, and I didn't mind it the second time.
Me Again
devil
devil

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap