Crap / Not Crap

Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes : 6

Film: Phantom Thread

Postby CSP_Skater on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:06 pm

The new Paul Thomas Anderson film. Anybody see this? I liked the soundtrack.

Edit: Poll added.
Last edited by CSP_Skater on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CSP_Skater
julia roberts
julia roberts

Re: Film: Phantom Thread

Postby Madman Munt on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Is this about FMs who create Fearsome and Mammoth threads then delete their accounts and all their posts?

Is DDL playing FM big_dave?
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:36 am

Saw it today and enjoyed it a hell of a lot, but I'm still not sure if what happened during the dinner scene near the end was totally right. Will definitely see it again though. NC!
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby Ike on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 am

My favorite movie of the past few years.

GO IN BLIND. Don't look up anything about it going in. The trailers give about 10% of what the film is actually about.
Ike
the white ho
the white ho

Postby enframed on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:10 am

Ike wrote:GO IN BLIND. Don't look up anything about it going in. The trailers give about 10% of what the film is actually about.

This.

Good movie.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:55 am

On second viewing, the humour was more pronounced and the swooning score was really something. No more reservations about the dinner scene, seemed to make perfect sense this time given the emotional trajectory of Reynolds and Alma throughout the film.

Terrific film, it's up there with There Will Be Blood.
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 am

Loved it.

thelonelymastodronus wrote:On second viewing

Somehow didn't think about going to see it again but I will.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Clyde on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 pm

A great film on first viewing and one that I think will reward repeat viewings. Trying to figure out whether it's worth the extra money to either see it blown up to 70mm or to go to one of the Wordless Orchestra showings.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:39 pm

^Agreed.

Just remembered that I bought tix to the live score...but that's obviously different to watching the film with music mix.
givemenoughrope

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:30 am

The only PTA film I'd seen prior is Boogie Nights but I loved this. As I remember it the second half in particular lifted off the screen and achieved some real greatness, but I should see it again as I feel like I wallowed in this thing so much that I didn't properly watch it.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Ike on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 am

Can't quit thinking about the film, and desperately want to see it again (it's gone from theaters here).

I'll spare the dissertation, but this might be PTA's best film. Certainly his most subtle (up to a point, obviously).
Ike
the white ho
the white ho

Postby boilermaker on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Yes, I agree it's PTA's best film and I've enjoyed them all. It would repay a second or third viewing. The best film I've seen in a very long time.
boilermaker
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Postby Justin Foley on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:06 pm

I didn't like this movie for two big reasons.

First, the movie seemed very self conscious – a lot of shots and scenery and costumes that went beyond creating an atmosphere; they almost swallowed the rest of the movie. I felt like I was being shown a spectacle rather than watching a movie. It took itself very seriously.

Second, the movie spent the majority of time following the female protagonist around but revealed nothing about her. She existed in the movie as a tool only to reveal more stuff about DDH’s guy. I guess this doesn’t have to be bad but it made me feel she was only there to tell his story.

Some credit for the weird turn the movie takes on what makes them happy together.

= Justin
Justin Foley
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby enframed on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Justin Foley wrote:I

Second, the movie spent the majority of time following the female protagonist around but revealed nothing about her. She existed in the movie as a tool only to reveal more stuff about DDH’s guy.

= Justin

This is the major criticism I encountered when doing very limited reading about it. I disagree a bit. Alma's actions speak pretty loudly as to who she is, though not how she got there. While we hear a bit about Woodcock's back story, IIRC, we're not given a whole lot there either.

I didn't get much of your first criticism, it was a "period piece" and Anderson has always had an eye for framing and composition. The two came together here for the first time.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby givemenoughrope on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Yea, I thought the film was careful NOT to reveal too much about her because of the ending...which revealed plenty about her. Also, it never occurred to me that the film was about him but rather about their relationship. We think it's about him and the reveal shows us otherwise. I dunno...just what I thought.

And I could see someone or even myself being all meh about the long shots and self-conscious filmmaking stuff... I think that you either ride the wave of it and get it or you don't sometimes. And then on a another viewing you might or might not. I'm finding that there are films I thought were great or not so great bc of these things were different to me the next time around and it was largely what I brought to it..my mood or if I watched it in a theater or on a tv. I liked it first time round. might go again.
givemenoughrope

Postby enframed on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:31 am

Also, this needs a poll.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby Justin Foley on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 pm

enframed wrote:
Justin Foley wrote:I

Second, the movie spent the majority of time following the female protagonist around but revealed nothing about her. She existed in the movie as a tool only to reveal more stuff about DDH’s guy.

= Justin

This is the major criticism I encountered when doing very limited reading about it. I disagree a bit. Alma's actions speak pretty loudly as to who she is, though not how she got there. While we hear a bit about Woodcock's back story, IIRC, we're not given a whole lot there either.

I didn't get much of your first criticism, it was a "period piece" and Anderson has always had an eye for framing and composition. The two came together here for the first time.

I'm arguing about this only for fun, so please don't take my disagreements as anything other than conversation -

spoilers:

I was thinking about this more today (so I should give some credit to the film for sticking with me more than a day). I imagined a criticism that said: "this movie is a total man-fantasy (man-tasy?). Here's a Man - a wildly successful artist - who has bent the world to his expectations and routines. He uses and then casts aside younger women when he grows weary of their silliness. His clothes are obviously more important than the women who wear them. And then, one day, he discovers a woman probably 1/2 his age who is just the right amount of independent from him to keep his attention. She is as in love with him as he is but, because he misses his mommy, provides for him the care and support he's been missing. She devotes her life to him and they live happier ever after, even though there's some bumps in the way.

"This is a tired, tired way of looking at the world and no amount of fabulous clothes, sweeping shots, immaculate interiors or plaintive piano music makes it any more worth seeing."

Doesn't seem unfair. Or maybe it's a criticism of all that and I just missed it because I don't really like upper-class British culture.

= Justin
Justin Foley

Postby eliya on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:39 pm

That's a fair assessment of the movie. I think that's part of the charm, though. It's a classic, traditional and old fashioned love story, but all of it is twisted. The way it's told, the way it's shot, the ending, the characters - it was all twisted. I think you can probably say this about all or most art, that it's just some old idea dressed differently.

I also don't think that the lead female character only existed to reveal more stuff about Daniel Day Lewis's character. We knew everything there was to know about him before she even showed up on screen. Her mysteriousness was done on purpose and not by accident, and the story is really about her bending this fussy, stubborn, idiotic person to her will.

By the way, did anyone else feel like the movie was more of a thriller than a drama?
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Ike on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:28 pm

Eliya, I did RIGHT until the climax. At one point I think I was physically squirming. Then when scene played out I felt a weight lift.
Ike
the white ho
the white ho

Postby givemenoughrope on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Justin Foley wrote:I was thinking about this more today (so I should give some credit to the film for sticking with me more than a day). I imagined a criticism that said: "this movie is a total man-fantasy (man-tasy?). Here's a Man - a wildly successful artist - who has bent the world to his expectations and routines. He uses and then casts aside younger women when he grows weary of their silliness. His clothes are obviously more important than the women who wear them. And then, one day, he discovers a woman probably 1/2 his age who is just the right amount of independent from him to keep his attention. She is as in love with him as he is but, because he misses his mommy, provides for him the care and support he's been missing. She devotes her life to him and they live happier ever after, even though there's some bumps in the way.

"This is a tired, tired way of looking at the world and no amount of fabulous clothes, sweeping shots, immaculate interiors or plaintive piano music makes it any more worth seeing."

You missed the part where she poisons him and nurses him back and he's not only cool with it but INTO it. Ok, it's a flick with an self-centered control freak dude who treats people like garbage. Although I think there is PLENTY to be explored here from now until the end of time (not tired at all)...I don't really think that has much to do with what the movie is really all about...any more than most good sci-fi is actually about robots and time machines.... just the means of getting there.
givemenoughrope

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap