Trader Joe's
92%
Whole Foods
8%

Total votes : 12

Grocerydome: Trader Joe's vs. Whole Foods

Postby P.J. Craven on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:54 am

Trader Joe's vs. Whole Foods

There's a Whole Foods around the corner from me that I had ignored for a couple years. Then I found out I could get good stuff there inexpensively sometimes—half a rotisserie chicken for $5, a sizable plate of escargot for $10, stuff like that. Trader Joe's isn't far from me either, and has long been my go-to store, but I keep getting sucked into Whole Foods instead as of late.

Trader Joe's has good stuff and is just cheaper. I shouldn't be shopping cautiously at a Whole Foods for fuck's sake, but I guess I've just sorta learned to pick my spots. An eight dollar soup? What is wrong with you, Whole Foods? Shopping in Catania, I can get fresh food all over the place on the cheap—we know you're being silly...why dive headlong into such pretentious pricing?

What I'd really like is a carniceria/supermercato option, but my neighborhood is expensive af and I'm shocked that the good taco place that just opened last year can even survive. I want my giant Topo Chicos, not the TC soda bottles they have at Whole Foods.

I don't have a vote yet.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Re: Grocerydome: Trader Joe's vs. Whole Foods

Postby 154 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 am

Trader Joe's is only good if you wanna live on a diet of pistachios and cheap wine.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby RikSmits on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 am

154 wrote:Trader Joe's is only good if you wanna live on a diet of pistachios and cheap wine.

Which is my exact diet.
Unless they change their infrastructure, they're not ready for a punk show.
RikSmits
pauly shore
pauly shore

Postby brephophagist on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Maybe it's an inappropriate parallel, but I think of Trader Joe's the same way I think of Ikea: they give you interesting ingredients that can be combined into cool shit cheaply. When they have a grand vision for a thing, though, it's usually not very good. Even the ingredients can be kinda inconsistent - the coffee is uniformly terrible in my experience, e.g.

Ain't no "cheaply" to any of the Whole Foods stores that I've visited, though admittedly that's not a huge number.
brephophagist
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby righthanded on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Trader Joe's is good if you don't care about dinner, basically. Whole Foods is fine but expensive and their owner or ceo or whomever was a racist--so fuck them. (I mean, i'm sure whoever owns TJ's is probably a pos, too but it's not like they're desperate to let me know that, unlike the dick at whole foods.)
righthanded
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby geiginni on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Both stores have their purpose.

Trader Joe's is backpacking/camping food central. All nuts, dried fruit, trail mix, instant cereal, hard cheese and bullshit cheap jerky comes from there. Otherwise it's lunches and dinners for when we don't have time for "proper food". Also, their pepperoni pizzas can be doctored up nicely (sliced shallots, pepperoncini, anchovies, extra pecorino, and cracked pepper). Their produce is bullshit, as is most of their coffee, meat and most frozen things.

We have a whole foods 3 blocks away. I'll go there for on-sale local fruit, some produce, meat, rotisserie chickens and that's pretty much it. Anything from a box or can there will be overpriced.

I miss Mariano's. Maybe now that Kroger owns Roundy's, they'll start opening up Mariano's stores in Portland. We could sure use them! Freddie's is serviceable. Safeway and Albertsons can suck shits.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby hayate on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm

I prefer New Season's....

Trader Joe's is horrificly un-traversable. It feels like looking for your shoe in a mcdonalds ball-pin. And I thought walmart was a clusterf88k....

No New Season's? Whole foods will have to do.

There's a box of trophies for sale in my local Salvation Army.

£1.50. Unused.
hayate
julia child
julia child

Postby geiginni on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:35 pm

I like New Seasons for bulk goods and produce. Everything else there makes WF's look cheap in comparison. I also have no use for the myriad-of-things-which-are-imitations-of-things-non-vegans-can-get-cheaply-anywhere-else.
geiginni

Postby Madman Munt on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:31 pm

I can't even go into a Whole Foods any more as I'll just start hyperventilating with rage. I admit that his might be a slightly irrational response on my behalf.

It used to drive me mental when I'd go to NYC and it seemed like the only place to get stuff was Whole Foods.

Never even seen a Trader Joe's.
Madman Munt
"nick the greek" dandolos

Postby bishopdante on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Madman Munt wrote:I can't even go into a Whole Foods any more as I'll just start hyperventilating with rage.

Please note that they were recently acquired by Amazon for $13.7bn.

The way that big business mergers and acquisitions are hoovering up the economic landscape of the entire planet is totally bizarre.

Some of these conglomerates operate behind familiar brands but next to nobody has heard of the parent company. On new year's day it was reported that the CEO of 'catering company' the compass group died in a suspicious aircraft accident. Could it be dodgy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_Group

It wouldn't surprise me if there was foul play. Look at the stuff in "criticisms of the compass group".

It's *way* more serious than the '80s these days. We have a global corporate power elite behaving much like it's the era of the house of medici.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:01 pm

Both require some cherry picking.

Trader Joe's for nuts, dried fruit, rice, French green lentils, sardines, mustard, cat scratchers, shaving cream, moisturizer. (A lot of this stuff is contracted out to quality brands, then sold under the TJ's moniker. But the suppliers change every few years and the quality waffles.)

Whole Foods for organic Bell & Evans chickens, a handful of well-priced Italian pasta brands, salad greens, branzini, certain cheeses, mineral water, bulk-bin grains and beans, and the odd item that ends up way marked down on sale (organic milk, natural toothpaste).

But the vast majority of stuff at both stores is subpar. I, too, get vertigo upon entering and don't like shopping there unless I have to.

Tough call.

Neither of these places are remotely one-stop shopping nor responsible for most of what ends up on our plate. And both are blown away by a combo of CSA, local farmer's market, decent mom'n'pop butcher shop, Chinatown fishmarket, etc.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby Janeway on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 pm

trader joe is a little pussy punk bitch who decided to be the first gluten free and then retract every statement to save his own ass, total ass.

whole paycheck at least has something to offer.

but I’m just in a mood
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby enframed on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:31 am

Whole Foods has a good wine section. Trader Joe's is shit.

I shop at neither, though.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Madman Munt on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 am

OrthodoxEaster wrote:nuts, dried fruit, rice, French green lentils, sardines, mustard, cat scratchers, shaving cream, moisturizer.

Would not eat a meal prepared from these ingredients.
Madman Munt

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi's and seems to treat their employees fairly well.

Whole Foods is good only for drinking craft beer on the cheap at their instore bars. Even before being bought by Amazon the owner was a shitheel of the first order.

And since being bought by Amazon:

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/whole-foods-workers-revolt-after-amazon-imposes-dystopian-grading-system
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby P.J. Craven on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Man, I still don’t have a vote. Kinda leaning toward TJ’s.
P.J. Craven

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:25 am

Well...not like I expect staunch centrists to care how a place treats its employees anyway.

So you just go on and delay that vote for a poll you started, you horrible daddy's boy cuntstain.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby P.J. Craven on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:47 am

Well, I'll skip the insults, but I had been under the assumption that Whole Foods treats its employees better. But I heard that from a Canadian who had been working at one up north, so I don’t know.
P.J. Craven

Postby Redline on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:02 am

Trader Joe's...And I hardly ever go there. Whole Foods, never.

Look, I live two minutes from a Sendik's Food Market, no need for either multi-death corporation, yo.
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Return to Crap / Not Crap