The hits?

I like the hits.
64%
Dude, listen to the whole album.
36%

Total votes : 11

Act: Liking the hits

Postby elisha wiesner on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:59 pm

I find myself saying this a lot when someone asks me if I like a band. Not sure if it's a crap thing to say or not but sometimes it feels like a cop out.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Re: Act: Liking the hits

Postby wellbutrin on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 pm

this is how I feel about the Kinks. "but duuuuude" people say.

I regret nothing.
wellbutrin
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby Major on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:32 pm

phpBB [media]
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby zircona1 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:02 pm

I don't think it's a crap thing to say, as long as you're honest. For me, it's Daft Punk. I like the big hits -One More Time, Da Funk, Get Lucky, etc - but I find their albums boring, most of the songs just aimlessly roll on and aren't exciting (the one exception is Alive 2007).
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
joe niekro
joe niekro

Postby hellholiday on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:19 pm

Nothing wrong with it.

phpBB [media]
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby amar on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:18 pm

Crap

amar
evita
evita

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:58 pm

Singles Going Steady is such a strange album because you get all the singles in chronological order on one side, and then all the B-sides in chronological order on the other, so the two sides have this kind of parallel identity but also really serves to underline the difference between singles and B sides. I admit to having played side A more often, but that would figure since I'm not big into the Buzzcocks.

There's so many bands that wrote a few absolutely cracking songs and a whole load of filler. Yeah, it's considered boorish to only like the hits but for a lot of pop music the hits are the good ones, sometimes the only good ones.

Or maybe the hits are simply enough. Maybe you just don't need to hear four hours of Daft Punk.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Me Again on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:25 pm

hellholiday wrote:Nothing wrong with it.

phpBB [media]

What someone listens to is his or her own business, but man...as cool as Singles Going Steady is, it's missing a lot of prime cuts by this band. For one, it doesn't have "Nothing Left." Two, it fails to compile anything from Spiral Scratch (possibly the coolest indie EP of the 1970s). But most importantly if you pick up the expanded version of A Different Kind of Tension you'll find that Singles Going Steady is missing LOADS of great songs from it. Specifically I mean "Hollow Inside," "A Different Kind of Tension," "Running Free," "What Do You Know, " "Sitting Round at Home," and on and on.

Singles Going Steady is a fine primer, and a high water mark where greatest hits LPs are concerned, but still, it doesn't do justice to the Buzzcocks. Even Operator's Manual is missing some of their best material.

Keep diggin'! :smt023
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
bernard purdie
bernard purdie

Postby Teacher's Pet on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 pm

Many times I've wondered whether I need to venture beyond this one.
I haven't gone there yet, this one has satisfied my Squeeze needs for about 30 years now.
Teacher's Pet
cool kid
cool kid

Postby numberthirty on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:55 pm

I feel pretty Other: Just The Hits? Like, Over A Lifetime?

Seems like you would have to stumble into a couple of tunes past the hits just on accident.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Me Again on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 pm

According to Bruce McCullough, greatest hits albums "are for housewives and little girls."

phpBB [media]
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
bernard purdie
bernard purdie

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:30 pm

Me Again wrote:According to Bruce McCullough, greatest hits albums "are for housewives and little girls."

phpBB [media]

Yeah, well, Bruce McCullough doesn't know that there's bass guitar on every Doors album.

I mean, do you like the hits? Have you searched past them and found that you only like the hits? Yeah? Then what's so bad about saying so!

Sure, if you come at me with "Bow Wow Wow was a one hit wonder" I'll probably call you a fucking idiot, but forgive me if I feel my Eddy Grant greatest hits album is complete.

No vote.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby goatlord on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:39 am

I think that this is a dimension of the guilty pleasure dynamic. We like to think that we are a complete unity of thought, philosophically or aesthetically, but we are not, at all! We change from day to day, and from moment to moment. There are some bands that I want to explore everything they did, but for others, I don't really have that little impulse that makes me do it!

I like the first Spice Girls record a lot, but really, I don't want to listen to anything after it. The same thing happens with Franco Battiato, I like some of his pop songs, but I mostly stick to the prog/experimental era. Yeah, I know it's not the whole Battiato/Spice Girls picture, but why should I search it? Why should I do anything aesthetically? What I like, I like, and there's mostly nor harm to it. Maybe it's a bit, a trick of production, some melody, some image or concept attached to it, something that feel rebellious (Liking Spice girls and noise/death metal maybe seems provocative?) or something tied with my experience, but it's a tangle that I really don't want to unravel. I like mysteries!

That being said, it's always useful and commendable to search for the whole picture in any art, but if you don't want to, don't! It's ok! Thanks! Ok!
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby 154 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:04 am

Greatest Hits comps are totally fine for bands like ELO, Badfinger.. I dunno, bands where it seemed like they put all their effort into the 'big' songs.

And then there are shitty bands like Chicago, The Eagles, and Billy Joel. A passive fan who hums along with 'Take It Easy' on the radio certainly doesn't need the deep cuts.

Singles Going Steady doesn't count because none of those songs were actually hits (maybe 'What Do I Get' over time..).
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Major on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:25 am

I've always been a big fan of Hall & Oates hits. A few years ago, I did a deep dive into their catalog because I found every LP at a garage sale for less than $1. There are very, very few non-hits worthy of your time, although I was pleasantly surprised by how good the Private Eyes album is.

Sure, maybe there is a killer track on Straight Shooter, but 10 From 6 is all I'll ever need.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby sulfur)addict on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:51 am

ELO's debut album is a pretty unique piece of rock music being played ensemble. I like it a lot. I imagine it's mostly Roy Wood's doing, as the band descended into their patented 12 piece "orchestral" garbage pop after his departure.

HATE THE HITS, love the rekkid
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

Postby hellholiday on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:26 am

Anthony Flack wrote:I'm not big into the Buzzcocks.

you just don't need to hear four hours of Daft Punk.

Which is why hits albums is just fine for me with certain acts.

For as much as I used to be into the Pogues and Replacements I'd happily boil down their catalogs to a 'hits' album each. Of course I'd choose the track listings.
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby NewDarkAge on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 am

154 wrote:Singles Going Steady doesn't count because none of those songs were actually hits (maybe 'What Do I Get' over time..).

Interestingly about half a dozen of the songs on that album were top-40 singles in the UK.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge

Postby Redline on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:03 pm

If you listened to everything ABBA recorded, you would hate them.

If you only listen to the hits, ABBA are sublime.

LIKE THE HITS! NO SHAME!
Redline

Postby Major on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:13 pm

Redline wrote:If you listened to everything ABBA recorded, you would realize just how incredibly talented and criminally underrated they are.

FYP
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap