home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Marvel Film: Black Panther

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Black Panther

Crap
5
29%
Not Crap
12
71%
 
Total votes : 17

Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby Jeremy B on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:06 pm

So.....

What did everyone think?
Jon Fine wrote:What had started out as free and welcoming ended up becoming as rigid and rule-bound as everything I'd hoped it would replace.
User avatar
Jeremy B
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2757
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:48 pm
Location: Ladies Dormitory, 90066

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby Major on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:25 am

I haven't heard anything about this new film.
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6516
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: 29.7604° N, 95.3698° W

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby blackmarket on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Meh.
User avatar
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby ooop on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 am

Ok movie. Too long, like the rest of the MCU and super hero movies these days. Some cool things. Pretty good soundtrack. But those politics! Goddamn! When the white CIA agent is an unironic hero for blowing up the planes carrying arms and supplies to liberation movements all over the world, I just don't know what to say. Tearing down public housing in Oakland to build Vibranium NGOs and the charter school for T'Challa's Little Urban Achievers to learn how to code or whatever was just icing on the neoliberal cake. But maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.
ooop
les nessman
les nessman
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:14 pm

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby pldms on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:48 am

ooop wrote:blowing up the planes carrying arms

Because this week it seems like a great idea to give people more weapons?
pldms
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby blackmarket on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 am

via Jordan Peele:

Image
User avatar
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby Redline on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 am

^ "If I could have seen it three times, I would have."
User avatar
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9143
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby iembalm on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm

When the mountain tribe began making gorilla noises at the lone white guy who was attempting to speak, my mouth fell open. My God, there's layers to that. It almost takes more balls for a black filmmaker to make that decision than a white one.

I liked it very much.


SPOILER


One thing that's going to stick with me is a little acting choice that Chadwick Boseman made toward the end, when he's speaking with his dead father in the netherworld. As he tells his father that he believes that the isolationist policies that have protected Wakanda for centuries were a mistake, his voice reaches a peak of emotion and he just gives a little *hop* with his feet. Tiny little bit of business, but I loved it.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:47 am

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby Ike on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:17 am

I loved every second of it.

Very pleased it took its time as well, and very happy to see such a wide berth given to the character who is essentially "the bad guy" in the film.

Very good movie, probably my favorite of those types of films since Guardians of the Galaxy.
Ike
the white ho
the white ho
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby Johnny C on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 pm

It was fun, even if the big fight at the end where a bunch of Wakandans are just killing each other so that there could be a big studio-mandated fight sequence with lasers in was less exciting than the battle of wills (or even the chase in South Korea, which was really fun and a lot clearer to follow). I suspect the CIA agent being a good guy and Killmonger being less ambiguous as a villain as the film went on had as much to do with ongoing military/CIA cooperation in Marvel films and less to do with the movie's prescribed political program or whatever.

I dunno. The discourse around the movie's politics is immediately exhausting. I just want to watch the big blockbuster movie without having to litigate it for a month. It's a fine big blockbuster movie.

E: A thing I realized midway through was how well-written the dialogue was for the East African accent the leads adopted, and what made me realize it was how awkward all the Marvel universe stuff sounds when crammed into it. The characters all felt very lived-in and distinct and also credible and any time they'd jam "Vibranium" into it or whatever was jarring.
Last edited by Johnny C on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
User avatar
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: The Great White North

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby blackmarket on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 pm

The GC eye-sore effects look terrible in this film.
User avatar
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby Johnny C on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Killmonger probably did some torturing in Iraq, right? Like there's no way that the guy who has a large town's worth of murders inscribed on his body didn't do at least a little bit of light car-battery-hooked-to-a-ballsack shit on some poor schmuck who wound up driving the wrong cab through the Red Zone
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
User avatar
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: The Great White North

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby Antero on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:22 am

Fucking rocked, though the ending made me want to drop-kick a Disney exec.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11111
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Hated this fake woke generic snooze fest. This is the last blockbuster action movie I'm going to see in the next ever.

My favorite scene was when two CGI cartoons were falling down a dark hole punching each other to no music. Suspenseful.

Craaaap
User avatar
Twilight Sparkle
has seen it all
has seen it all
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby eliya on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 pm

I liked it. I don't really like superhero movies because I think they're dumb, and void of real substance or character. This was the first superhero movie I saw that made sense, and where the villain and hero had a real, deep beef. The female characters are great. The love story isn't dumb and I didn't even think of it as a love story until the very end. There are also layers to the story and that's another thing superhero movies usually lack.

It's funny that people are offended by the politics around it. Take a rest and drink a glass of water.
User avatar
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7574
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby blackmarket on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Twilight Sparkle wrote:Hated this fake woke generic snooze fest. This is the last blockbuster action movie I'm going to see in the next ever.

My favorite scene was when two CGI cartoons were falling down a dark hole punching each other to no music. Suspenseful.

Craaaap


Ha, ha - this?

https://video.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t ... e=5A9498C6

SO bad, and super lazy. Bodies are stretching out in impossible ways. Physics don't work like that! It was fine when Sam Raimi did Spiderman, 'cause that's what he does and it is intentional. Also, 15 years ago. This is just fucking lazy and uncreative cinematography.
Last edited by blackmarket on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby eliya on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:22 pm

blackmarket wrote:Bodies are stretching out in impossible ways. Physics don't work like that!


Lol. I don't know if you watched the rest of the movie, or any superhero movie, but there's a lot of stuff there that defies the laws of physics. It makes a lot of sense, physics wise, when Superman reverses the rotation of Earth and by doing it reverses time as well.
User avatar
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7574
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby blackmarket on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:26 pm

eliya wrote:
blackmarket wrote:Bodies are stretching out in impossible ways. Physics don't work like that!


Lol. I don't know if you watched the rest of the movie, or any superhero movie, but there's a lot of stuff there that defies the laws of physics. It makes a lot of sense, physics wise, when Superman reverses the rotation of Earth and by doing it reverses time as well.


What you are talking about is suspension of disbelief in the story telling in a child's film. What I posted above is lazy cinematography that fully-grown adults seem to think is bad-ass. It is not. Your bar is low.
User avatar
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby eliya on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:25 pm

blackmarket wrote:
eliya wrote:
blackmarket wrote:Bodies are stretching out in impossible ways. Physics don't work like that!


Lol. I don't know if you watched the rest of the movie, or any superhero movie, but there's a lot of stuff there that defies the laws of physics. It makes a lot of sense, physics wise, when Superman reverses the rotation of Earth and by doing it reverses time as well.


What you are talking about is suspension of disbelief in the story telling in a child's film. What I posted above is lazy cinematography that fully-grown adults seem to think is bad-ass. It is not. Your bar is low.


Both are elements of story telling. It's silly to call Superman movies child's films. A ton of adults go to superhero movies.

Also, I don't think people are calling that one scene badass. People think that a movie about a powerful nation of black africans is badass. People think that a movie where the cast is almost uniformly black is badass. It's just so funny that people choose to nitpick to death a movie that means so much to so many people.
User avatar
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7574
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby blackmarket on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 pm

eliya wrote:
blackmarket wrote:
eliya wrote:
blackmarket wrote:Bodies are stretching out in impossible ways. Physics don't work like that!


Lol. I don't know if you watched the rest of the movie, or any superhero movie, but there's a lot of stuff there that defies the laws of physics. It makes a lot of sense, physics wise, when Superman reverses the rotation of Earth and by doing it reverses time as well.


What you are talking about is suspension of disbelief in the story telling in a child's film. What I posted above is lazy cinematography that fully-grown adults seem to think is bad-ass. It is not. Your bar is low.


Both are elements of story telling. It's silly to call Superman movies child's films. A ton of adults go to superhero movies.


Adults loved those Harry Potter films. The new Lego movies are pretty good, but they are obviously designed for my five year old son, first and foremost. You are seriously going to propose that Superman (1978) was written for adults? Have you sat down and watched it lately? It's terrible at all levels, yet, I remember loving it as a kid. In 1978, studios didn't make superhero films for infantilized adults. They were sold to children. Their parents or other adults would watch peripherally.
User avatar
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 13 guests