Netflix original: Altered Carbon

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Altered Carbon?

Burnt Ash
Total votes : 6

Netflix original: Altered Carbon

Postby curry pervert on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:42 am

Just finished this, really enjoyed it. Didn't know anything about it prior other than seeing a trailer for it, so no preconceptions.

Futuristic Dystopian Sci-Fi thriller based on the book by Richard K. Morgan.

Apparently it's left audiences divided - "not enough depth", "one-dimensional characters" etc. I just took it at face value and thought it was pretty good. There's plenty of gratuitous nudity and violence (some perhaps unnecessary) but regardless of the criticisms the story holds you reasonably well I thought, without too much obvious 'I know what's coming next' going on.

Anyone else seen it?
caix wrote:Whoever said they started missing Clocker Bob after reading your dribble, I didn't get it at first. Now I totally get it. I am really missing Bob right now.
curry pervert
charlie brown
charlie brown

Re: Netflix original: Altered Carbon

Postby andyman on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 am

Any of the stuff related to sleeves was kind of cool, as a concept exploration. The rest was badly acted and written. A fiery latina cop? Really?

There was scope for philosophically exploring the nature of identity and how we relate to ourselves, but they didn't really do that. [Spoiler]It would have been cooler if the sister was just another sleeve and he was chasing some unknown string-puller whose identity was ultimately arbitrary yadda yadda something about the nature of being at the whim of uncontrollable forces.[/Spoiler]

Bad noir.

Also, what was with the uber Aryan protagonist?
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby blackmarket on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am

I think I am seven episodes in. Surface-level character development with story telling reminiscent of the later Matrix films. Rides heavily on the coattails of Bladerunner 2049. It's no Expanse, but I will finish the season out and hold hope that it improves over time. Altered Carbon is one of those shows you can have on in the background while doing other things and not have to worry about missing much. Anything you didn't catch the first time will be revisited once or twice more.
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 am

Started off well enough, kind of grew tired of it as the season progressed. As noted above, it seems like they could have done a lot more with it.

Reileen has very interesting features. I like actors with unique physical characteristics like that.
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby enframed on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Tried, gave it 4-5 episodes. Meh. Crap.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby motorbike guy on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:37 am

Let me tell you a little secret. I am a soccer dad. Which means that I spend a lot of time sitting in my car in a parking lot while one of my sons is at soccer practice.

Unlimited data plan has saved my life. I have been streaming Amazon and Netflix like a fiend all winter.

So, I have suffered a lot of shit TV in the last 8 months. I am almost done watching Altered Carbon - I think I have one or two episodes left. I have enjoyed it. It is very Blade Runner ish in its set design and overall look. It is a little simple, but it is entertaining. I like the main characters, and the fighting is pretty kick ass. I have pretty low standards for sci fi, I will admit, and most anything beats sitting in a car listening to NPR, especially these days. NPR just bums me out.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy

Postby Tommy on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:50 am

It took three tries to get through episode one. I fell asleep on two separate occasions. I think I'm through 3 or so episodes at his point. I don't love it. I don't hate it. Sticking around to see where it's going. Maybe. We'll see.

Postby brephophagist on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:01 pm

80% of this show wants to revel in trashy coke-fueled sex and larger-than-life gore. 20% of it still wants to be Important™. If it committed to the trashy side wholeheartedly, I'd have more respect for it. Quit after 3 eps.
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Return to Crap / Not Crap