home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: The Fall

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Fawyhllll-ahh! Selec-tah for the Fawyhllll-ahh!

CRAP-AHH
9%
CRAP----AHH----NAAAAHHTTTTT
91%

Total votes : 289

Re: Band: The Fall

Postby The Ditch on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:24 pm

Having watched the whole Glastonbury set I can conclude that MES pissed his trousers to put them out because he was ON FUCKING FIRE.
The Ditch
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby Josef K on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm

The Ditch wrote:Having watched the whole Glastonbury set I can conclude that MES pissed his trousers to put them out because he was ON FUCKING FIRE.
gjhardwick wrote:shut up you massive baptist
Josef K
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:03 pm

That band he's got right now is pretty good.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby P.J. Craven on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:38 pm

tmidgett wrote:That band he's got right now is pretty good.

Man[g], his bands are too often criminally good. Wouldn't know if his current lineup is exceptional, granted.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Adam Sr on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:41 am

Adam Sr
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby P.J. Craven on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:14 am

P.J. Craven wrote:

Man[g], his bands are too often criminally good. Wouldn't know if his current lineup is exceptional, granted.

Ah, now I have heard the new band. Yes! Especially the drummer.
P.J. Craven

Postby honeyisfunny on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:36 am

P.J. Craven wrote:
P.J. Craven wrote:

Those lads have been in the Fall for ages - drummer and bassist anyway. Since 2007 maybe (when they transitioned from the 'American Fall' to the current line up with Greenway on guitar).

Not sure about the MES impersonator banging buckets.
chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby P.J. Craven on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:47 am

honeyisfunny wrote:
P.J. Craven wrote:
P.J. Craven wrote:

Those lads have been in the Fall for ages - drummer and bassist anyway. Since 2007 maybe (when they transitioned from the 'American Fall' to the current line up with Greenway on guitar).

I assumed that no one could tolerate or be tolerated by MES for more than three years.
P.J. Craven

Postby Bill Swansea on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am

Are the band rocking the equipment they purchased with a Glasto paycheck? Love it.

Smiths on form in that footage, that intro! Excellent.

New album is up there too.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea

Postby Spyros on Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:20 am

honeyisfunny wrote:Those lads have been in the Fall for ages - drummer and bassist anyway. Since 2007 maybe (when they transitioned from the 'American Fall' to the current line up with Greenway on guitar).

One ultra-obvious angle is that the bucket-banger is being groomed from within as contingency MES replacement. Co-fronts band with Elena and goes up against Brix-led touring cabaret act in Bucks Fizz-style naming-rights war.
Spyros
ambulance chaser
ambulance chaser

Postby MRoyce on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:08 am

I've got the same problem with the Fall that some have with Deerhoof, I cannot get past Mark E Smiths vocals(or his personality). Every time I listen to them this is going through my head:"Banging band and arrangements but what is the drunk guy there for? How come I can only understand every fifh word coming out of his mouth? Wouldn't it be great if his Mic just stopped working?"

His vocals are the only thing that mars the otherwise perfect Houdini by Long Fin Killie, it seems impossible for me to get into it. Is there a way into the Fall for me or how do you guys approach Mark E. Smiths music?
MRoyce
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:21 pm

There is no way around Mark E. Smith. Maybe it'll click for you one day.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby the Classical on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:59 am

honeyisfunny wrote:

I'm actually kind of bored with this line-up, at least on record, though watching the Glasto set and the Electric Brixton set from last Sept, man they are really kicking ass live. And I have to admit, I kind of love the MES impersonator banging buckets (would see), it adds an edge, an oddness this line-up sometimes feels like its lacking.

And, I'm sure it is just MES cheap but I can't believe they don't have their own sound engineer, it shocked me when I saw them in the US and doubly so at a big festival like Glastonbury, "thanks for turning down the volume cunt at the desk".
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby dannyno on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:45 pm

honeyisfunny wrote:
P.J. Craven wrote:
P.J. Craven wrote:

Greenway (guitar), Melling (drums) and Spurr (bass) have been around since 2006ish, gradually taking over from the Reformation era group. This makes them the longest serving Fall ever. Elena of course married MES in 2001 and has been in The Fall since 2002 (obviously no individual can yet beat Hanley's near-two-decades stint).

The bucket banger is Daren Garratt, who is regarded as having joined in 2013, but had appeared intermittently live on the occasional backing vocals since 2004 when the band he was in at the time, Pubic Fringe (Greenway was also a member), supported The Fall.

But Garratt has a history. He was in Pram, The Nightingales, and - remarkably - was/is a drugs worker/activist. Interesting bloke.
dannyno
comrade
comrade

Postby dannyno on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:03 pm

MRoyce wrote:I've got the same problem with the Fall that some have with Deerhoof, I cannot get past Mark E Smiths vocals(or his personality). Every time I listen to them this is going through my head:"Banging band and arrangements but what is the drunk guy there for? How come I can only understand every fifh word coming out of his mouth? Wouldn't it be great if his Mic just stopped working?"

His vocals are the only thing that mars the otherwise perfect Houdini by Long Fin Killie, it seems impossible for me to get into it. Is there a way into the Fall for me or how do you guys approach Mark E. Smiths music?

If you really hate MES's vocals, then there isn't much that can be done. Except point you towards the instrumentals (Mansion; Taurig) and those few Fall songs which have lead vocals by someone else: Trust in Me; Hotel Bloedel; Portugal; Stay Away (Old White Train); Wright Stuff; Vixen; Happi Song; City Never Sleeps; Haf Found Bormann; The Knight, The Devil and Death; Symbol of Mordgan (if this counts); Birthday; Bonkers in Phoenix; The City Never Sleeps; Hands Up Billy (mainly); Rude All The Time (mainly); I've Been Duped; Quartet of Doc Shanley.

But really, The Fall is all about MES's vocals.
dannyno
comrade
comrade

Postby Beetown on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Got my tickets for the Brisbane show in October. Listening to my 400 or so Fall tracks on shuffle to celebrate.
Beetown
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby jakethesnake on Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Not crap in the slightest; my favorite is the "Slates" mini-LP where I think literally every song rips and since I think a little goes a long way with those dudes, I think EP (or singles or 4-song Peel sessions) is the ideal format.

Otherwise, the Fall-record I mostly reach for is actually the first cd off the comp "Totally Wired" which contains almost all of "Slates" as well as their smoking singles from the same era and the highlights off the "Totale's turn..." live and about half of "Grotesque..." which is another album I really like.

Anyway, I like everything I've heard from these dudes between the debut and "Perverted by language"; after that, I'm not well-versed at all, I bought "Code:selfish" back in the early 90's off the strength of "Free range" which they used to show a lot on "120 minutes" here on MTV europe back in the day, otherwise I'm kind of clueless about their later catalogue. I've never bothered to dig into them more because I'm perfectly satisfied with what I've heard and never really felt the need to hear more... Maybe a mistake...
jakethesnake
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby small talk on Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm in the same boat. Where should I start with their post-2000 records? I just got my ticket for their Sydney show and want to be familiar with their recent stuff.
small talk
mob lawyer
mob lawyer

Postby a. james on Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:51 pm

maybe i'm dumber than all the fans of this band.

maybe it's a recalcitrant kind of thing where i have too much in common with mark e. smith to ever appreciate him.

maybe they are crap and any fan is dumber than me or them.

i don't know.

i like about three songs (one of them is a cover, and another was in a car commercial), by this band i voted crap some years ago and nothing has changed regardless of all i've been though since.

last time i gave them a sincere effort, i remember thinking that they don't know how to end a song. they all drag into the 4 and 5 and up minutes marks. they'd all be great at about 2 and a half.

this fucking band is a card trick and no one caught the slight.

crap. so crap. such a bullshit act. every prf band is better than the fall. congratulations.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby enframed on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:36 pm

small talk wrote:I'm in the same boat. Where should I start with their post-2000 records?

The Real New Fall LP, Fall Heads Roll, or Your Future Our Clutter, but they probably won't play anything from any of those.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap