The VSS?

Crap
5%
Not Crap
95%

Total votes : 22

Re:

Postby Dave N. on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:18 am

okra wrote:First time I met Sonny I booked a show for his band "Savalas".

I put out a Savalas 7" about 18 years ago. Where is Mr. Kay these days?

The VSS- NC.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Re: Band: The VSS

Postby crustandcrumb on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:30 am

Awesome band.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Re:

Postby honeyisfunny on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:37 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:wow wow wow! I really loved these guys, and I think the 21:51 album is far superior to anything any band member has been involved with since. Really great.

The Slaves comp CD (I think it's 2 EPs on a CD) is absolutely amazing. Pretty keen on the Year Future stuff I've heard too.
chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Re: Re:

Postby Somnambulist on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:15 am

honeyisfunny wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:wow wow wow! I really loved these guys, and I think the 21:51 album is far superior to anything any band member has been involved with since. Really great.

The Slaves comp CD (I think it's 2 EPs on a CD) is absolutely amazing. Pretty keen on the Year Future stuff I've heard too.

Those two Slaves EPs destroy everything Pleasure Forever put out. I really hated the new direction they took when they changed their name. I saw them right after the second EP came out in Atlanta and they were pretty incredible live. It was unfortunate that there was some huge WREK fest going on so there were only like 10 people at the show.

If you're into instrumental stuff, the drummer is in a band now called Red Sparowes that is kind of atmospheric and moody instrumental guitar rock and is pretty good.
Somnambulist
arrow of light
arrow of light

Postby honeyisfunny on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:02 am

Somnambulist wrote:
honeyisfunny wrote:

Those two Slaves EPs destroy everything Pleasure Forever put out. I really hated the new direction they took when they changed their name. I saw them right after the second EP came out in Atlanta and they were pretty incredible live. It was unfortunate that there was some huge WREK fest going on so there were only like 10 people at the show.

If you're into instrumental stuff, the drummer is in a band now called Red Sparowes that is kind of atmospheric and moody instrumental guitar rock and is pretty good.

I think the PF stuff's really good, the Slaves records just came a bit more out of nowhere when I first heard them and so I guess they hit me harder. They still sound weird now, there's one quiet song on those EPs that is incredible. I put a show on for PF years ago and through some convoluted circumstances the band New End Original got bumped onto the bill so they played to a packed house of bed wetting emo guys and they were just fantastic, I wish I had filmed it.
chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny

Postby Somnambulist on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:11 am

honeyisfunny wrote:I think the PF stuff's really good, the Slaves records just came a bit more out of nowhere when I first heard them and so I guess they hit me harder. They still sound weird now, there's one quiet song on those EPs that is incredible. I put a show on for PF years ago and through some convoluted circumstances the band New End Original got bumped onto the bill so they played to a packed house of bed wetting emo guys and they were just fantastic, I wish I had filmed it.

That was too harsh, I don't hate Pleasure Forever. I do like their records but they were just SO disappointing after those two incredible EPs. I saw PF twice and they were good but nothing like that insane Slaves show I saw after the second EP came out.
Somnambulist
arrow of light
arrow of light

Postby nick92675 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:00 pm

The VSS reunite, planning dates & reissue

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... unite.html
nick92675
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Clyde on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm

This is swell. I was fairly obsessed with this band back in the day. The one chance I had to see them was in '97 ('96?) in Portland but I chose instead to see a different band that night because the lead singer was a very beautiful girl I'd slept with a few years earlier and I was hoping to get back in her panties. But when I got there it turns out she was no longer in the band.

No VSS, no VAG. It wasn't a great night.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde

Postby Brinkman on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:14 pm

nick92675 wrote:The VSS reunite, planning dates & reissue

Nervous Circuits on vinyl, forthcoming. Fuck yes.
Brinkman
first class
first class

Postby Tree on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:36 pm

nick92675 wrote:The VSS reunite, planning dates & reissue

Wow, I think I can safely say a good reuniting band (besides Mission of Burma) is playing Denver.
Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono
Tree
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Geo Mantle on Sat May 18, 2013 1:29 am

Mabel and I covered "Death Scene" by the VSS a few times. Have been meaning to post this here for a little while.

http://youtu.be/EiltFZOlhpI?t=1m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Rm4wnrZyA
Hitting things in Spelling Bee. (spellingbee.bandcamp.com)
DJ at 88.1 KDHX in St. Louis (kdhx.org)
My site on STL DIY and experimental (wrongdivision.blogspot.com)
Geo Mantle
adjutant
adjutant

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:55 am

Revisited Nervous Circuits and 21:51 recently. Came across The VSS Facebook page today and saw this.

Verbs & Nouns
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby Evin Relocation on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:50 pm

I may or may not have described myself as "dress[ing] like I'm in The VSS" on an online dating site.

I will show myself out.

*throws smoke bomb on floor*
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap