Battles

Loop-tastic
71%
Confusing and upsetting
29%

Total votes : 137

Re: Battles

Postby J_Temperance on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:03 pm

Just wanna temper my impressions somewhat. I may have exaggerated a bit after listening to the first few tracks. New album is exciting until about, oh, track 4.

Listening to the entire album my thought process went something like this: "ooh, they're taking their style to cool new places, first song is a trip, second song is such a sick beat, hey track 3 is like that caribbean/asian music thing they had going on the last album only catchier, cool but let's hope they don't do it over and over again for the rest of the album, track 4 is, ok let's skip that, track 5 is a bunch of noise, track 6...hmm. Track 7...oh, I see".

In the end it ends up being a bunch of pleasant sounding, samey instrumentals, like a non shitty Ratatat or Tycho or something with John Stanier drumming. A shame, as I've always thought Battles have the potential to become a This Heat/Camberwell Now of sorts (just obviously way less apocalyptic). It's still the EP's for me...
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Isabelle Gall on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:47 am

Heavily into La Di Da Di, had high expectations and dudes did not disappoint. The 2nd half is going to piss a lot of people off though as it's so slippery and elusive and sort of gradually atrophies mysteriously across its duration. Beautiful stuff but it's the opposite of the bold full-tilt thing that people seem to be into with this band. As a whole it kind of reminds me of latter-day Stereolab as it's super lush but everything is considered and buffed to a sheen to an extent that turns some people off who would potentially be into it.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby enframed on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:Heavily into La Di Da Di...As a whole it kind of reminds me of latter-day Stereolab as it's super lush but everything is considered and buffed to a sheen to an extent that turns some people off who would potentially be into it.

Now I really want to hear it.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby skoz on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:03 pm

I'm pretty into the new record. I didn't like Gloss Drop very much particularly the tracks with guest vocalists. La di da di sounds like the product of much effort but also fun and unforced.

NC
skoz
mathew hopkins
mathew hopkins

Postby goatlord on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:49 am

Today I realized that the reason why I dislike this band so much is that they sound like the magazine Vice. Not even the mysoginistic awful early vice, just the decaf-clickbait-coke-party version they have going right now.

CRAP. CRAPPITY CRAP.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Facundo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:08 pm

They are to me the perfect explaination of the word hype.

The bad thing is that they came from making decent music.
nuking to the bombs, shooting to the bullets
Facundo
marshall
marshall

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap