home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Battles

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Battles

Loop-tastic
97
71%
Confusing and upsetting
40
29%
 
Total votes : 137

Re: Battles

Postby Isabelle Gall on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:38 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:I have a question for anyone who's seen them in the past few months: are they still clinging to that awful idea of having a video of one of the vocalists from the new album playing behind the band when they do that vocalist's song? Because that shit almost completely ruined the show for me.

They do, which should suck. Except last time I saw them the playback was connected to the Ableton stuff Ian was using, so they were remixing the vocal in realtime and treating it as another sample. No matter who it is the music gets rigid whenever you have musicians on stage looking at a screen. Even saw this happen to AMM once.
User avatar
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:35 pm

Re: Battles

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:01 am

Saw them on Sunday, had a blast. They seemed to really enjoy it and so did the audience, I wasn't alone in dancing my ass off. Sampled vocals with video screens didn't seem out of place to me at all as they use a lot of loops and samples anyway, maybe even too much, to me it looked like Ian Williams could have actually played more instead of adding a note here and there but mostly just launching samples, but what do I know, maybe it's a necessity because of Ty not being in the band any more. Watching Stainer play is a joy.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
User avatar
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7208
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:05 pm

Re: Battles

Postby a. james on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 am

i've found three or four of their songs that are definite not crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9abNFQawt9w

that's one.

crap.

their waffles are good though.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
User avatar
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 15272
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:42 pm
Location: rva.

Re: Battles

Postby Uecker on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:43 am

I actually prefer this band without Ty's vocals... Great live show. Stanier.

Not exactly my thing, but Not Crap.
Uecker
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: Northbrook, IL

Re: Battles

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Terrible and awful shit.
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
User avatar
Awesome_Komodo
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3608
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Battles

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:32 am

Anyone heard anything more about a new album? I read somewhere it was going to be less samples and computer based stuff... but I could be way off.
Verbs & Nouns
bobcat
bobcat
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Australia, South

Re: Battles

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:04 am

emmanuelle cunt wrote:Saw them on Sunday, had a blast. They seemed to really enjoy it and so did the audience, I wasn't alone in dancing my ass off. Sampled vocals with video screens didn't seem out of place to me at all as they use a lot of loops and samples anyway, maybe even too much, to me it looked like Ian Williams could have actually played more instead of adding a note here and there but mostly just launching samples, but what do I know, maybe it's a necessity because of Ty not being in the band any more. Watching Stainer play is a joy.

Saw them a few years ago. Had a similar experience. This sums up what Battles is about quite nicely and why I say not crap.
User avatar
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:45 am
Location: philly

Re: Battles

Postby Isabelle Gall on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:17 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Anyone heard anything more about a new album? I read somewhere it was going to be less samples and computer based stuff... but I could be way off.

Ian mentioned somewhere they had a deadline to hand the album in for a late 14, early 15 release. I'd imagine it'll be late March now at the earliest. They also played a set of all new material in Krakow recently (see YouTubes) although I haven't listened to any of it.
User avatar
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:35 pm

Re: Battles

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:41 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:
Verbs & Nouns wrote:Anyone heard anything more about a new album? I read somewhere it was going to be less samples and computer based stuff... but I could be way off.

Ian mentioned somewhere they had a deadline to hand the album in for a late 14, early 15 release. I'd imagine it'll be late March now at the earliest. They also played a set of all new material in Krakow recently (see YouTubes) although I haven't listened to any of it.

Thanks.

This sounds pretty cool.

phpBB [media]
Verbs & Nouns
bobcat
bobcat
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Australia, South

Re: Battles

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:46 am

A friend texted me about this tonight...

phpBB [media]


Which led to the discovery of this...

phpBB [media]


Never thought I'd see Battles advertising food.
Verbs & Nouns
bobcat
bobcat
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Australia, South

Re: Battles

Postby mackro on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:50 am

^^^^^ hahhaahahahahah
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
User avatar
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:06 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Battles

Postby mattw on Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:09 pm

And that's not the only one, either!

phpBB [media]


I like Battles, particularly the Gloss Drop album. Ian Williams is a damn wizard with the guitar...
User avatar
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3771
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:28 pm
Location: En la casa de tu madre

Re: Battles

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:41 am

For those that care

phpBB [media]
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10362
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: Battles

Postby matthew on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:44 pm

Gramsci wrote:For those that care

phpBB [media]


"I can't imagine not playing to a loop anymore"

Those words just made me lose faith in them as a band.

BTW, the drummer doesn't look very free as a drummer in that video.....he looks like he's a slave to the electronic loop.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
User avatar
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3503
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Gens non sancta.

Re: Battles

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:37 pm

matthew wrote:
Gramsci wrote:For those that care

phpBB [media]


"I can't imagine not playing to a loop anymore"

Those words just made me lose faith in them as a band.

BTW, the drummer doesn't look very free as a drummer in that video.....he looks like he's a slave to the electronic loop.


That's kind of their whole thing, though... The loops. It's what they do. Seems needless to lose faith at the realization their whole deal is based entirely on loops... Did you like them before you found this out? If so, how does the knowledge of the looping change this in any fundamental way?

I quite like what they do. I appreciate the lack of shame in their embrace of technology. I am suspicious of the automatic emotional association that musical credibility must come at the expense of engaging with accessible and irreversible technological advances.
User avatar
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
the white ho
the white ho
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:22 pm
Location: Out beyond the dune sea

Re: Battles

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:09 pm

DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE wrote: I am suspicious of the automatic emotional association that musical credibility must come at the expense of engaging with accessible and irreversible technological advances.

There's an entire generation of music listeners, maybe two, who don't give a shit about this, so you got nothing to worry about.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8805
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Battles

Postby Gramsci on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:00 pm

matthew wrote:
Gramsci wrote:For those that care

phpBB [media]


"I can't imagine not playing to a loop anymore"

Those words just made me lose faith in them as a band.

BTW, the drummer doesn't look very free as a drummer in that video.....he looks like he's a slave to the electronic loop.


Well... ironically, like in architecture/design, sometimes the limitations open up more freedom...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10362
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: Battles

Postby morespaceecho on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:07 pm

yeah. drumming to loops can indeed be liberating in a way. i personally hate having to do it live, but for recording it can be cool.

i'm not super into battles but i enjoyed that vid. also, machines with magnets is a great studio, and keith and seth are cool guys.
morespaceecho
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:49 pm

Re: Battles

Postby jurgis rudkus on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:09 pm

DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE wrote:I appreciate the lack of shame in their embrace of technology. I am suspicious of the automatic emotional association that musical credibility must come at the expense of engaging with accessible and irreversible technological advances.


It's more the sponsorship what queers it for me.

Slick promo, Ableton.


C'mon, bttls.
Honk If You Demand Satisfaction

There is an epidemic of people being 'offended' by things as some kind of hobby.
- Mark Kozelek
User avatar
jurgis rudkus
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4118
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:16 pm
Location: MKE

Re: Battles

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:13 pm

I listened to the alternative rock station for an hour or two yesterday.

What I heard was a bunch of young musicians "engaging with accessible and irreversible technological advances" in a desperate attempt to sound like that band Animotion, who had a hit song 30 years ago.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8805
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: Portland, OR

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], sulfur)addict, Twilight Sparkle and 14 guests