Nomeansno?

CRAP
9%
NOT CRAP
91%

Total votes : 161

Re: Band: Nomeansno

Postby 154 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:55 pm

I haven't regularly listened to them in at least 10 years and they haven't been doing much anyway, but Salut! Nomeansno. I owe a lot to that band.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Boombats on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Fuck. I hoped I could see them live one day, but they never made it to the East Coast. Best band ever. NC
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby givemenoughrope on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:23 pm

Bummer. Saw them a few times. Once when I was 16 and it killed me. Incredible band...up there with the best. I figured they would have Lemmy'ed out. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of them somehow.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby chumpchange on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:26 pm

Having grown up in Edmonton, Alberta, one province east of their hometown of Victoria, BC, I had the good fortune to see them frequently beginning in 1986, around the time of Sex Mad. Around the same time I was DJing at the U of A radio station CJSR where I met a fellow DJ, Tom Holliston. Of course, being from Victoria, he knew the band and was a big fan. Tom was still in Edmonton, working at a restaurant, when I moved to Vancouver in 1988. I had heard that he eventually moved back to Victoria so it did not surprise me too much when Tom replaced Andy Kerr five years later. Although Tom is a terrific fellow, the Andy Kerr era of Nomeansno blew my mind many times and I hold those memories fondly.

Not crap in any way. One of the greatest bands of our times.
chumpchange
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby mackro on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:42 am

Posted yesterday on the nomeanswhatever forum by long time merch/roadie/confidante John C.
http://www.nomeanswhatever.com/forum2/v ... f=1&t=6587

so yes, it is official that NoMeansNo is retired (not broken up, not on hiatus). As I mentioned in the other thread, Rob is now a very happy stay at home dad for his two kids and genuinely happy with this new-ish phase of his life.

John posted the official announcement on Facebook yesterday after sending a group email to some of the various friends of the band. John is still going to be playing music, working on projects and seeing what fun there is to be had out there, especially since his two kids are older and in fact, his oldest is already graduated from high school. You have not heard the last of John

In the coming days, whenever I feel like taking on the little housecleaning, I will reduce nomeanswhatever to just this forum and keep it going.

But I will say that while I'm happy for Rob that he gets this phase in his life, I will also miss the experiences I was lucky enough to have because of them. Obviously I've met a good chunk you guys because of that band and I'm truly fortunate because of it.

Meanwhile:
https://youtu.be/iMrHBSA40TY

Tom announced he was retiring from the band a month ago on the forum. So this wasn't really a surprise.

As far as bands ending, this is certainly a nicer way to do it. Salut! Been a fan since 1989. Saw them over 20 times. I can't complain.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby enframed on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:20 am

Boombats wrote:Fuck. I hoped I could see them live one day, but they never made it to the East Coast.

What?
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby blackmarket on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:27 am

We can always hold out hope for the sporadic Hanson Brothers show. I am glad I was able to see them twice on the tour they did in 2008. I have seen Nomeansno many times over the years, but I have to admit the last time they played Chicago (2009?), things felt not as they once were. Maybe it was the venue (Reggies), maybe it was the crowd. I don't know. I didn't feel it then. I remember that last album as being pretty weak. Nomeansno will always be in my top ten. On their worst night, they still play better than most assholes half their age.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Andrew. on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:51 am

I wasn't into the last couple albums, but they were still doing exactly what they wanted and trying to expand in different directions. Growing up in western Canada/Edmonton I probably saw them more than any other touring band, though I'm too young to have caught the Kerr era live. The all-ages shows I went to in the early to mid 90s were transcendent.

Completely uncompromising, fiercely unpretentious and goofy, and a musical juggernaut with no real peers. I think it's great that they retired quietly, with no big Final Tour, because Rob's being a a stay-at-home dad in his 60s.

They got inducted into the "Western Canadian Music Hall of Fame" joining the ranks of Trooper and Loverboy a couple years ago. Guess they were like, Cool, done here.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Parbuckle on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:15 pm

enframed wrote:
Boombats wrote:Fuck. I hoped I could see them live one day, but they never made it to the East Coast.

What?

Yeah, that can't be right, can it? They made it over to Europe often enough.

NoMeansNo is retired (not broken up, not on hiatus).

Nicely phrased. The right way to do it. (A little dig at Fugazi perhaps? Probably not.)

Andrew. wrote:They got inducted into the "Western Canadian Music Hall of Fame" joining the ranks of Trooper and Loverboy a couple years ago. Guess they were like, Cool, done here.

:D
bishopdante wrote:It's a lobster push lobster world out there.
Parbuckle
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby J. Burns on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:36 pm

I'm a casual fan at most, but I still feel very fortunate to have seen them live 3-4 times.

They did it their way. Salut.
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby J_Temperance on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Dayyum, this just reminds me that I've yet to get some Nomeansno albums into the collection. RIP, at least they came out on top...
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby tupelo moan on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:56 pm

The greatest of all time.

Was fortunate to catch them a few times over the years. Special shout-out to a show they played at an old cinema house (which probably doesn't exist anymore) in Katowice, Poland, with a very inebriated and energetic crowd.
tupelo moan
alderman
alderman

Postby Parbuckle on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:32 pm

tupelo moan wrote:Special shout-out to a show they played ... in Katowice, Poland, with a very inebriated and energetic crowd.

Their shows in London in recent years seemed to be full of inebriated and energetic (at least at until they passed out) Poles as well. Made a nice change from all those buttoned-down Belgians you get at Shellac shows. :wink:
bishopdante wrote:It's a lobster push lobster world out there.
Parbuckle
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap