Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Band:The Eagles

Crap
86%
Not Crap
14%

Total votes : 114

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:07 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:I've been spending the last five minutes staring out the window and trying to decide who is worse: the Eagles or the Steve Miller Band?

Point in favor of the Eagles: Steve Miller had the annoying tendency to write songs in which the lyrics in the chorus had nothing to do with the lyrics in the verses.

Point in Steve Miller's favor: He didn't write "I Can't Tell You Why."

"Jet Airliner," "Rock 'n' Me," and "Take the Money and Run" (maybe even "Jungle Love") are pleasantly workmanlike radio ups. This cannot be said of anything The Eagles ever did. Besides, I'll take an amiable pot-smoking goofball over insanely wealthy coked-out misogynists any day.

I'm not in the business of defending Steve Miller, but he doesn't deserve to be lumped in with The Eagles. Nobody does--except maybe Billy Joel.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:08 pm

kerble wrote:[zom-zom]'s a fucking pussy that doesn't like rock, apparently.

No, he likes The Who, so he is automatically an authority on all things rock. You know, like The Eagles.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby zom-zom on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:18 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:
kerble wrote:zom-zom's a fucking pussy that doesn't like rock, apparently.

No, he likes The Who, so he is automatically an authority on all things rock. You know, like The Eagles.

Right on, beardo! Now you're starting to understand what Rock 'n Roll is all about.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby John C3 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:19 pm

I don't care for the Eagles, but I don't have the hatred that many American posters have. Perhaps they were ground into you as you were growing up. For me, growing up, there was this Hotel California song, and anything else by them you only knew if you knew someone who was 'into' The Eagles. I can't say anything else I've heard has made me like or dislike them; I just haven't cared for it. It would be easy to vote crap on that account, but then I've heard the odd thing by Joe Walsh by accident - like that 'In The City' song at the closing credits of The Warriors - that has made me wonder. I've never been drawn to them, I've never been particularly repelled.

The Eagles: so fuck?
John C3
beng
beng

Postby m.koren on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:40 pm

John C3 wrote:I don't care for the Eagles, but I don't have the hatred that many American posters have. Perhaps they were ground into you as you were growing up. For me, growing up, there was this Hotel California song, and anything else by them you only knew if you knew someone who was 'into' The Eagles. I can't say anything else I've heard has made me like or dislike them; I just haven't cared for it. It would be easy to vote crap on that account, but then I've heard the odd thing by Joe Walsh by accident - like that 'In The City' song at the closing credits of The Warriors - that has made me wonder. I've never been drawn to them, I've never been particularly repelled.

The Eagles: so fuck?

Glenn Fry's 'Smugglers Blues' . Priceless.
amelia wrote: You are not supposed to respond to me
m.koren
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Boombats on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:04 pm

Fuckin' bullshit.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby vockins on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:04 pm

Steve Miller sucks horse knob, but he did play an Iceman, so that's something.

Billy Joel sucks horse knob, but I like "Allentown." Except for the turn around into the verse. Ugh.

The Eagles are fucking horrible. I think only 311 is worse.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:32 pm

The Eagles have some redeeming qualities. I'm pretty sure that they were arbitrarily picked as "worst band ever" at some point because of their incredible popularity and record sales.

They must have a good sense of humor to let themselves get dissed by "The Dude." They had an incredible ability to harmonize with one another...there's practically no bands like that anymore. I'm pretty sure they also had a penchant for only choosing venues with beautiful acoustics (but I might have heard that from my mom...not a good source). They took Tom Waits' "Ol' 55." I don't think they wrote a whole lot of their own songs though...at least not at first (I don't really know their history/evolution that well though...but who on this board would???).

If I found an Eagles record for some reason in a record store for like 99 cents...and nobody knew who they were, I'll bet a lot of posters in my imaginary position would be singing a different tune about the damn Eagles.

Stuff that is obviously way worse than the Eagles (that still sorta qualifies as "rock" music):

- Dave Matthews Band is just so, so terrible and boring.
- "Nü Metal"
- Faux punk
- "Nü" Country
- There's tons of Pitchfork-type stuff I would prefer the Eagles to.
- I was gonna say Coldplay, but Coldplay is better than the Eagles now that I think about it.

- I'm sure I could think of a lot of corporate rock behemoths that I dislike more than the Eagles, but frankly, I don't think about that sorta thing often enough.

To me, the Eagles are just another facet in the global puzzle of faceless corporate CRAP. In fact, I think we could do (and have done) a lot worse than the Eagles.

They're just so sterile...especially that reunion stuff.

As punk rockers, I think we're more required to hate the Eagles than anything else...I don't listen to them enough to have a truly fair opinion. I still say CRAP, but maybe someday I'll be singing a different tune...doubtful...

In any case...the tune will probably not be "Hotel California."
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: Band: The Eagles

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:
placeholder wrote:[The Eagles are] still a tiny fraction less bad than Aerosmith. Aerosmith are the only band the Eagles are less bad than.

Absolutely and 100% wrong!

Aerosmith recorded "Rocks". This album is incredible. "Rocks" can be rightfully considered to be among the best rock music albums ever made.

Aerosmith also recorded "Toys In The Attic". This album is pretty good!

Outside of those two albums, Aerosmith has also released a number of singles/album tracks that are good.

placeholder! You really hate Aerosmith! This is okay!

But they are much better than The Eagulls!

True!

Aerosmith is great. Well, they were for a time.
Minotaur029

Postby rocker654 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Minotaur029 wrote:As punk rockers, I think we're more required to hate the Eagles than anything else.

Bullshit detect on High Alert!

Where's the Punk Rock rulebook, sonny? Is there a training course or certificaton that needs to be completed?
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:02 pm

Joke alert!

What the hell is wrong with you?

Are the Eagles universally hated on this board? Is it chock full of punk rockers? Yes. The 5 NCs are almost certainly in jest...anyone who would actually seriously defend the Eagles would come under immediate suspicion...maybe even ostracization, no?

Your "bullshit alarm" is my confirmation that you are the rare "complete asshole" on this board. By my count there's approximately 15 of these out of like 6000(?)*.

Was it you that "fought" with Steve over the "inner workings" of the music industry and entertainment lawyers' role in that industry? Sorry to bring that up.

Anyway, kudos.

*How many fairly regular posters are on this board? Any guesses/actual knowledge?
Minotaur029

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:22 pm

Also,

rocker654 wrote:certificaton

that.
Minotaur029

Postby Pure L on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:00 pm

The Eagles stand for something crappy that I can't put my finger on............

I would never, ever put an Eagles recording on deliberately.

However, when Hotel California comes on the radio......guess who's listening? ME!

(I even turn that shit up when it gets to those harmonized solos at the end!!)
Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby m.koren on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:34 pm

Pure L wrote:The Eagles stand for something crappy that I can't put my finger on............

However, when Hotel California comes on the radio......guess who's listening? ME!

+ 1. It kicks 'Freebird's' ass all over town.

P.S. would you please sign my Ronnettes single Mr. Spector ?
m.koren

Postby kerble on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:37 pm

m.koren wrote:
Pure L wrote:...Hotel California...

as long as you're setting the bar low...
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:43 pm

m.koren wrote:
Pure L wrote:The Eagles stand for something crappy that I can't put my finger on............

Only if the town you live in is Pussyville.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby m.koren on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:46 pm

m.koren wrote:

m.koren

Postby m.koren on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:53 pm

m.koren wrote:

m.koren

Postby alex maiolo on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:55 pm

I hate Hotel California.
The song sucks. Sure the gee-tar playing is all hotshot and shit, but that song is some of the worst pseudo-mystical, melodramatic, California-in-the-70's-in-a-nutshell bullshit ever to be played on the radio.

It's my understanding that they cranked it out in very little time. They also released one of the top ten best selling records of all time (Greatest Hits vol. 1) so to say that these lame-asses got a little lucky more than once is an understatement.

If I had to give them props for anything it would be for sabotaging their own song and still getting a hit out of it. In One Of These Nights, throughout each verse, there is a guitar going "rreeeeOOWWNN" every four beats.
What the fuck is that?
People still ate it up. Then with the Frankie Valli choruses. I guess cocaine makes everything sound better.

And Witchy Woman blows. What a stupid song.

I don't hate the Eagles because it was required once I decided punk rock was for me in my teens, I hate them because they were bland, bland, bland bullshit.

-A

EDIT: Eagles Greatest Hits vol. 1 is THE greatest selling album of all time. Still. Hotel Ca. is in the top 10.
This is proof that god is a cruel god.
Last edited by alex maiolo on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Postby alpha80 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:57 pm

zom-zom wrote:I like some The Eagles songs. So do you. You just won't admit it. You sing along to Take It Easy. You like to imagine yourself driving down some lonesome Arizona highway in your pickup, a doobie in one hand and an open beer in your drink-holder.
WTF :shock:
OMFG you like "Take It Easy" THAT much....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That song is cheezy upbeat EMO country. Extra awful.
...and I LOVE that era of music. Love it.
alpha80
thomas paine
thomas paine

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap