Nutball: Neil Young

Crap
7%
Not Crap
93%

Total votes : 326

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:00 am

Angus Jung wrote:This is Neil being Neil, unfortunately. Classic move. He has always been incredibly inconsistent politically, to the point where it just seems bizarre and arbitrary.

Yep. This just about covers it.

I mean, Young supported Reagan in the '80's. The man's politics have always been weird and spotty.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby NewDarkAge on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:58 am

holmes wrote:
NewDarkAge wrote:
holmes wrote:I just saw neil young live. It was complete shit.

?

Charges £69 and fucks off a full half an hour earlier than he could of = bullshit (not that I'm a stupid enough cunt to have paid that). What a dick!

Tommy Alpha wrote:

This post, not so much.

Sorry if I don't like to waffle, but it really was. If you were there, you just had the piss taken out of you at a complete failure of a gig. Perhaps you are so blindly devoted as to forget that a financial exchange happens at gigs? a LARGE amount of people at that show paid £69 for shit sound and a shit performance. One of the worst gigs I have ever seen. Tired, bored, lackluster and weak - perhaps I have expanded enough for you now? Were you there? If you weren't, shut the fuck up. That show wasn't even worth a tenner.

Tom and I were both there, and we both loved it. It was exactly as I'd hoped it would be. He played a bunch of my favourites, he sounded great, Poncho had a huge smile on his face the whole time, I got to see one of the top one electric guitar players there is. Just a great time. You seem to go to NY & Crazy Horse shows and complain that they're NY & Crazy Horse shows. I mean, lacklustre?

You really are a miserable dude a lot of the time, Sam.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby NewDarkAge on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:13 am

Btw, dudes, the Tel Aviv show has been cancelled.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge

Postby Tommy Alpha on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:37 am

holmes wrote:
NewDarkAge wrote:

?

Charges £69 and fucks off a full half an hour earlier than he could of = bullshit (not that I'm a stupid enough cunt to have paid that). What a dick!

Tommy Alpha wrote:

This post, not so much.

Sorry if I don't like to waffle, but it really was. If you were there, you just had the piss taken out of you at a complete failure of a gig. Perhaps you are so blindly devoted as to forget that a financial exchange happens at gigs? a LARGE amount of people at that show paid £69 for shit sound and a shit performance. One of the worst gigs I have ever seen. Tired, bored, lackluster and weak - perhaps I have expanded enough for you now? Were you there? If you weren't, shut the fuck up. That show wasn't even worth a tenner.

Waffle away! Sorry for the pop, but you set yourself up there. I was there, so wind it in a bit, eh Sam?

I didn't pay full price and it was a bit of a last minute thing, but it sounded really good right up the front. His guitar sounded fucking good and the harmonies hit right. It wasn't lacklustre, but its a massively corporate show. Its LCD Neil Young playing for the widest crowd possible for Barclays Bank. Also, he's been playing for 40 odd years. Its a job. He turns up and does it. He did that an did it well. I think the problem here is your expectations and not the show.

It was grossly overpriced though. Barclays should be pitting it on for free. Then again, everything is grossly overpriced at the moment (maybe barring DIY shows). Thats an argument for a different thread.

There were a lot of people who payed £2.50 a ticket. I think the venn diagram between those guys and the dick holes in the crowd is a fucking circle.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Tommy Alpha on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:53 am

NewDarkAge wrote:You really are a miserable dude a lot of the time, Sam.

He's lovely in real live though. Get him talking about Steely Dan- I've never seen someone so happy!
Tommy Alpha

Postby holmes on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:23 am

Tommy Alpha wrote:
holmes wrote:
NewDarkAge wrote:

?

Tommy Alpha wrote:

This post, not so much.

Waffle away! Sorry for the pop, but you set yourself up there. I was there, so wind it in a bit, eh Sam?

I didn't pay full price and it was a bit of a last minute thing, but it sounded really good right up the front. His guitar sounded fucking good and the harmonies hit right. It wasn't lacklustre, but its a massively corporate show. Its LCD Neil Young playing for the widest crowd possible for Barclays Bank. Also, he's been playing for 40 odd years. Its a job. He turns up and does it. He did that an did it well. I think the problem here is your expectations and not the show.

It was grossly overpriced though. Barclays should be pitting it on for free. Then again, everything is grossly overpriced at the moment (maybe barring DIY shows). Thats an argument for a different thread.

There were a lot of people who payed £2.50 a ticket. I think the venn diagram between those guys and the dick holes in the crowd is a fucking circle.

I'm sorry Tom for coming off as churlish in my reply earlier and I agree with many points in your post. But I think that gig was gross. I am fully aware that this is dodgy ground and a sensitive thing to be expressing an opinion on but It's something that winds me up massively. I don't think you can look at a gig like that as innocently as you are here - he showed up and did a job doesn't quite cut it when you have gone into a situation like that. They didn't just accidentally show up at that massive shitty place, they would have been told before hand about the set up. They would have known about the offensive ticket prices, the volume restrictions, the utter horror of the surroundings. Of course peoples expectations are going to be high when they part with vast sums of money, it's just how it is. But high expectations and unrealistic expectations are two very different things. I didn't wonder in there with high expectations, I wondered in there with fucking low expectations actually - I don't expect the greatest hits with Neil. I just wanted a good gig. I didn't get one. This happens though sometimes it's just how it is - it really is the financial aspect that fucks me off the most. If I'd known how much many of the crowd had paid, I would have stepped up my game in that situation - he wasn't there by chance, he knew what was going on. It's a huge sum of money.

I'm sure that if I was down the front it would have been better, but I was with my Dad whose back is completely fucked with arthritis and he has trouble standing. We weren't that far back though.
Last edited by holmes on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby holmes on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:26 am

Tommy Alpha wrote:
NewDarkAge wrote:You really are a miserable dude a lot of the time, Sam.

He's lovely in real live though. Get him talking about Steely Dan- I've never seen someone so happy!

I'm really not a miserable dude, Sam, I'm pretty ok in lots of ways. It's shit if I have come across as miserable. But live music though - it's subject I hold very dear to my heart, and I feel bad for the people that spend vast amounts of money to see sub-par shows. I have explained myself in the previous post, but it's just not cricket. Anyway, whatever. I'm not going to start shooting people in the streets or anything. YET.
Last edited by holmes on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes

Postby Tommy Alpha on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:41 am

We all good, babs! And I can totally get your point.

Its a gross situation to see any band and at a complete counterpoint to everything I think is wonderful about music. But I do think he put on a great show, its just anything gets diluted if put through a big PA and onto massive screens and projected across a park. And I dont think its dodgy ground. Big business' involvment in music is always gross and totally needs addressing. And this is no defence of Neil Young at all, but I doubt he cares howuch people pay or for the most part what the gig is for- see the discussion about Israel here. But I think the cold reality is this is a Neil Young show in 2014. He turns up and plays and its as good as that old man feels on a particular day.

I had a great time, but I can see why you didn't.
Tommy Alpha

Postby Gramsci on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:57 am

NewDarkAge wrote:Btw, dudes, the Tel Aviv show has been cancelled.

But not for the reason many were hoping for:

“The cancelation is due to the barrage of rockets that have been fired in recent days and the concern for the safety of an audience for such an event,”

http://www.jpost.com/arts-and-culture/m ... viv-362551
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby numberthirty on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:23 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:This is Neil being Neil, unfortunately. Classic move. He has always been incredibly inconsistent politically, to the point where it just seems bizarre and arbitrary.

Yep. This just about covers it.

I mean, Young supported Reagan in the '80's. The man's politics have always been weird and spotty.

There's also the fact that he was initially for The Patriot Act.

Dude is known to slip.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby hench on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:43 pm

holy crap! tickets for this went on sale this morning and are somehow still available. i just bought one. now i have to figure out how in the hell to get from l.a. to neligh, nebraska.

hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby eephour on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:41 am

Looks like it's about 2.5 hours outside of Lincoln. I'd love to go.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby agiant on Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:23 am

Waging Heavy Peace is one of the most boring books I've ever read... I'm in Chapter 10, and I think that I'm going to give up.
blah
agiant
godot
godot

Postby matthew on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 am

I heard he's dating Darryl Hannah. The end must be near....
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Jodi S. on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:31 pm

matthew wrote:I heard he's dating Darryl Hannah. The end must be near....

Yeah, because dating someone is going to radically change what makes Neil Young Neil Young.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Human Highway to be re-released next year.

phpBB [media]
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2

Postby scott on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:34 pm

$5 says he is overcome with disappointment and breaks up with her as soon as he realizes she isn't actually a mermaid.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Dr. Ew on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:27 am

scott wrote:

$5 says he is overcome with disappointment and breaks up with her as soon as he realizes she isn't actually a mermaid.

[hack joke]A Man Needs A Mermaid.[/hack joke]
Dr. Ew
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby finkystinger on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:28 pm

The book was awful. I love him and I didn't make it very far. But it's illuminating. His songwriting started to suck coincidentally when he stopped smoking reefer. He can still play the shit out of his old stuff, thankfully.

Also: the Archives project. I think Briggs or someone needs to cut him out of the process. The work they've done has been great -- the sound on the remasters is great, and they've put together some awesome unheard material, especially on the big 10-disc box. But he's fiddling around releasing largely redundant archival live sets (which are still lovely) instead of working on the next big decade box. Which has the potential to be amazing.
finkystinger
viceroy
viceroy

Postby eephour on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:35 pm

hench wrote:holy crap! tickets for this went on sale this morning and are somehow still available. i just bought one. now i have to figure out how in the hell to get from l.a. to neligh, nebraska.

Dude, did you go?? How was it?
eephour

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap