Nutball: Neil Young

Crap
7%
Not Crap
93%

Total votes : 326

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby m3kcomp on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:33 am

finkystinger wrote:Also: the Archives project. I think Briggs or someone needs to cut him out of the process...

Be nice if Briggs could have had a say on any number of Neil's moves after the day Briggs died.

I couldn't make it through the book either, even though I had been really looking forward to it.
m3kcomp
gallagher
gallagher

Postby finkystinger on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:49 pm

m3kcomp wrote:
finkystinger wrote:Also: the Archives project. I think Briggs or someone needs to cut him out of the process...

Be nice if Briggs could have had a say on any number of Neil's moves after the day Briggs died.

Ah, heh. Right. I mean uh... the other guy. Ben Keith. JK. There has to be someone else?!
finkystinger
viceroy
viceroy

Postby hench on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:04 pm

eephour wrote:
hench wrote:holy crap! tickets for this went on sale this morning and are somehow still available. i just bought one. now i have to figure out how in the hell to get from l.a. to neligh, nebraska.

Dude, did you go?? How was it?

i sure did! it was pretty dang great... drove about 2.5 hours west of omaha, like some serious gravel road and no-cell-service-for-100-miles rural times. the "venue" was literally someone's farm, with the stage and seating on grass, parking in a harvested corn field. surrounded by corn yet to be harvested, tall man high.

got there around 9:20, gate was 10:15 or so. stood in line and listened to a sound check of "like a hurricane." frickin' ace way to start the morning. attendance was capped at 8,000 or so -- really big in the context of where we were (on the outskirts of a town with around 1,500 people), but nothing compared to the 20,000 people that i saw ny & crazy horse with at the hollywood bowl a couple years back. most of the people there were locals and/or folks that are directly affected by keystone xl. the folks we talked with in line were pretty flabbergasted that i'd flown in from l.a. and my parents had flown in from florida. i suppose that is a little out of the ordinary...

as for the show itself, we were roughly fifteen orderly, midwestern lawnchair rows from the stage, dead center with the soundboard. neil young came out while willie nelson was playing with his sons' band -- the whole gang did a cover of "this land is your land." willie and sons left, neil left, some speechifying occurred, etc.

neil came back out - solo acoustic guitar + harmonica, opens with "comes a time." puts down the guitar, goes to the pump organ for "mother earth." back to the solo acoustic for "heart of gold" and "pocahontas." i tell you what, that's been one of my favorite songs since i was about fourteen. to hear it like that, in a cornfield, under the blue sky... just frickin' phenomenal. devastating.

rest of the set was electric, with willie's sons' band serving as a passable crazy horse backup. "country home" -> "mansion on the hill" -> "homegrown" -> "down by the river" -> "who's gonna stand up?".... "down by the river" was for sure the standout of this section, and i wish i would've taped it instead of "country home," but i'm sure it's all on youtube anyhow. there was an upright piano on stage and i'd hoped for "after the gold rush," but no such luck. still, absolutely dynamite.

drove outta the cornfields around 7:15pm and got back to big, bustling omaha by around 10pm. never in my life did i ever expect to see neil young play "pocahontas" in a cornfield in rural nebraska with my 70-year old parents... like, such a strange, magical realism sort of thing, i'm not even sure it fits into top ten concert experiences, even though of course it is...
hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:49 pm

hench wrote:
i sure did! it was pretty dang great... drove about 2.5 hours west of omaha, like some serious gravel road and no-cell-service-for-100-miles rural times. the "venue" was literally someone's farm, with the stage and seating on grass, parking in a harvested corn field. surrounded by corn yet to be harvested, tall man high.

got there around 9:20, gate was 10:15 or so. stood in line and listened to a sound check of "like a hurricane." frickin' ace way to start the morning. attendance was capped at 8,000 or so -- really big in the context of where we were (on the outskirts of a town with around 1,500 people), but nothing compared to the 20,000 people that i saw ny & crazy horse with at the hollywood bowl a couple years back. most of the people there were locals and/or folks that are directly affected by keystone xl. the folks we talked with in line were pretty flabbergasted that i'd flown in from l.a. and my parents had flown in from florida. i suppose that is a little out of the ordinary...

as for the show itself, we were roughly fifteen orderly, midwestern lawnchair rows from the stage, dead center with the soundboard. neil young came out while willie nelson was playing with his sons' band -- the whole gang did a cover of "this land is your land." willie and sons left, neil left, some speechifying occurred, etc.

neil came back out - solo acoustic guitar + harmonica, opens with "comes a time." puts down the guitar, goes to the pump organ for "mother earth." back to the solo acoustic for "heart of gold" and "pocahontas." i tell you what, that's been one of my favorite songs since i was about fourteen. to hear it like that, in a cornfield, under the blue sky... just frickin' phenomenal. devastating.

rest of the set was electric, with willie's sons' band serving as a passable crazy horse backup. "country home" -> "mansion on the hill" -> "homegrown" -> "down by the river" -> "who's gonna stand up?".... "down by the river" was for sure the standout of this section, and i wish i would've taped it instead of "country home," but i'm sure it's all on youtube anyhow. there was an upright piano on stage and i'd hoped for "after the gold rush," but no such luck. still, absolutely dynamite.

drove outta the cornfields around 7:15pm and got back to big, bustling omaha by around 10pm. never in my life did i ever expect to see neil young play "pocahontas" in a cornfield in rural nebraska with my 70-year old parents... like, such a strange, magical realism sort of thing, i'm not even sure it fits into top ten concert experiences, even though of course it is...

Fuck yes, Zach!
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby eephour on Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Soo cool, sounds like a blast! Glad you made it.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Carl on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:50 am

Rick the Bass Player died earlier this month. He played with Young a lot in the late 80s, and filled in on the Crazy Horse tour just this past summer.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Carl on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:32 am

Human Highway is coming to the IFC in New York.
Making its debut at the Mill Valley Film Festival in 1982, with a premiere the next year in Los Angeles, it was never picked up by a studio, which had been the plan. It probably made some new if bewildered fans when it played the South by Southwest festival last month. It opens theatrically — for the first time — on April 17 in New York at the IFC Center, and will anchor a Neil Young film retrospective of movies by or about him. These include Bernard Shakey’s little-seen tour movie “Muddy Tracks”; Jonathan Demme’s “Trunk Show”; and “Solo Trans,” directed by Hal Ashby.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl

Postby Big John on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:59 am

To bad they don't have "Journey through the past". I guess it did get a pretty good theater showing though.
Big John

Postby Teacher's Pet on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:33 pm

Big John wrote:To bad they don't have "Journey through the past". I guess it did get a pretty good theater showing though.

http://www.ifccenter.com/films/journey-through-the-past/

They're showing everything!
Teacher's Pet
cool kid
cool kid

Postby snarff on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:44 pm

YES. MUDDY TRACK.
snarff
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

Postby Jodi S. on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:46 pm

It's playing on a night I can go, so I am happy.

I wish I could catch more of the films, but I'll just have to wait for The Netflix (fingers crossed).
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby J_Temperance on Sat May 21, 2016 6:36 pm

Sooo impossibly NOT CRAP

Decade (along with Animals and Physical Graffiti) was basically responsible for getting me into classic rock back when I was 16 after my gringo history teacher lent me a discwasher that contained said albums along with other choice Neil Young works such as Zuma and After the Gold Rush. Hell of an introduction I might say.

I couldn't be arsed to find out if this was settled, but Neil's influence on indie/alt/postpunk/grunge/whatever you might wanna call it is obvious. He was the first to meld folk/country melodies with crunchy hard rock, pump out as much material as possible with complete disregard to editing and favor simple yet elegant songwriting, spontaneity and luscious tones over technical acumen, it's just that he did it on major label dime back in the 70's. Plus, how many iconic indie/alt bands are Crazy Horse descendents? The guy could (and sometimes still does) create records that, while much simpler, pack as much emotional impact, psychedelia and drama as X overproduced Pink Floyd/Radiohead record.

As much as I think Dylan is the superior lyricist, I'll always be firmly in camp Young mostly because of the latter's melodic knack. The man could fart out a catchy, affecting melody in his sleep. Plus, I actually like his voice and you know, the whole crunchy guitar clusterfuck that is collectively known as Crazy Horse albums.

Been listening to all the albums of his I still hadn't (mostly the ones released after Zuma and not in the 90's). So far I've greatly enjoyed Re-ac-tor (which sounds like all the fun, crunchy Big Star songs in their first 2 albums such as "Mod Lang" and "Don't Lie to Me") and American Stars n' Bars (not a big country fan but this is a prety great album).

J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby travis k on Sun May 22, 2016 12:43 am

I'd be comfortable to guess that I play - "Everybody knows this is nowhere " more than any of my records that I supposedly like more or find to be more important. It simply makes the day go well.
travis k
mathew hopkins
mathew hopkins

Postby zircona1 on Sun May 22, 2016 10:13 pm

I've found it difficult to get into Neil Young's studio work. I've listened to Tonight's the Night and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere and those didn't do anything for me. I liked a few songs on Freedom, I actually have that performance of RITFW from SNL on videotape somewhere, it rules.

I do like Rust Never Sleeps, and I have Mirrorball, though I rarely listen to it.

I saw him live (with his band) a few years back, mostly because, "well, if I get into his work later, I'm gonna regret not seeing him when I had the chance." The show was really good, he played for over 2 hours, and I understood every word that he sang (doesn't he have some kind of special sound system?).

Not crap.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
howard shore
howard shore

Postby J_Temperance on Mon May 23, 2016 1:59 am

zircona1 wrote:I've found it difficult to get into Neil Young's studio work. I've listened to Tonight's the Night and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere and those didn't do anything for me. I liked a few songs on Freedom, I actually have that performance of RITFW from SNL on videotape somewhere, it rules.

I'm gonna do something which I almost never do, especially with artists that are favorites of mine (which Neil is, top 3 dinosaur rock acts for sure) but I'm going to recommend you give Decade a crack. It's a compilation of stuff from his first 10 years as a songwriter or so (his golden age, though he certainly has plenty of good stuff later on) and it pretty much made me a lifelong fan. I fyou like that then you can go on with his albums from the same period but Decade is just perfect, truancy, skylarking-escaping-from-work-and-into-gorgeous-outdoor-location-of-your-choice-drinking-at-10-am music for me
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby rashiedgarrison on Wed May 25, 2016 6:20 am

Hench's review up there is great. Anyone else gone to see him on this tour? I'm at the O2 (horrible venue but hope to wheedle my way to the front) in June.
Cold check it
rashiedgarrison
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the live album he released recently with the Bluenotes? Only just learnt of it. Pretty curious.
Mama Clortho
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:27 am

Not Crap for the music, obviously. He's released a few clunkers, but so has everyone else who maintains or did maintain a career in music for as long as he has (Dylan, Reed, Bowie etc.)

Waffle factor of 1 for the fact that several of his CDs won't copy onto any media player using an operating system more recent than Windows Vista (along with several other Warner Music Group releases), thus forcing me to access illegal filesharing sites as I'm not willing to pay twice for a legal download of a disc I've already bought. And I'm sure as hell not buying a Pono player.
There's two Neil Youngs. Two of them. There's two now.
Heaven is in your beard
president bartlett
president bartlett

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:42 pm

They still sell Pono players?
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby mazacultura on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:They still sell Pono players?

http://www.ponosucks.com/home.html

...Apparently not.
mazacultura
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap