Total votes : 292

Band: Pavement

Postby Bernardo on Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:17 am

Pavement
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby same on Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:50 am

to quote bevis: 'these guys need to try harder. they need to just start over, and like, try this time..., ...let's go get some nachos.' there is some talk of the jesus lizard and dirty bathtubs in there somewhere too, inbetween the elipsis'. god bless mike judge. wait, fuck king of the hill though. that show sucked more than the family guy.
same
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby ironyengine on Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:37 am

I think if Steve Malkmus had been trying, Pavement WOULD have been crap.
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby placeholder on Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:54 am

i've never understood why these guys are revered the way they are. i have friends who swear by this band, so i've been subjected to their records over and over and over. they've written a handful of good songs to be sure, but i think they're grossly overrated, and most of their material just kinda reeks of "look how CLEVER we are!" or "look! look! we like the fall!". and i guess this doesn't matter much, but their cover art always annoys me as well.

CRAP. i don't exactly hate them, but given the choice, i'd rather listen to something else.
placeholder

Pavement = my reason for living during certain years

Postby TheSlack64 on Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:59 am

Pavement is TOTALLY not crap. Whether you like 'em or not, they do a lot of neato stuff. Interesting textures. Pop sensibility (what is that, anyways?)
ha.

But seriously, those songs helped me somehow (to keep me focused or take my mind off shit, or something) when I was going through a rough time a few years ago.

Plus, I get together with cute girlies every so often to watch their DVD. THAT is reason for kudos in and of itself...
TheSlack64
corporal
corporal

i've gone back and forth on this...

Postby cneutron on Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:33 pm

A high waffle factor since their early stuff seems to timeless and the later so substandard, but I ended up on the side of CRAP.

I irrationally disliked them for a long time because of punk rock stupidity, then I rationally liked them for their interesting songs, then I irrationally disliked them for what they had spawned, then I rationally disliked them for not packing it in earlier.

So CRAP, but very important CRAP, and easilly changeable if they had broken up after... saw Wowee Zowee.

-C.
cneutron

Postby Macho Man Angry_Dragon on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:25 am

same wrote:to quote bevis: 'these guys need to try harder. they need to just start over, and like, try this time..., ...let's go get some nachos.' there is some talk of the jesus lizard and dirty bathtubs in there somewhere too, inbetween the elipsis'. god bless mike judge. wait, fuck king of the hill though. that show sucked more than the family guy.

How can you say that The Family Guy sucked? Anyways, Crooked Rain gets the two disc treatment in late September/early October. Supposedly, there is a whole record's worth of stuff that we've "never heard." They said that about Slanted and it amounted to maybe three songs on there that were new to me and that includes the alternate version of Here. Whatever, they got my $20 in the coming weeks.
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." - Jack Handy
Macho Man Angry_Dragon
head intern
head intern

Postby Dylan on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:40 am

placeholder wrote:i've never understood why these guys are revered the way they are. i have friends who swear by this band, so i've been subjected to their records over and over and over. they've written a handful of good songs to be sure, but i think they're grossly overrated, and most of their material just kinda reeks of "look how CLEVER we are!" or "look! look! we like the fall!". and i guess this doesn't matter much, but their cover art always annoys me as well.

CRAP. i don't exactly hate them, but given the choice, i'd rather listen to something else.

Seconded. Except I think it's less than a handful. Two fingers?
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby placeholder on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:49 am

Dylan wrote:Seconded. Except I think it's less than a handful. Two fingers?

That's actually closer to the truth. Guess I was feeling overly judicious that day, since I can't name any Pavement songs I like off the top of my head. I do like The Wedding Present's version of "Box Elder" though.

Also, I recently picked up that Matador compilation DVD, and the two Pavement videos on it are incredibly irritating, just like the songs they're for ("Range Life" and "Cut Your Hair"). I forgot to mention that earlier.
placeholder

Postby junip on Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:02 pm

Pavement is my favoritest band ever. I recognize their lacklusterness and embrace them for it. Spiral's a funny unassuming dude. I named my cat Westy. I love Bob and his effort. I love S.M.'s noodling and hollering. Mark Ibold...well four outta five ain't bad.

NOT CRAP

(though they did get crappy when Steve started trying too hard)

T
junip
peavey
peavey

Postby shagboy on Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:11 pm

best band eva
shagboy
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby skpprn on Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:06 pm

I have tried and I just do not get it.
CRAP.
skpprn
president
president

Postby endofanera on Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:39 pm

Even their suckiness is half-assed.

CRAP.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby stewie on Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:06 pm

To paraphrase David Cross, I would rather listen to the death rattle of my first-born child than listen to Pavement.

CRAP.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:26 pm

I, too, would rather listen to the death rattle of David Cross' first born than listen to Pavement.

And I like Pavement a lot.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby shagboy on Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:18 pm

just out of curiosity, what part of pavement's catalog do you CRAPeople find offensive? all of it? there is huge range from slay tracks (released in 89) to terror twilight (released in 99), in terms of musical and lyrical style and technical production. i love them up to and including 95's wowee zowee
shagboy
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Macho Man Angry_Dragon on Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:40 pm

shagboy wrote:just out of curiosity, what part of pavement's catalog do you CRAPeople find offensive? all of it? there is huge range from slay tracks (released in 89) to terror twilight (released in 99), in terms of musical and lyrical style and technical production. i love them up to and including 95's wowee zowee

Wowee Zowee was definitely the best one. I also like Terror Twilight. One of the b-sides from that Harness Your Hopes has this killer line in it.

" Show me a word that rhymes with Pavement and I'll kill your parents and roat them on a spit." Live Pavement was often substituted for... Silkworm.
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." - Jack Handy
Macho Man Angry_Dragon
head intern
head intern

Postby Into the Void on Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:26 pm

The suckiest sucks to ever suck (after Modest Mouse). CRAP, so CRAP.
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Rog on Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:41 pm

Not Crap.

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:I, too, would rather listen to the death rattle of David Cross' first born

Crap.
Rog

Postby Andrew L. on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:33 pm

I enjoy(ed):

How much Mark E Smith hated them.

The Smashing Pumpkins trashtalk on “Range Life.â€
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Next