Liz Phair: Crap/Not Crap

Crap.
73%
Not Crap.
27%

Total votes : 85

Rock Chick: liz phair

Postby a. james on Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:34 pm

my girlfriend digs her. i'm sure the guys on here with girlfriends will probably say the same thing.

i think she's crap. anyone got any convincing arguments on why she's not crap?
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Re: Rock Chick: liz phair

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:37 pm

that damned fly wrote:my girlfriend digs her. i'm sure the guys on here with girlfriends will probably say the same thing.

i think she's crap. anyone got any convincing arguments on why she's not crap?

She's pretty good looking for a run of the mill standard blonde yuppie woman, that's about it.
Last edited by Marsupialized on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby endofanera on Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:42 pm

that damned fly wrote:i think she's crap. anyone got any convincing arguments on why she's not crap?

Just this:

I like this record. If more bands made records this good, my life would be happier.

I dont expect you to find this argument convincing.

I am not troubled by this.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby John W. on Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:07 pm

If we all ignore her, maybe she'll go away.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Mayfair on Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:13 pm

endofanera wrote:
that damned fly wrote:i think she's crap. anyone got any convincing arguments on why she's not crap?

Just this:

I like this record. If more bands made records this good, my life would be happier.

I don't expect you to find this argument convincing.

I agree totally. This is a great record (two records) full of good songs recorded very well, and I am not always a Brad Wood fan. I like this record. I will not talk you into it. Some people are put off by her for many understandable reasons (her last few records, her odd choice of public persona, etc) but I think she hits the nail on the head on this record. It has been said that it takes 29 years to make your first record and 14 months to make your second... I think this is a good example of that.
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Andrew L. on Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:14 pm

Mayfair wrote:
endofanera wrote:

Just this:

I agree totally. This is a great record (two records) full of good songs recorded very well, and I am not always a Brad Wood fan. I like this record. I will not talk you into it. Some people are put off by her for many understandable reasons (her last few records, her odd choice of public persona, etc) but I think she hits the nail on the head on this record. It has been said that it takes 29 years to make your first record and 14 months to make your second... I think this is a good example of that.

Thirded. Great record.

To the best of my ability I ignore everything else related to this woman however.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby kerble on Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:54 pm

LAD wrote:
Mayfair wrote:
endofanera wrote:

Just this:

Thirded. Great record.

To the best of my ability I ignore everything else related to this woman however.

I'm four it.

I as well am voting Not Crap on the strength of this record outweighing an often lackluster (but usually downright horrid) catalog.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby glynnisjohns on Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:06 pm

Don't know why, But i saw her on the last tour. She was rocking the headgear mic. The whole set was excruciating. Kind of like getting cockpunched With bland rock for an hour and a half.

i find her so attractive in that girl nextdoor, will secretly rock my world.
kind of way. So,not crap. I am a sexist cochino.
glynnisjohns
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby xero on Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:14 am

Why is this Crap/Not Crap entitled "Rock Chick: Liz Phair"? It makes her sound like some sort of scenester groupie, not a musician / songwriter / performer. Or was that the point?

I myself have no opinion on her music. I've never knowingly heard any -- from what I've read about it, it probably holds little interest for me. Maybe I'll give "Exile in Guyville" a listen sometime, but I don't feel any urgency about it. I do think she's pretty, whatever difference that may or may not make.

Maybe I'll start some Crap/Not Crap polls specifically about the appearances of male musicians I find interesting and / or attractive ("Rock Dudes"?), to be voted on only by straight/bi ladies and gay/bi dudes, assuming that there are some here. WE WANNA OBJECTIFY MUSICIANS TOO!!!oneoneone

All right, I just posted to be a crab. So sue me.
xero
utility man
utility man

Postby hellyes!! on Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:35 am

xero wrote:Why is this Crap/Not Crap entitled "Rock Chick: Liz Phair"? It makes her sound like some sort of scenester groupie, not a musician / songwriter / performer.

excellent point! i'm glad someone else said it first.

but, for the subject at hand...i will vote CRAP!
hellyes!!
erik seidel
erik seidel

Postby a. james on Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:09 am

xero wrote:Why is this Crap/Not Crap entitled "Rock Chick: Liz Phair"?

spite.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james

Postby Charlie D on Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:06 pm

xero wrote:All right, I just posted to be a crab. So sue me.

Expect a call from my lawyer.
Charlie D
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Location: Whittier Neighborhood, Powderhorn Community, Minneapolis, MN

Postby Lazybones on Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:00 pm

Some people want to be objectified.

"As your attorney, I advise you to vote crap against the rock chick."
Lazybones
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:39 pm

glynnisjohns wrote:Don't know why, But i saw her on the last tour. She was rocking the headgear mic. The whole set was excruciating. Kind of like getting cockpunched With bland rock for an hour and a half.

My wife and I saw Liz Phair on her last tour, too.

Even if my wife and I someday started cheating on each other, stealing/hiding assets, physically assaulting each other, and descending into a general level of hatred toward anything associated with the other person, we would still completely agree that this was the worst musical performance that any person could ever possibly witness.

I'm not sure who should be more embarrassed -- Liz Phair for that "performance" or my wife and I for enduring it as long as we did.

But I like "Fuck & Run"!
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby vockins on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:00 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:this was the worst musical performance that any person could ever possibly witness.
The worst? This is a bold statement. I don't think I could name the worst show I have ever seen. There's a few in the running.

I don't doubt your judgement, and I am 100% behind the opinion that her latest releases are thoroughly dogshit, but I demand more information. Was it just the songs (other than that, mrs. lincoln...) or were there other elements?

We all could learn a lot from your analysis.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:09 pm

vockins wrote:
Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:this was the worst musical performance that any person could ever possibly witness.
The worst? This is a bold statement. I don't think I could name the worst show I have ever seen. There's a few in the running.

I don't doubt your judgement, and I am 100% behind the opinion that her latest releases are thoroughly dogshit, but I demand more information. Was it just the songs (other than that, mrs. lincoln...) or were there other elements?

We all could learn a lot from your analysis.

I will speak with my wife and compile our notes. I want you to feel our combined pain and shame. I might even have to get some props and do some reenactments to capture on film.

vockins, this was The Worst Show Ever. As it happened, we knew it immediately, and we have never wavered from this opinion.

vockins.

Let me say it wrong. I don't care.

vockins.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby hench on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:25 pm

yuck. though it was kind of enjoyable when that blowjob song got quoted to me at a second-rate italian restaurant.
hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby vockins on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:27 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:I will speak with my wife and compile our notes. I want you to feel our combined pain and shame. I might even have to get some props and do some reenactments to capture on film.

vockins, this was The Worst Show Ever. As it happened, we knew it immediately, and we have never wavered from this opinion.
This is important work that you and your wife are going to undertake. A lot of people spend a lot of time dissecting the good, but the bad is often neglected.

Hitler gets a lot coverage, though. I think Hitler's the exception.

vockins.

Let me say it wrong. I don't care.

vockins.
My Carl Everett offer still stands.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby bumble on Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:01 pm

While I love that Exile in Guyville album, I don't know if I can forgive her for her later stuff. It's just that honkin' godforsakenly awful.

I don't know. I just can't quite bring myself to forgive her.

CRAP with an asterisk to mark the exception*.

*I still listen to and love Exile in Guyville, you know.
bumble

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:20 pm

I too, have a soft spot for Exile in Guyville. Guess it had more staying power than many would have anticipated.
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap