Suicide?

crap
60%
not crap
40%

Total votes : 124

Act: Suicide

Postby Into the Void on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:36 pm

If you have no hope that things will ever get better, and are simply tired of dealing with the emotional/physical pain you may be going through, is it "wrong" to kill yourself? Obviously, it is terrible for your family and friends...but it seems silly to be in pain but to continue living just so someone else won't be hurt. This poll covers everything from your normal depressive pills/vodka/bag over your head for a chaser to assisted suicide for the elderly.
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby giallobelly on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:42 pm

I suppose it all depends; ultimately it's body politics.

Certainly those who suffer should be allowed mercy and dignity, but I have a much different feeling towards the mentally ill offing themselves. Life sucks but there's always something to open your eyes up to awesomeness, you just need to look. Look at a pug dog. Why not live the same world?
giallobelly
courtesan
courtesan

Postby bumble on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:51 pm

This is silly.

Someone who is terminally ill making a lucid, informed decision could not be more different from someone with suicidal depression.

You can not lump those two events together in C/NC. Waffle factors don't even approach making up for the conflation.
bumble
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:56 pm

I understand everyone has their own life to live and must make their own decsions but it just seems stupid.
I mean, shit changes. Fast. I mean, when life is on a downswing just wait awhile and ride it out and it'll upswing eventually.
There are always ups and downs in life, always. That's why the ups feel so good. If it was always good, you wouldn't even notice it was good. The fact you've hit bottom makes the top even sweeter when you find yourself there, and you will eventually.
Plus the one line I think is cool in that bible people are always waving around 'The man who has lost everything, is truly free'
That line really sticks with me. It's good shit.
Lost the job, the girlfriend, the band, the apartment?
Now you don't have to worry about any of that shit.
But when it comes down to it, it's a personal thing. I can see where it seems like the thing to do, depression is very powerful.
It's a shit thing to do to people who like you and like having you around, but it's part of life.
Old people who have had enough? Sick people who have had enough?fuck you if you say 'No! I refuse to let you have peace'
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby giallobelly on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:05 pm

Sadness shouldn't be terminal.
Last edited by giallobelly on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giallobelly
courtesan
courtesan

Postby giallobelly on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:06 pm

Life is tiring but good!
giallobelly
courtesan
courtesan

Postby full point on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Suicide is for asshole cowards or the terminally ill.

Period.
full point
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:09 pm

giallobelly wrote:Sadness shouldn't be terminal.

That's a horrible album title
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby giallobelly on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:10 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
giallobelly wrote:Sadness shouldn't be terminal.

That's a horrible album title

It's the latest Coldplay record.
giallobelly
courtesan
courtesan

Postby ben on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:11 pm

since none of us has sucessfully committed suicide it seems to make it hard to comment on it. it's like saying that pot should be illegal when you've never smoked pot.
ben
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby bumble on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:17 pm

ben wrote:since none of us has sucessfully committed suicide it seems to make it hard to comment on it. it's like saying that pot should be illegal when you've never smoked pot.

Oh Christ, no one has ever tried to ethnic-cleanse me away, and I can have an opinion on it.

I do not play the saxophone, but I can discuss with you why Matana Roberts is such a great alto sax player.

Maybe some people on here have been suicidal from time to time. Most everyone has contemplated it at some point - even if just in the abstract.

I think death is one thing that everyone has in common. Of course we can talk about it.
bumble

Postby Eksvplot on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:07 pm

suicide is perfectly valid.

i'm not saying i'd ever actively encourage anyone to do it, but this silly notion that life is always, unconditionally, worth living -- under any circumstances -- is such fucking bullshit.

we don't live in a world of possibilities -- we live in a world of limitations, and it's only getting worse. sometimes it becomes too much of a burden to simply behold how out of tune everything is, how empty daily life can be, how insincere and opportunistic people generally are toward one another, how our present society encourages stupidity and pettiness, how our bodies are constantly decaying, how the environment is going to shit, how awful things happen to wonderful people, how commerce has a stranglehold on art, how inherently biggoted everyone is, how governments thrive on deceiving and slighting the very people they claim to represent, how impossible it is to find someone you're compatible with both emotionally/intellectually and sexually, how everyone is essentially too absorbed in their own life to reach out when you need it and yet you can't get rid of them when you'd like to be left to your devices, how... well... okay... you get where i'm going here.

basically, if i didn't enjoy the simple things, like the color of autumn leaves or the random encounters with nice people, i'd have offed myself long ago. i'm not planning on killing myself at all. i'm too interested in seeing where all of this leads within the course of my existence. all i'm say is that i don't think it's unreasonable for someone to take everything into account and, at the end of the day, say "fuck it!" and be done with it. as jean renoir said, every man has his reasons.

have a nice day. i know i will.
Eksvplot
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Linus Van Pelt on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:09 pm

giallobelly wrote: Life sucks but there's always something to open your eyes up to awesomeness, you just need to look. Look at a pug dog. Why not live the same world?

bumble wrote:This is silly.

Someone who is terminally ill making a lucid, informed decision could not be more different from someone with suicidal depression.

You can not lump those two events together in C/NC. Waffle factors don't even approach making up for the conflation.

Truth.
Why do you make it so scary to post here.
Linus Van Pelt

Postby Gramsci on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:32 pm

People are free to do what they will with their own body and life. Life is absurd anyway. We're just a bunch of atoms that fortunately or not ended up as a human instead of a table, so in the greater scheme of things suicide is rather meaningless, as is life. If you aren't genuinely enjoying your time alive I fail to see why it is anyone elses business at all? Of course there are family and loved ones to take into account, but at the end of day they'll all be dead one day as well so killing yourself really wont have mattered.

If you not enjoying it, why prolong it?
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby tmidgett on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:42 pm

Gramsci wrote:If you not enjoying it, why prolong it?

b/c as you would agree, life is all we have. each of us, and collectively.

and unless you're in a state that has absolutely no hope of improving, unless you have no chance at a bearable future, you don't give yourself away like that. you can't throw away your life unless it is certain to be unbearable to the end anyway. it's a tremendous waste and a terrible mistake.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby kerble on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:50 pm

you don't get to find out what happens after you check out.

that idea alone has stopped me before (not from the act, but at least from entertaining it).
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby DrAwkward on Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:26 pm

kerble wrote:that idea alone has stopped me before (not from the act, but at least from entertaining it).

Wait, you've tried it without even entertaining the notion first? What did you do, wake up one morning and find yourself on a window ledge? What had you been ingesting?

You are a complicated man, Faiz. No one understands you but your woman.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby bumble on Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:27 pm

Regarding suicidal depression: because everything changes. Bad times will change - maybe not into great times, but nothing lasts.

Unfortunately, this applies to good times, too.
bumble

Postby Gramsci on Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:52 pm

tmidgett wrote:

b/c as you would agree, life is all we have. each of us, and collectively.

and unless you're in a state that has absolutely no hope of improving, unless you have no chance at a bearable future, you don't give yourself away like that. you can't throw away your life unless it is certain to be unbearable to the end anyway. it's a tremendous waste and a terrible mistake.

Fair point, but one day you'll be dead anyway and it will have made not made a stick of difference whether you kill yourself now or live to 104, it's all the same. Whether you are happy or in a slump, you could kill yourself right now and it would make no difference, why should it? Does it make any difference to a horse when it dies? Thinking otherwise is standard human egoism.
Last edited by Gramsci on Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Linus Van Pelt on Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:58 pm

Gramsci wrote:standard human egoism.

Sign me up.
Why do you make it so scary to post here.
Linus Van Pelt

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap