band: Soundgarden

Postby kerble on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:17 pm

Crap.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby atlantic on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:20 pm

I dont care what anyone says about their early albums, CRAP!!!
http://www.myspace.com/americangeography

"Get high from drinking blood, not drugs and alcohol!" www.katsunderworldcoven.org
atlantic
frugal gourmet
frugal gourmet

Postby full point on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:24 pm

Screaming Life/Fopp=Not Crap
Ultramega OK=Not Crap

select songs from Badmotorfinger=Not Crap

Everything else is kinda crappy. Heavy crap came later in their career though.

Those first 2 records are actually pretty bitchin/noisy records that I would still listen to if I could find them in my heap of old cassette tapes.
:spade: :spade:
full point
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby DrAwkward on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:29 pm

I love Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger. NOT CRAP.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Peripatetic on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:37 pm

Old stuff: Has it's moments, although most of it...meh.

Badmotorfinger: Not Crap, still one of my favorite records of all time.

Superknown: Crap, :WF: 1 for "4th of July" which is an amazing song.

Down on the Upside: Holy fucking crapola.

Overall: Crap :WF: 5 for Badmotorfinger.
rysie wrote:The original dumb shit was so very nearly compressed
Peripatetic
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby stevenstillborn on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:44 pm

I don't care what anyone says, these guys were my FAVORITE band in high school. That would've been the Badmotorfinger - Down on the Upside days. Badmotorfinger AND Down on the Upside still see some play in my cd player. They did not age as well as Nirvana, to be sure. Soundgarden's stuff sounds a bit dated, like a 1994 time capsule. But I don't care. I like 1994.
NOT CRAP: no waffles
stevenstillborn
pete maravich
pete maravich

Postby buzzsaw on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:45 pm

fuck you- not crap
maybe some boring songs sometimes.....fuck you do better
buzzsaw
princess di
princess di

Postby Chapter Two on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:47 pm

For a young fella making a transition from metal to more interesting stuff, they were certainly instrumental. I liked Chris Cornell's voice a lot more before he had singing lessons though. That song Heretic was good. The best thing about them later was that guy on bass. But I thought even Superunknown had some good songs: Head Down was a good song. The rockier things were just annoying. I never heard Oops Upside Your Head because I just wasn't bothered. But as an integral part of my youth, definitely Not Crap.
Chapter Two

Postby DrAwkward on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:18 pm

Chapter Two wrote:For a young fella making a transition from metal to more interesting stuff, they were certainly instrumental.

Absolutely. One of the reasons they get such an emphatic NOT CRAP from me was because i saw them open for Skid Row on the Badmotorfinger tour while Skid Row was touring for Slave to the Grind. At the time i couldn't stand Soundgarden and was only going to the concert to see Skid Row, but thought that i should buy some Soundgarden cassettes and give them a chance, because hey, if SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?

So i buy Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger and they start to grow on me. Then i go to the concert, and Soundgarden proceeds to RIP SHIT UP. I'm completely blown away, and by the time Skid Row get on stage, i'm left feeling that they look really silly following up these grizzled Pacific-Northwestern fuzzmonsters.

Maybe i've discovered stuff since then that was 1000X better than Soundgarden, but they, along with Faith No More, They Might Be Giants, and (to a lesser degree) Nirvana, were the bands that opened my mind to the fact that yes, there IS more interesting music than hair metal. So again, NOT CRAP for all of these reasons.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:27 pm

I saw them a few times, and I have heard all the records.

Oh, have I heard them.

Crap.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Mr. Chimp on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:30 pm

Screaming Life Not Crap

FOPP Not Crap WF2 for "FOPP Dub"

Ultramega OK Not Crap

Louder Than Love Not Crap

Badmotorfinger Not Crap WF1 for slight self-indulgence/length

Superunknown Not Crap WF1: -5 for "Black Hole Sun", -2 for "Spoonman", +4 for "Head Down", +2 for "The Day I Tried To Live"

Down On The Upside Crap WF5. Aside from Cameron and Thayil, there are very few things that are good about this record, and "Burden In My Hand" has nearly all of them. "Blow Up The Outside World"? Sheeesh.

Soundgarden = Not Crap for Thayil, Cameron, Yamamoto, Shepard, and most of Cornell.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I bass Century Rocket Building & Small Awesome

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & BooKoos
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby placeholder on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:37 pm

I have just learned, via DrAwkward's post, that Soundgarden toured with Skid Row. This is entirely appropriate.

Soundgarden were cheesy cock rock with grating vocals and dull guitar pyrotechnics. Further, "Soundgarden" is a terrible band name, and always sounded sorta pyramid-power-new-agey to me.

CRAP. Zero waffle factor.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:47 pm

"Soundgarden" is a terrible band name, and always sounded sorta pyramid-power-new-agey to me.

Soundgarden named themselves after the Sound Garden.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby placeholder on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:51 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:
"Soundgarden" is a terrible band name, and always sounded sorta pyramid-power-new-agey to me.

Soundgarden named themselves after the Sound Garden.

Oh, I know that. That fact does not make it a particularly good band name. I suspect their rock music would have been better served by a band name with more "flash and balls."
placeholder

Postby eephour on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:56 pm

the cow says...not crap

bad motorfinger fuckin owns

kim rocks

cornell on the other hand sheer crapola
Last edited by eephour on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby mackro on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:56 pm

I'm not sure which creative forces were at work the most in Soundgarden throughout the years, but for every five or six forgettable songs, they had one killer song... "Flower", "Toy Box", "Mind Riot" are great examples of the better songs...

I think Kim, Matt, Ben, and Hiro are wonderfully nice people... Thayil has guested on several Steve Fisk songs.. and I thought Truly, the band with Hiro Yamamoto and Mark Pickerel (Screaming Trees, Steve Fisk, Pell Mell, etc.) was overlooked.

I never heard much about Chris, nor met him, so I can't say anything other than that he's really staining his resume being in beach-volleyball rock band Audioslave.. and also suing his former bandmates and ex-wife/manager.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby scott on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:54 pm

UltramegaOK, Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger, all great albums. Superunknown has a couple/few songs that I really like, but mostly it was the end for me. I think the Hater album was one of the more overlooked albums of the 90's. Love it.

The Soundgarden tour I really wish I would've gone to was the one that went Soundgarden, Voivod, and Faith No More, back in like 1990 or so. I *REALLY* wish I would've been at that show, to see all of those bands when they were slaying.

Even though they ended badly, and Cornell has gone on to do even worse still, I would say a definite NOT CRAP for Soundgarden. Cameron's drumming on any of those 3 albums is enough to single-handedly outweigh all of the CRAP factors, even the makeup back in the day or the suck-ass near the end.

These guys did a lot to bring odd meter rock into the mainstream, too. So good for them on that one.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby hellyes!! on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:14 pm

scott wrote:Even though they ended badly, and Cornell has gone on to do even worse still, I would say a definite NOT CRAP for Soundgarden. Cameron's drumming on any of those 3 albums is enough to single-handedly outweigh all of the CRAP factors, even the makeup back in the day or the suck-ass near the end.

These guys did a lot to bring odd meter rock into the mainstream, too. So good for them on that one.

I agree about Matt Cameron. He is an excellent drummer. And, despite what some others here think, I think Cornell has a likable voice. Not to mention, he's a hottie. :D

edit- for my hasty typing.
hellyes!!
erik seidel
erik seidel

Postby John W. on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:23 pm

Morning dump.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby joelb on Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:36 pm

eephour wrote:
bad motorfinger fuckin owns

So NOT CRAP. Allow me to expound. I am heartened to see the stories here of how Soundgarden was the band that turned people on to real rock, and I think that's true for a lot of folks who may have otherwise fallen into the Warrant/Cinderella canyon, never to be heard from again.

For whatever indefensible crap that Cornell and Co. morphed into in the mid-90s, Badmotorfinger was the fucking blueprint that made me appreciate skilled, pounding drumming, "good" guitar wankery and LOUD distortion. I wore that cassette out. The transition between "Slaves and Bulldozers" and "Jesus Christ Pose" on this album is one of my all time favorite rock moments, ever. For a high school kid who had never heard real heavy music before, it was a revelation.

I am eternally jealous of my friend who saw them in 1990 or so at a small club in Detroit. I was about a year late to that party. I wonder if Skid Row even listened to them before they invited them on tour-I think it'd be fairly obvious they were set up to get blown off the stage.

I never listen to them anymore. I think I will tonight.
joelb
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap