did season two really suck that bad?

is sheryll lee hot, or WHAT??!

andyk
andteater
saw big cat
saw big cat

Falling

Postby Redline on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:38 pm

I liked Twin Peaks till near the end, when it just became a loose-ends festival.

Still Not Crap.

All the chicks were hot. Except for the silent curtain-rod lady.

Peggy Lipton can serve me breakfast anytime.

Jay
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby tmidgett on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:46 pm

i loved this show

i swear to god, i haven't gone back to rewatch them, but i think there was a series of shows that served as a long dream sequence. these were the 'shitty' episodes, where everyone was real stilted and the writing was 'bad.' i remember at the time that there was a moment when i thought 'aha! all that stuff was _on purpose!_' but i might have been kidding myself.

all the lynch-directed stuff was great. actually, i think anything lynch or mark frost did was really good. but i can't remember.

the dad turning into bob and smashing maddy's head into the 'missoula, montana' poster was one of the creepiest, most jarring things i've ever seen in a movie or tv show

ALL the girls on that show were pretty smoking
tmidgett

Postby SURF PUNK on Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:59 pm

Great show. It ended badly, but still one of the best !
SURF PUNK
troll
troll

Postby scelops on Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:39 am

Ended badly?

The best ending ever! How could it be better?
Dopplegangers, The Black Lodge? Brilliant.

Season two did have a lot of boring teenage shit in it though. That motorcycle guy and the rich woman, -sheesh...

Not Crap.

-wilson
scelops
casio
casio

Postby l_o_c on Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:32 am

I liked it, though it did go down the tubes after the murder was solved. But then again, I liked the movie (Fire Walk With Me).

Not crap.
l_o_c
secretary of state
secretary of state

twin peaks

Postby n.c. on Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:25 am

Not even an ounce of crap. Total genius every second. Even the second season that delved deep into soap operatics. I have owned the VHS box set in several forms and seen every episode at least 20 times. My girlfreind is studying cello and she keeps it on with no sound whenever she practices. The best sound track as well, and I just want to mention the Roy Orbison cover en espanol in Mulholland Drive.
-n
n.c.
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby andteater on Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:30 am

scelops,

you're absolutely right. that whole thing with bobby and the rich woman made absolutely no sense. another horrible scene i remember is the scene where bobby, maddy and laura flynn boyle sit around a radio and sing this really lame 50's ballad...so fucking bad...

the best thing about the final episode was the old man that opens the safe. me and my then girlfriend were dying during that scene...and i found the movie to be very uplifting (and i'm hoping that they finally release the extra hour of footage that lynch has this year)

andyk
andteater
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby stewie on Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:06 pm

God I loved this show, and watched it straight through when it first arrived. I adored the photography, the music, the completely off-their-rocker characters, and the many storylines. I was entranced the entire time, and I'm dying to see it on DVD.

Does the DVD have the pilot? I remember the VHS edition didn't have it and had to be bought separately.

Damn fine coffee.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby andteater on Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:06 pm

stewie-

the dvd does not have the pilot. i just had to lend my copy of the pilot to a friend who just got the dvds...

yeah. lets get back to sheryl lee...hell yeah.

andyk
andteater
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby mattw on Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:23 pm

Last edited by mattw on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Mr. Chimp on Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:02 pm

About 6-7 years ago I acquired the set and watched the whole thing back and forth a number of times. I found that despite some softness of subplots/characters, there was only one shit episode, and that's when the motorcycle tool James has some random unassociated experiences with a married woman - episode directed by Diane Keaton if I'm not mistaken.

Aside from that, the series did seem to pick back up into weirdness with the introduction of the Wydam Earle character in the second season.

I got pretty engaged with the mystery and the mythology of the whole story. Read all of the omitted parts of the scripts, TV and movie (worth it), the Laura Palmer diary (interesting for the backstory, but shit) and the Agent Cooper book that was very informative to the whole of Cooper's characters and interations. I also read a fan-generated timeline of events that was excellent.

All in all, a good way to flesh out the span of the story. But when all is said and done, no more understandable than "Lost Highway" or "Mullholland Drive." Or "Eraserhead" for that matter. Just a lot more detail.

But that's me. I'm a sucker for a story with scope.

I'm still holding out hope that Lynch will make a epilogue to match "Fire Walk with Me"'s prologue - in 25 years of course.

BTW, anyone who's a fan of Mark Frost (TP scribe/co-creative force) should read his book "The List of 7." Excellent reality-blurring period piece where the main character is A. Conan Doyle, who in the course of careers of writing and debunking mystics gets caught up in other-worldly events and meets a "real life" charater who inspires the Holmes character. Very well written, indeed.
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby andteater on Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:15 pm

matt.

did you watch the whole series along with the movie?

i would assume that the movie is horrible if you havent seen the whole series...

www.twinpeaks.org has some great information on it for all others who are extremely bored at work often...

andyk

mattw wrote:How about Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me?

That was so bad, it was good

"Doo...you...know..who ..I am...I am the arm...I sound like this...wwooooowowowoowo"
andteater
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Mr. Chimp on Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:42 pm

Plus, I forgot, exceptionally amazing women.

However, Sheryl Lee never did much for me.

top three, in order:

Peggy Lipton
Lara Flynn Boyle
Sherilyn Fenn (sp?)

as of this TV series. Actually now, I think LFB got freeze-dried, and SF blew up like a chubby balloon.
Mr. Chimp

Postby andteater on Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:51 pm

chimp.

sheryl lee might not do much for yee if you watch twin peaks, but check out the fine film "backbeat" i cannot stress how important it is for every heterosexual male to see this movie, providing them the opportunity to marvel at the most beautiful woman to ever appear in a film...sheryl lee...

i always thought sherlyn fenn was cute but you're right, she really blew up and dissapeared...and i think joan chen is still stuck in that drawer....

andyk

Mr. Chimp wrote:Plus, I forgot, exceptionally amazing women.

However, Sheryl Lee never did much for me.

top three, in order:

Peggy Lipton
Lara Flynn Boyle
Sherilyn Fenn (sp?)

as of this TV series. Actually now, I think LFB got freeze-dried, and SF blew up like a chubby balloon.
andteater
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby mattw on Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:45 pm

andteater wrote:matt.

did you watch the whole series along with the movie?

i would assume that the movie is horrible if you havent seen the whole series...

www.twinpeaks.org has some great information on it for all others who are extremely bored at work often...

andyk

Saw a good bit of the TV show and thought it was great. I thought the movie was a little gratuitous, however--too drawn out and over the top. I think they could've easily wrapped it up in the show without having to make a movie out of it...with a guest spot by Bowie, no less...

Don't get me wrong...I love Lynch and pretty much everything he's done
mattw

Postby connor on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:08 am

I just watched the first disc of season 1. Holy shit! I've never seen this show before! It's great! But fuck man, why isn't the pilot episode on these DVD's?
deep.BTUz wrote:I'm into girls, physical fitness and real estate.

Ya'know actual accomplishments.
connor
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby tommydski on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:12 am

it is.

the episode where they find laura palmer's body is the pilot.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby andteater on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:18 am

connor wrote:I just watched the first disc of season 1. Holy shit! I've never seen this show before! It's great! But fuck man, why isn't the pilot episode on these DVD's?

evidentally, the pilot is owned by a different company than the one who put out the DVD, so in order to watch pilot, you'd have to buy it off ebay - alot of people sell it there.

i have it. its kind of a waste once you've seen any of the other episodes, its just an introduction to every character and the story of laura palmer's death.

andyk
andteater
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Run Around on Fire on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:26 am

NOT.

I have the entire pilot, season 1 and season 2 on some bootleg-ish Spanish DVDs (don't tell anyone).

Everything involving the Laura Palmer saga and Agent Cooper himself are absolutely incredible (Coop is probably one of my all time favorite fictional characters), but the side-stories in season one are kinda boring, and the side-stories in season 2 are often fucking awful. Windham Earle and that guy Dick who may have gotten Lucy preggers are THE WORST. But I'll spare ya'll the soap-opera-type discussion. I love Fire Walk With Me.

And yes Twin Peaks had quite an assortment of fox(e)y ladies. Audrey being #uno.
Run Around on Fire
assclown
assclown

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap