Crap?
4%
Not Crap?
96%

Total votes : 192

HBO Drama: The Wire

Postby Cranius on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:43 am

Baltimore based drama: The Wire

UK TV critic Charlie Brooker was singing the praises of this show the other day. He said it was one of the best TV shows your ever likely to see. I was thinking of ordering it on DVD.

Should I bother?

[Charlie Brooker describes The Wire]
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Adam CR on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:19 am

It's ok. I gave up after the second episode, but I'm not a big fan of TV so two episodes is pretty good going for me.

Have you seen 'The Shield'? Completely ace. I made it through two entire series.
On a steel horse I ride.
Adam CR
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby boilermaker on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:55 am

I'd say get it. It takes more than a couple of episodes to get into it. Some of the street lingo is difficult to understand (especially being a non-American as I am) so DVD with subtitles is a perfect way to see it. The way it is written means you may not get a handle on it until about four episodes in and by then you should be hooked. I've seen the first two seasons on DVD and was completely hooked by the stellar writing and ensemble cast. Season two was better I think but you have to see season one. I'm no fan of TV drama usually but The Wire was an exception. DVD is also good because you can watch the whole season over a week or less if you get as hooked as I did.

The WIRE is the best American TV series ever IMO.
NOT CRAP!
boilermaker
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Postby j_harvey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:38 am

boilermaker wrote:I'd say get it. It takes more than a couple of episodes to get into it. Some of the street lingo is difficult to understand (especially being a non-American as I am) so DVD with subtitles is a perfect way to see it. The way it is written means you may not get a handle on it until about four episodes in and by then you should be hooked. I've seen the first two seasons on DVD and was completely hooked by the stellar writing and ensemble cast. Season two was better I think but you have to see season one. I'm no fan of TV drama usually but The Wire was an exception. DVD is also good because you can watch the whole season over a week or less if you get as hooked as I did.

The WIRE is the best American TV series ever IMO.
NOT CRAP!

I couldn't agree more. I think The Wire is the best show on TV. It makes Law and Order look like a Nancy Drew mystery.

I tried The Sheild too, but only got about half way through the first season. It seemed cartoonish compared to The Wire.

I am really surprised that more people don't watch it.
j_harvey
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby j_harvey on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:40 am

Also, Season 3 just came out on DVD this month and Season 4 starts airing on HBO next month.
j_harvey
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby ironyengine on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:59 am

Fuck this show. They make it exceedingly difficult to get in and out of my friends' apartment building while they're taping.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby mr.arrison on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:07 pm

Good show. I've lived in B'more for 1.5 years now, in a transitional neighborhood where the HBO filming goes on from time. It's highly entertaining, if anything to see the neighborhood bar and corner store featured on the telly.

I think it also does a fair job of showing a big city police department with the politics and bureaucracy and the constant struggle of both good and bad cops between morality and corruption. It paints a very human picture of the antagonists and the protagonists. It's the anti-Spielberg approach. You watch the heroes and the villains fuck themselves up into a quagmire.

You can actually relate to the bad guys from time to time, and some of the cops are worse than the villains in the show (instead of the usual CSI/Matlock/Law&Order good guy-bad guy dichotomy). I feel sorry for those killed, but I also feel sympathy for the murderers too. This show shows that it is possible to make a tragic realistic drama out of empathy.

Much like the landscape of East Baltimore, the show is grey. It doesn't take sides. It's ambigious. I would expect most people who watch TV can't handle this approach. I'm surprised it has made it this many seasons.

Not crap.
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby dgrace on Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:23 am

edit
Last edited by dgrace on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
dgrace
pope
pope

Postby Jodi S. on Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:50 am

The show is not crap. but the fact that the new season is (so far) only available on HBO On Demand is crap.

Crap because I do not subscribe to HBO On Demand.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby chopjob on Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:55 am

How's the new season, cable subscribers?

As good? Better? Different?
chopjob
took picture of naked guy

Postby Mr. Chimp on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:25 pm

chopjob wrote:How's the new season, cable subscribers?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

This show, I've found, works best for me in multi-episode blocks, though now that I'm up to date, I eagerly anticipate the next episode.

I DVR'ed the last couple of weeks due to busyness and whatnot, and just had the opportunity to view 4 in a row.

This season 4, she is better than the other seasons - the best so far, but mebbe you would not know this had you not seen the previous seasons.

It is strikingly compelling. There is absolutely no one else painting this vivid of a picture.

And, I feel, that this is one of the only stories going that I do not feel the need to take with a grain of salt.

Everybody should see this show, and this incredible season 4, to really get a clear, consise and poignant view of what the ass-end of politics and policy implementation/protocol looks like.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I bass Century Rocket Building & Small Awesome

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & BooKoos
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby sparky on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:35 pm

I wolfed down the first season on DVD with my housemate last week. We were utterly addicted. Second season has arrived, when I get time I will attack that.

The biggest achievement of the show for me is that it can paint a believable and memorable character in a scene. Even the minor characters stick with me.

My only fear is that perhaps on further viewing, whatever techniques that the creators use for this will become apparent, and the appearance of alchemy may disappear.

Regardless, what a fucking brilliant show.
sparky
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby chopjob on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:17 pm

Mr. Chimp wrote:
chopjob wrote:How's the new season, cable subscribers?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

This season 4, she is better than the other seasons - the best so far, but mebbe you would not know this had you not seen the previous seasons.

So good to hear that it is so good. So bad to know that I am missing such goodness.

That one series can change scope and focus with such success is laudatory.

I will see you someday, Season Four.
chopjob

Postby thewarden on Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:55 pm

My first exposure was through some of the specials that aired before Season 4 began, and started watching Season 4 and had trouble for the first few episodes figuring out who was who and what have you, but I've been catching up through Netflix and was up til 7 this morning watching the rest of Season 1 and then reading the episode indexes online. An incredible show.
thewarden
pope
pope

Postby The Kid on Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:41 pm

j_harvey wrote: I tried The Sheild too, but only got about half way through the first season. It seemed cartoonish compared to The Wire.

I fully agree. The Shield is like a soap opera.
I might need to upgrade my cable so I can see season 4.
The Kid
canasta
canasta

Postby j_harvey on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:46 pm

The Kid wrote:
j_harvey wrote: I tried The Sheild too, but only got about half way through the first season. It seemed cartoonish compared to The Wire.

I fully agree. The Shield is like a soap opera.

Just compare the incident where one cop shoots another cop in Episode 1 of The Shield with a similar (but, of course totally different) take on the same event in Season 3 of The Wire. With The Shield the shooting comes across as something you'd see in a Lethal Weapon movie...on The Wire it comes across as something you'd see on the evening news.
j_harvey
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby lewd jaw on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:08 am

I caught some of the first season and started watching again recently. It was good to begin with but they've upped their game.

Anyone who has lived in a blighted, corrupt hyperurban area will recognize that the show is dead on.

The Wire also doesn't take the short cut of using caricatures for the criminals.
lewd jaw
viceroy
viceroy

Postby abcgroupdocumentation on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:40 pm

Season 1 was great. It took 2-3 episodes before I was buyin' what they were sellin', but i Love this show now.

NOT CRAP!
ABC Group Documentation>New Music For Working People
abcgroupdocumentation
liver
liver

Postby dave76 on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:48 pm

In my opinion, the best show on TV, period.
Dave
dave76
novitiate
novitiate

Postby wellsyuk on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:20 pm

I've got addicted to it after seeing Charlie Brooker go on about it on tv. I have season 1 and 2 lined up on my video pod commuting to work - it's a fantastic watch. Can't wait to get onto seasons 3 and 4. I don't usually watch any tv/drama stuff, but this is fuckin a.
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap