Total votes : 200

Band: Joy Division

Postby John W. on Tue May 11, 2004 6:03 pm

Not Crap
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby rocco on Tue May 11, 2004 6:46 pm

This is a great chance for us to right the wrongs that were committed in the "bands I don't like cause my head is up my own ass" thread.

The most not crap band I can think of.
rocco
hemingway
hemingway

Postby tthomas on Tue May 11, 2004 8:20 pm

If you didn't get chills the first time you heard Shadowplay you don't deserve to own the part of your brain that processes auditory input.

Most emphatically NOT CRAP!!!!
tthomas
busher
busher

Postby SchnappM on Tue May 11, 2004 8:41 pm

I think they're good but they're far from the best band in the world.
SchnappM
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby tmidgett on Tue May 11, 2004 10:26 pm

i love joy division and always will

and i love new order

i cannot stop listening to the first side of _power, corruption, and lies_ lately

i must've played it twenty times over the last couple weeks
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby horsewhip on Wed May 12, 2004 12:20 am

Overrated? Oh, yeah!

Crap? Most certainly not!
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby STF on Wed May 12, 2004 1:14 am

They weren't around long enough to be crap. If you listen to the Heart and Soul box set, you can see how they went from generic but promising punk to singularly original and unforgettable in about a year and a half.

"Love Will Tear Us Apart" is the best single of the 80s, and I will brook no argument.

Most definitely NOT CRAP. One of my favorite bands.
STF
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby placeholder on Wed May 12, 2004 8:34 am

NOT CRAP.

They are my favorite band. Closer is my favorite record.

New Order are also excellent across the board. I'd rate Movement as on par with Joy Division's records.
Last edited by placeholder on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby same on Wed May 12, 2004 11:58 am

tmidgett wrote:i cannot stop listening to the first side of _power, corruption, and lies_ lately

i bought that cassette a few days ago. i agree, that first side rocks. 586 and age of consent are my favorites.
same
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Here Are the Young Men

Postby John W. on Wed May 12, 2004 12:28 pm

I've been watching this old video of Joy Division -- the quality isn't too good, but watching I.C. do that dance of his is something. Plus, it's interesting hearing them live without that icey Martin Hannett production. They really had some balls when they rocked out at the clubs.

Speaking of Hannett, though -- found an intersting site about him here:
http://freespace.virgin.net/anna.b/hannett/hannett.htm
John W.

Postby Mr. Chimp on Wed May 12, 2004 12:44 pm

Joy Division......Some amazing highs and some chartable lows.

I mean, when was the last time that "Closer" was in high rotation on your media-playing device?

However, Joy Division is an inextricable part of my musical history and growth. No matter the calibre of the song, they tapped into a space that was groundbreaking.

I'll always remember the first time I heard "Disorder."
I'll always remember the first time I heard "Transmission."
I'll always remember the first time I heard "No Love Lost"
I'll always remember the first time I heard "They Walked In Line"
I'll always remember the first time I heard "31G"
I'll always remember the first time I heard "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
I'll always remember the first time I heard "Dead Souls"
I'll always remember the first time I heard "Leaders of Men"
I'll always remember the first time I heard "Isolation"
I'll always remember the first time I heard "These Days"
I'll always remember the first time I heard "Insight"

etc.

I'll always remember the first time I heard Trent Reznor's supershit version of "Dead Souls." Complete. Horseshit.

I'll always remember the first time I saw New Order at the defunct Poplar Creek Music Theater and they opened with "Ceremony."

Not Crap.
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Re: Here Are the Young Men

Postby Mr. Chimp on Wed May 12, 2004 12:50 pm

John W. wrote:They really had some balls when they rocked out at the clubs.

There's a great CD collection out there under the name of "Warsaw" that has all of the original early recordings, including whole scrapped sessions (I believe). Recordings are raw and reportedly much more like their live sound. Here's the Amazon Link.
Mr. Chimp

Postby the Classical on Wed May 12, 2004 12:56 pm

I love 'em, I even have a Joy Division jacket! which I haven't worn in awhile cause there is dry vomit all over the cuffs
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby tmidgett on Wed May 12, 2004 3:03 pm

I mean, when was the last time that "Closer" was in high rotation on your media-playing device?

i listened to this record a LOT at one point in my life

and i wasn't even depressed

i think it's almost as good as _unknown pleasures_. just really really down there.

the _les bains douches_ bootleg is super great live j.d., if you are looking for that

there's an old one called _amsterdam_ that is also really good
tmidgett

Postby placeholder on Wed May 12, 2004 3:19 pm

tmidgett wrote:

this one has since been legitimately reissued as part of the kinda-pricey "refractured" boxset. it is a good show.
placeholder

Postby mattw on Wed May 12, 2004 7:21 pm

tmidgett wrote:

i think it's almost as good as _unknown pleasures_. just really really down there.

the _les bains douches_ bootleg is super great live j.d., if you are looking for that

'Closer' is such a stark and creepy record- something about it that draws you back again and again...'this is the way...step inside...' Powerful stuff...I like it more than 'Unknown Pleasures' in quite a few ways...

I read on Insound that there are two new JD DVD's coming out 'here are the young men' and I forget the title of the other one, compiling live performances and other shite...
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Mr. Chimp on Thu May 13, 2004 9:10 am

tmidgett wrote:

No arguments here. I too have spent quality time on it, but I've found that when the urge hits I go for Unknown Pleasures or more often Substance.

That was all I was saying.
Mr. Chimp

Postby tallchris on Thu May 13, 2004 1:39 pm

Some of the best bass lines ever written populate Joy Division and the early New Order records. Peter Hook is bomb.
tallchris

Postby John W. on Thu May 13, 2004 2:02 pm

mattw wrote:I read on Insound that there are two new JD DVD's coming out 'here are the young men' and I forget the title of the other one, compiling live performances and other shite...

of course... i go out and buy the shitty bootleg dvd of 'here are the young men' (sound only comes out on the left channel -- the digital mastering is jagged), only to find out that a legit version will be coming out soon. oh well, good to know that there's another one coming out with more live stuff. that'll be cool.
John W.

Postby Bernardo on Thu May 13, 2004 3:50 pm

From the Martin Hannett biography website, I thought it was interesting:

"It wasn't until the end of '78 that the band finally returned to the studio to record two new songs for an upcoming Factory Records sampler.   In the intervening months, they'd acquired both a manager in the form of Rob Gretton, and been introduced to the mercurial talents of Tony Wilson.   It was him who suggested that the group enter the studio with a producer called Martin Zero (who later became Hannett).   It was to be one of the most important steps they ever took.

"Martin didn't give a f- about making a pop record," enthuses Bernard.   "All he wanted to do was experiment.   His attitude was that you get a load of drugs, lock the door of the studio and you stay in there all night and you see what you've got the next morning.   And you keep doing that until it's done.   That's how all our records were made.   We were on speed, Martin was into smack."

The band had never met anyone like it before.   Peter Hook, in particular, took a while to get acclimatised.

"Bernard and I were very down to earth," he recalls, "and he was, like, from another planet.   He was just this really weird hippy who never talked any sense at all.   At least, I never knew what he was talking about anyway.

"Still, you had a rapport with him.   He used to say to Rob, 'Get these two thick stupid c-s out of my way'.   In the studio, we'd sit on the left, he'd sit on the right and if we said anything like, 'I think the guitars are a bit quiet, Martin,' he'd scream, 'Oh my God!   Why don't you just f- off, you stupid retards.'   It was alright at first, but gradually he started to get weirder and weirder."

Acting like a post-punk Phil Spector, Hannett would try his hardest to ignore the wishes of the band whenever possible, which meant most of the time the recording studio was the scene of epic battles for control.   Invariably, Hannett won.

It's impossible to underestimate the contribution he made to Joy Division's music.   He was certainly overwhelmingly responsible for fashioning the sound that six months later would manifest itself as the band's debut album and first masterpiece, 'Unknown Pleasures' - as far as Sumner and Hook were concerned it was designed as a raw rock record.

In fact, it emerged as a deeply claustrophobic experience shrouded in Hannett's echoing, hyper-urban production.   Packaged in graphic designer Peter Saville's evocative black and white sleeve, it was an album of immense gravitas that contained a frequently harrowing, virtually unmatchable emotional impact.

Curtis' poignant and alienated lyrics combined with the nasal harshness of his voice to create an atmosphere at times bordering on unmitigated despair.   Understandably, the album received gushing reviews, and Joy Division's reputation was cemented. "
Bernardo

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap