Do you like your new gear stone-washed?

crap
95%
not crap
5%

Total votes : 76

relic'ed/faux-vintage guitars

Postby Sid Hartha on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 am

Specifically, forgeries of would-be vintage examples, complete with scratches, chips, wear, burn marks, and general signs of abuse.

I know a guy who has several vintage guitars, but when he plays gigs he uses his "custom shop" Strat - a new model that has been 'pre-worn' so it looks vintage. I'm starting to get the feeling that a lot of guitarists are doing this.

A quick Google search turned up these fine examples (both are brand new guitars, the additional "treatment" adds $500-1k to the final cost):

Does this really impress anyone?
Sid Hartha
took picture of naked guy

Postby madlee on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:31 am

fender made some super expensive replica of a worn "blackie" clapton's stratocaster. I think they sold for like $30k. I think any mexican made strat will definitely have a much more productive rock and roll life than those replicas.
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby hogrot on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:03 am

i'm voting crap because it's fraudulent, but a wf of 5 because relic'd guitars look cool.
strap-on wrote:74 inches of pleasure.
hogrot
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby alex maiolo on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:08 am

I love the way a well used guitar looks, but I like it because it means it's been loved, hated, and seen the world. Every ding tells a story, and that story is not "we dragged it across the parking lot in Fullerton, then set it up on the roof for a month."

My old strat belonged to my friend Leslie and I know why it looks the way it does. I feel pretty honored to own it and look forward to wearing it in further (even though I rarely play strats).

I say CRAP, no waffles, even if they look great, because it's the lamest way you can buy "cool" that I can think of. This isn't like beating up your jeans to break them in, this is aimed at the Blues Lawyers who want to buy some sort of cred.

Great poll, by the way.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby steve on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:17 am

I've seen a few of these, and the wear is not at all convincing. No belt-buckle hacks, for example, and no pick wear above the pick-guard.

Made by hacks to fleece fools. Crap.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:25 am

alex maiolo wrote:This isn't like beating up your jeans to break them in, this is aimed at the Blues Lawyers who want to buy some sort of cred..

-A

Well said!

I love the look of old, beat the shit guitars, too, but I'm not paying anyone to do that.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Maurice on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:41 am

alex maiolo wrote:Every ding tells a story, and that story is not "we dragged it across the parking lot in Fullerton, then set it up on the roof for a month."

Yep. A guitar wearing its actual history is fine. Fakery...not so much.
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice

Postby BadComrade on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:03 pm

I can't wait until they start selling new cars using this concept:

"That dent in the hood? That's where I fucked your mom in the rain."

"That broken duct tape covered side window? That's when I was parked downtown in front of the Cubby Bear, and someone smashed my window to steal my coat."

"Oh, the key mark down the side? Your dad did that when he found out that I fucked your mom on the hood."

$5000 extra for rusty wheel wells.
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Redline on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:18 pm

Total Crap. I can wear my guitars out by myself just fine, thank you very much. Aged plastic, pitted hardware, and buffed-in arm wear on a new guitar can kiss my ass.

Folks that know what they're doing are already in the business of authenticating genuine vintage guitars due to the Relic paranoia.
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby petercobber on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:26 pm

alex maiolo wrote: Blues Lawyers -A

This Rock Lawyer agrees with you. But now I feel dumb for being a Rock Lawyer. But not as dumb as a Blues Lawyer should feel.

Relic guitars = new "kit" muscle cars
The band is My Canadian Girlfriend ("MCG") http://www.mycanadiangirlfriend.bandcamp.com
New 6 song record, Shogun, is here for you now.
petercobber
chimp
chimp

Postby Adam CR on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:35 pm

I don't see how the type of person who'd whine about these guitars is in any way superior to the type of person who'd buy one.

Both consider there to be some sort of voodoo-mojo about guitar-wear. One considers that it can be faked, the other considers that it must not be faked.

Both are CRAP.

The guitars look no worse or better than their un-aged alternatives.

:WF:
On a steel horse I ride.
Adam CR
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby m.koren on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:41 pm

alex maiolo wrote:
I say CRAP, no waffles, even if they look great, because it's the lamest way you can buy "cool" that I can think of.
-A

Do consider Alex, that some people (not just 'Blues Lawyers) will seek out these guitars simply because it feels better to play a worn in guitar. Just think how many decades it would take to wear a new poly finish Fender. And unfortunately, seventies Fenders and Gibsons are absurdly overpriced given the quality control issues so, that's not really an alternative either. Personally, I got around all this by taking a 60's reissue Mexi Strat and, with nothing but light grade steel wool, sandpaper, salt (to age machine heads), and coffee (to age plastic parts), I got something argueably authentic feeling/looking. Not Crap with a giant waffle for those limited run celebrity editions (18 grand for a remake of Clapton's Cream era 335 !!)
amelia wrote: You are not supposed to respond to me
m.koren
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Sid Hartha on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:52 pm

Adam CR wrote:I don't see how the type of person who'd whine about these guitars is in any way superior to the type of person who'd buy one.

Both consider there to be some sort of voodoo-mojo about guitar-wear. One considers that it can be faked, the other considers that it must not be faked.

Both are CRAP.

That's pretty much the way I feel about it. The guy I was referring to earlier had a perfectly good guitar, but must have felt that he couldn't be seen in public with it unless it had some paint strategically worn off, gouges in the fretboard etc.

The whole "worn out looking guitar = cred" mentality is lame from the start, along with guitarists who can't function properly with an instrument that still has a decent finish on it.

It's an affectation - therefore, crap.
Sid Hartha

Postby madlee on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:59 pm

petercobber wrote:Relic guitars = new "kit" muscle cars

???? NO WAY.
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby m.koren on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Sid Hartha wrote:
Adam CR wrote:I don't see how the type of person who'd whine about these guitars is in any way superior to the type of person who'd buy one.

Both are CRAP.

That's pretty much the way I feel about it. The guy I was referring to earlier had a perfectly good guitar, but must have felt that he couldn't be seen in public with it unless it had some paint strategically worn off, gouges in the fretboard etc.

The whole "worn out looking guitar = cred" mentality is lame from the start, along with guitarists who can't function properly with an instrument that still has a decent finish on it.

It's an affectation - therefore, crap.

It sounds like your beef is with a certain type of person rather than a certain type of guitar. Like, Crap by association. If I thought like that, I wouldn't enjoy a lot of bands that I do, because maybe, just maybe, 'idiots' listen to those groups too. That would be Crap.
m.koren

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:23 pm

I thought this was a joke, this is real?
Jesus are people fucking retarded these days.

Im gonna buy a brand new car with a big dent in the side too.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby hogrot on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:24 pm

m.koren wrote:
alex maiolo wrote:
I say CRAP, no waffles, even if they look great, because it's the lamest way you can buy "cool" that I can think of.
-A

Personally, I got around all this by taking a 60's reissue Mexi Strat and, with nothing but light grade steel wool, sandpaper, salt (to age machine heads), and coffee (to age plastic parts), I got something argueably authentic feeling/looking. Not Crap with a giant waffle for those limited run celebrity editions (18 grand for a remake of Clapton's Cream era 335 !!)

relic-ing a guitar is an art form, in and of itself not crap. the motivation for doing it is along the same lines as hiring a photographer for a band photo shoot to make you look all deep and introspective. crap.
hogrot
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

relic'ed/faux-vintage guitars

Postby Yngwie Einstein on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:27 pm

I don't get it. Why would anyone want to fuck up the look of their guitar just for appearance? You wouldn't do that to your own dick. It's not like it makes you play any better with a bruised cock/beat-up Strat.
Yngwie Einstein
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby m.koren on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:41 pm

hogrot wrote:
m.koren wrote:
alex maiolo wrote:
-A

relic-ing a guitar is an art form, in and of itself not crap. the motivation for doing it is along the same lines as hiring a photographer for a band photo shoot to make you look all deep and introspective. crap.

Not quite. Or maybe in a worst case scenario.
m.koren

Re: relic'ed/faux-vintage guitars

Postby hogrot on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Yngwie Einstein wrote:I don't get it. Why would anyone want to fuck up the look of their guitar just for appearance? You wouldn't do that to your own dick. It's not like it makes you play any better with a bruised cock/beat-up Strat.

yeah but relic-ing a guitar is more like penis enlargement than penis defacement. you sick pup.
hogrot
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap