98%

Total votes : 169

Periodic element: DEVO

Postby Andrew L. on Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:00 am

other bands i feel uncomfortable judging as crap/not crap are
The Cure
Dinosaur JR
Devo

Too bad. Unless you abstain. In which case, too bad for your status as red-blooded roustabout. Fucker. It’s one side or the other. Fence-sitting is for troglodytes and academics. Pussy. Asspunk. Fan of Wittgenstein, atavistic Dungeness Crab, sloth bear, bleb. Jesus/Hitler. Be a man. Or a woman. Crap or not Crap.*

I say, Not. (Based on my bipolar friend’s obsessive admiration and comprehensive collection of their films/videos and the fact that they are the only redeeming element in Neil Young’s Human Highway. That’s right – Dennis Hopper sucks in it)

*I did a search.Twice. Noughta. If I missed something, I apologize profusely.
Last edited by Andrew L. on Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby placeholder on Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:10 am

from shout on, their records were pretty godawful, but everything preceding that record guarantees them an easy NOT CRAP from me. for a good while there, devo could not be touched.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Mayfair on Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:34 am

NOT CRAP. Totally the opposite of CRAP!!

And, yes, while Shout and beyond smelled a bit like said crap, it was only the men of DEVO living out their own philosophy of de-evolution. They personified it. Who among us can take a joke (or conceptual art?) that far? WHO?!

Up until New Traditionalists = NOT CRAP
Living and breathing their own backward philosophy = NOT CRAP
Ponytails = CRAP (but again, part of the plan)
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Dylan on Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:53 pm

Total NOT CRAP. They made me the happy dork that I am today.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby 154 on Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:54 pm

And, yes, while Shout and beyond smelled a bit like said crap, it was only the men of DEVO living out their own philosophy of de-evolution. They personified it. Who among us can take a joke (or conceptual art?) that far? WHO?!

heh, i've never thought about it that way, it almost makes me appreciate those awful, awful records.

Are We Not Men? and Duty Now for the Future= Not Crap

the fact that it's very hard to find those 2 records, yet have about 5 different greatest hits compilations to choose from= Crap

Postby ChaseEnnea on Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:03 pm

I became a fan the day my brothef brought home their first record in 1978/79. I gave up after SHOUT, but the years before were so solid for them musically, they earn a concrete NOT CRAP. All those that called me a fag for admitting I liked DUTY NOW FOR THE FUTURE became fans in the coming months and years. One of the best shows I have seen was Devo at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago during the NEW TRADITIONALISTS tour.
ChaseEnnea
troll
troll

Postby aaron on Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:40 pm

Dylan wrote:Total NOT CRAP. They made me the happy dork that I am today.
aaron
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby endofanera on Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:45 pm

Perhaps the least crap of all bands. So utterly without crap that it's almost crappy. NOT CRAP.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby horsewhip on Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:08 pm

Not Crap. As Not Crap as AC/DC and Rudimentary Peni.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby punch_the_lion on Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:55 pm

The first two albums are great

the third and fourth are good despite some filler

everything else crap!

but Devo overall score a not crap!

the music videos not crap!

Mark Mothersbaugh as a tv/film composer mostly not crap!
punch_the_lion

Postby ironyengine on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:59 pm

Anyone that can find the video for the cover of "Are You Experienced" (my dad swears he saw it, it starts with a shoe ad gag or something?) will be my hero for the new millenium.

Seriously not crap.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Linus Van Pelt on Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:19 pm

ironyengine wrote:Anyone that can find the video for the cover of "Are You Experienced" (my dad swears he saw it, it starts with a shoe ad gag or something?) will be my hero for the new millenium.

Seriously not crap.

This guy appears to have what you're looking for. Legal? Probably not. Ethical? We could debate it. But some Googling told me that Hendrix' estate won't let them release it, so this may be as close asyou'll get.
Why do you make it so scary to post here.
Linus Van Pelt

Postby Mayfair on Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:08 pm

Linus Van Pelt wrote:
ironyengine wrote:Anyone that can find the video for the cover of "Are You Experienced" (my dad swears he saw it, it starts with a shoe ad gag or something?) will be my hero for the new millenium.

Seriously not crap.

This guy appears to have what you're looking for. Legal? Probably not. Ethical? We could debate it. But some Googling told me that Hendrix' estate won't let them release it, so this may be as close asyou'll get.

I do not understand. Won't let them release what? The song was on the 'Shout" LP on WB and I saw the video a bunch of times in the old days of MTV in high school. I never heard about them having to pull it from broadcast or anything, although I can understand why someone might say that. It features a Jimi Hendrix looking fellow busting out of a coffin to play the backwards guitar solo. Then upon finishing the solo, he is is sucked back into the coffin. That was the dumbest part of the video. The best is the crazy inflated suits DEVO are wearing. They keep inflating and deflating in strange place all over their bodies. Plus, they are floating in space. The opening scene is pretty funny. These two kids find a metal peace sign in the street. One says something like "what is that?". The other says "I dunno. I think it's a chicken foot". Then they say 'Bye bye" and throw it. It lands on a sidewalk and melts through and smoke comes up. DEVO (or maybe just Mark?) are riding their scooters and crash due to the smoke. It goes on to the inflatable suits from there as I remember. Good stuff.

Please tell me I did not just dream all of that up.
Mayfair

Postby Cranius on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:06 am

Mayfair wrote:It features a Jimi Hendrix looking fellow busting out of a coffin to play the backwards guitar solo. Then upon finishing the solo, he is is sucked back into the coffin. That was the dumbest part of the video.

I believe you're talking about this guy, Randy Hansen, the worlds only(?) Hendrix impersonator:

Everyone should own the DVD The Complete Truth About De-evolution, it is absolutely cast-iron Not Crap (even though 'Are You Experienced' is not included). There is even one video which I swear is the inspiration for OutKast's "Hey Ya!" video, even down to the colour scheme. I think it's "Girl U Want".

A great band with a flawless concept.
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Linus Van Pelt on Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:54 am

Mayfair wrote:
Linus Van Pelt wrote:

Seriously not crap.

This guy appears to have what you're looking for. Legal? Probably not. Ethical? We could debate it. But some Googling told me that Hendrix' estate won't let them release it, so this may be as close as you'll get.

I do not understand. Won't let them release what?

I'm sorry, you're right. What I meant was that it appears that the Hendrix estate won't let them release a new DVD with this video on it. The video is released, and "out there" - my mistake.
Why do you make it so scary to post here.
Linus Van Pelt

Postby ironyengine on Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:13 pm

The point here is I made a cry out for a hero, and a hero stepped up. Thank you Linus, even if that guy never writes me back you are now on my list.

No, not THAT list. This one's good, I swear.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:22 pm

If you asked me to name a greater band than Devo, I would be--perhaps for the first time in my life--speechless.

For recording the most revolutionary cover of all time ("Satisfaction"): NOT CRAP.

For exposing me to "punk rock" or "new wave" or whatever-the-fuck-you-wanna-call-it when I heard "Mongoloid" on Dr. Demento in the 8th grade: NOT CRAP.

For passing themselves off as "nerds" yet still busting out power chords and spread-legged guitar grandstanding like they were the coolest, sexiest guys alive: NOT CRAP.

For somehow getting their truly fucked up promotional movies on network television so that I could watch one in an Indianapolis motel room after my little league football team kicked some Hoosier team's ass, sharing a bottle of cherry vodka with a teammate in front of the tube while another teammate fingered one of our cheerleaders in the bed behind us: NOT CRAP.

For wearing plastic flower pots on their heads with elan: NOT CRAP.

For enduring the ravages of time and trend as admirably as any artist this side of Sabbath or Hank Williams: NOT CRAP.

Are We Not Crap? Never!!!
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Cranius on Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:28 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:For somehow getting their truly fucked up promotional movies on network television so that I could watch one in an Indianapolis motel room after my little league football team kicked some Hoosier team's ass, sharing a bottle of cherry vodka with a teammate in front of the tube while another teammate fingered one of our cheerleaders in the bed behind us: NOT CRAP.

Jocko Homo?

(joke!joke!)
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby aaron on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:32 am

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:For somehow getting their truly fucked up promotional movies on network television so that I could watch one in an Indianapolis motel room after my little league football team kicked some Hoosier team's ass, sharing a bottle of cherry vodka with a teammate in front of the tube while another teammate fingered one of our cheerleaders in the bed behind us: NOT CRAP.

was the booze at least partially for resigning yourself to the fact that you weren't the guy fingering the cheerleader? i didn't drink but DEVO definitely helped

or maybe you just had next
aaron
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby aaron on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:33 am

Cranius wrote:Jocko Homo?

(joke!joke!)

or resigning yourself to the fact that you weren't the cheerleader
aaron
avery fisher
avery fisher

Next