6%
not crap
81%
it all depends on whether jarboe is on the record
12%

Total votes : 232

band: swans

Postby segerandpriest on Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:57 am

this seems like a good way to figure out what's happening, if anything, with this band. i've got a cassette with "filth" and "cop" on it - and dig it, in a way - but dunno if the stuff afterwards, which i'm told veers in ambient directions, is worth my while or not. speak, people!
segerandpriest
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby ticdouloureaux on Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:51 pm

not crap
i like almost all of the gira material even his new stuff, not such a big fan of solo acoustic stuff.
a good record is gira drainland.........i see them all lined up
ticdouloureaux
redd foxx
redd foxx

Postby Redline on Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:40 pm

I always thought the Cop lp and the Raping A Slave 12" was the best- brutal! After that, Swans went disco w/ easy holy money or whatever. I never heard any of the Jarboe/ambient stuff, but enjoyed her keyboard work in the live video. pound pound pound.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby scelops on Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:28 pm

Spotty.

Periods of greatness interspliced with crap.

Filth through holy money=great. -Im not sure where anyone gets "disco" out of the SWANS, they may have been many things, -but never disco.

Children of god era= some good/some flaky.

burning world= total shit

after that they slowly get better but not much untill:

The Great Annihilator: Doesn't sound like any of the other albums, rock and roll, but bizzarre and slightly creepy.

And finally Soundtracks for the blind:

I guess some of this sounds ambeint at times, but it would be the best ambient ever made. Once again sounds nothing like earlier material... Inovative and weird in a dismal epic sort of way.

-wilson
scelops
casio
casio

Postby Angry_Dragon on Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:55 pm

NOT CRAP simply for this story.

When they were on tour with Sonic Youth in 83 or around there, in the middle of a song Gira jumps off stage and beats a kid up. He gets back on stage and apologizes to the kid and says I'm sorry, but you were having too much fun.
That my friends is the definition of punk rock or being an asshole/dick.

Oh, and their music ain't half bad either. I prefer Angels Of Light.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby ikilledfredmertz on Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:21 pm

I was going to make an m. gira poll, simply because he is one of the few artists i can think of that have had this much consistancy over 20 yrs. I'm sure people will argue with this, but most artists have a really good period and then 20 yrs down the road they still make an album every once in awhile, and your like "hey its not bad" but it really isnt very interesting, it seems like a vanity project. But when m. gira has a new album, it actually seems like a real album, something you would want to listen to more than once, something you would get excited about. Alot of people only like the "brootal" period swans, and while it is great, you know they couldnt have done that much longer, or they would have become a joke. And i think by changing they came up with some really great stuff. Angels of Light are even better than some of the later swans things.

NOT CRAP
ikilledfredmertz
secretary of the interior
secretary of the interior

Postby Angry_Dragon on Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:35 am

ikilledfredmertz wrote:I was going to make an m. gira poll, simply because he is one of the few artists i can think of that have had this much consistancy over 20 yrs. I'm sure people will argue with this, but most artists have a really good period and then 20 yrs down the road they still make an album every once in awhile, and your like "hey its not bad" but it really isnt very interesting, it seems like a vanity project. But when m. gira has a new album, it actually seems like a real album, something you would want to listen to more than once, something you would get excited about. Alot of people only like the "brootal" period swans, and while it is great, you know they couldnt have done that much longer, or they would have become a joke. And i think by changing they came up with some really great stuff. Angels of Light are even better than some of the later swans things.

NOT CRAP

You're right on even though you come from Skynyrd country.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby placeholder on Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:11 am

I voted "it all depends on whether jarboe is on the record", but what I really mean is "it all depends on whether Jarboe is singing". God, I loathe her highschool drama-club theatrics. The song "Hypogirl" alone is almost enough to put me off on Swans, and may have the silliest, yet most irritating vocals I have ever heard.

Swans, though, are still NOT CRAP. I just skip the Jarboe songs.

M. Gira solo and The Angels of Light are also NOT CRAP. "New City in the Future" is one of my favorite songs.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

swan song

Postby Redline on Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:16 pm

scelops wrote:
Im not sure where anyone gets "disco" out of the SWANS

Sorry, by "Disco" I meant less rhythmically interesting.

I'll have to listen to later Swans and the Angels Of Light, although that name makes me nervous. Solid "Not Crap" for Filth through to the live video thing.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

swans

Postby ticdouloureaux on Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:19 am

not crap just for soundtracks for the blind and swans are dead discs.......i like all of them but these two sum up the swans. violent and beautiful. angels of light are amazing.... great live
ticdouloureaux
redd foxx
redd foxx

Swans success/ my opinion

Postby Rednek on Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:56 am

My first Swans experience was THE burnING WORLD, so I didn't get hooked in to the dark violent insane stuff. I thought Children Of God was intense upon first listen, but now I find it interestingly laughable with an appreciation for it's use of timbrality, and dark atonal melodies, it's just that the lyrics seem deceiving and fraught with contrived expression. I think Burning world is probably the best album because it still has all of the flaws of the earlier material, but is a much better sounding album sonically and musically. The YOUNG GOD retrospectives are quite good, I haven't listened to BoDY LOVERS/HATERS entirely, and probably won't based on descriptions, as I'm more interested in Gira as a songwriter who has somehow kept himself alive despite being insane. The shadowy conspiracy of "why they never made it" is a bunch of promotional reverse psychology, they're bigger than shit!!!
Rednek
jock
jock

Postby chalst on Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:03 am

Greed is one of my all time favourite LPs, Children of God has excellent bits, can't say I've warmed to anything else they've done.
Definutely not crap, but very variable.
chalst
ensign
ensign

Postby Heliotropic on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:56 pm

The Great Annihilator is a fantastic record.
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby NerblyBear on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:05 pm

I'm not familiar with anything post-1986 or so, but Filth is a fantastic record. A huge, pummelling, intimidating beast of a sound. I can only imagine what it was like to see them live around this time, but I can't help but think it was more than a little intimidating. The only other band that I can think of that was this scary would probably be early Suicide.

Picturing them touring with Sonic Youth is a bit difficult. Early SY was such a goofy thing for all of its creepiness, but Swans were total destruction.
NerblyBear
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Mama Clortho on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:06 pm

Cop and The Great Annihilator are fantastic. I could give or take the rest.
Mama Clortho
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby rocker654 on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:12 pm

This is one of those bands that I have heard so many people talk about for 20 years, but don't actually have songs to play for me. Forgive me, but I scanned all the posts and could find no links to any of their songs. Since I do not like Sonic Youth in the least, (and that seems to be the big comparison) I will not go out and purchase any Swans songs until someone can refer me to a sample. I will keep a (somewhat) open mind until then.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby mega therion on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:33 am

Not crap (even though I did pick the "w/o Jarboe" option). Hearing "Cop" for the first time was a life-changing, pants-shitting moment. Fucking hellish.

Here's a sample, rocker, although I somehow doubt you'll enjoy it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHWqHz7dIPw
mega therion
Trygve Halvdan Lie
Trygve Halvdan Lie

Postby rocker654 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:44 am

Wrong. I did like it, much better than any Sonic Youth I ever heard.

I felt kind of an early Bauhaus and Flipper vibe from it. Even if that's an incorrect analogy for some of you, I like aggressive music. My expectations were exceeded. Thank you for sharing.

NOT CRAP.
rocker654

Postby Jodi S. on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:54 am

mega therion wrote: Hearing "Cop" for the first time was a life-changing, pants-shitting moment. Fucking hellish.

Minus the pants-shitting, but it was life-changing for me as well. It was the first time I had heard a band play "the music in my head" and it let me know it was okay to let that stuff out on tape.

Gira came to a show I played once, and I didn't see him until after I played. Which was a good thing because had I known he was there, it might have made me even more self-conscious than I already was.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby rashiedgarrison on Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:50 am

Not crap, even if I didn't really listen to anything after Children of God.

You all know the story about how when they played in London on the Children of God tour, their PA was so enormous that when it was switched on at the soundcheck, the physical force of the 'turning on' sound knocked one of the big beefy bouncers over?

That's class.
rashiedgarrison
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap