Stones VS Zep

Stones
47%
Zep
53%

Total votes : 89

Thunderdome: Led Zeppelin VS Rolling Stones

Postby NerblyBear on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 pm

This is a close call, but I have to go w/ the Rolling Stones. I say this despite the fact that I listened to a live version of "Stairway" today and it made me cry actual tears, like a little girl. (Yeah, I'm a pussy.) The song is so fucking beautiful that I was feeling like I was actually in heaven, looking back on my past life and just digging everything that had happened. But then I watched a live performance from '70 and I dried up like a cock in the orifice of a Golden Girl. The magic had been dispelled.

Words can't express how much more I love Charlie Watts' drumming than I appreciate John Bonham's drumming. Bonham's drumming is hard-hitting, but it's got no swing, no rhythm. It's pure caveman bop.

Keith Richards is the master of the riff. There's obviously no question about that. Page came up with some tremendous riffage -- "Rock & Roll," "Moby Dick," etc. -- and Page had that acoustic Nick Drake/Joni Mitchell hoo-ha going on III, which was his best material, obviously. But Bonham's solo on "Moby Dick" needs to go sit in the corner for 45 minutes while all the other kids go out to play Dodgeball for recess. Someone said that the song's title sounded like a new-fangled venereal disease, and all I can say is, "Bonham's solo should be clapped much less than a young Captain Ahab was clapped."

Okay, now I'm going to throw down the gauntlet and I'm guaranteed to get tons of shit from the peanut gallery for this one:

The Stones knew how to play the blues, while Led Zep had no clue how to play the blues. That's just an objective fact, as objective as saying that the earth revolves around the sun, or that Elvis Costello needs to stop making albums. Jon Spencer will back me up on this one. He said, "Yeah, we play a type of blues music. The real blues, not the sort of 'blues' that Jimmy Page tried to play."

I want everyone to admit the following: while Led Zep's mid-period material is pretty grand, the band's first two albums are unlistenable amalgamations of scud-rock Marshall-amp Leslie West lard, and that everything after Houses of the Holy suffers from lackluster, heroin-induced professionalism. Admit it.

Oh, and obviously "Stones" here means '68-'75 Stones.
Last edited by NerblyBear on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gay People Rock
NerblyBear
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Rick Reuben on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:00 pm

I like how the same guy who promised to redefine Hamlet for the world has now set out to redefine Led Zeppelin.
NerblyBear, feb 3, 2007 wrote:Once again, let me reiterate: Led Zeppelin renders Black Sabbath even nonexistent by comparison. If a book were to sum up the highlights of rock history, Led Zeppelin would be accorded the first chapter,

NerblyBear, april 23, 2007 wrote:Led Zeppelin rules. Jimmy Page is awesome.

Look at my new .sig.
Rick Reuben

Postby punch_the_lion on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:04 pm

I hate comparing. This is like apples or oranges for me. eh.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby syntaxfree07 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:05 pm

The Stones are to Led Zeppelin what the MC5 and The Clash are to great punk rock bands.

For that alone, they lose.

Zeppelin. For sincerity.
boombats wrote:Zumba Sally and iPad Phil are crying into their lattes, and I don't give a shit.
syntaxfree07
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Ernest on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Zeppelin, and I don't even like Zep.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Sebastian J. on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Black Sabbath
Sebastian J.

Postby Pasta on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 pm

EAT

A

DICK

the motherfucking STONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:35 pm

Pasta wrote:EAT

A

DICK

motherfucking ZEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYP
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Re: Thunderdome: Led Zeppelin VS Rolling Stones

Postby mr.arrison on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:44 pm

NerblyBear wrote:Bonham's drumming is hard-hitting, but it's got no swing, no rhythm. It's pure caveman bop.

NERBLY, STOP THE MADNESS
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Dr. O' Nothing on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:10 am

NerblyBear wrote:
The Stones knew how to play the blues, while Led Zep had no clue how to play the blues. That's just an objective fact, as objective as saying that the earth revolves around the sun, or that Elvis Costello needs to stop making albums. Jon Spencer will back me up on this one. He said, "Yeah, we play a type of blues music. The real blues, not the sort of 'blues' that Jimmy Page tried to play."

Jon Spencer is your source for what constitutes authenticity in blues music?
Dr. O' Nothing
life
life

Postby John Houlihan on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:17 am

Mick Taylor.
John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Rick Reuben on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:24 am

NerblyBear, April 23, 2007 wrote:Personally, I think that Led Zep's music holds up better than that of any of their contemporaries. Partly this is due to the clear, no-frills, no-bullshit production. It's also, in part, due to the wonderful melodies and entrancing vocals featured on songs such as "Stairway to Heaven" and "Ramble On".

In fact, I would be hard-pressed to name another "classic rock" band (you know, one of the kind that is played on blue-collar radio stations) whose music remains just as fresh and invigorating today. The Stones? No way.
I think you might be listening to too much blue-collar radio.
Rick Reuben

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:24 am

Sebastian J. wrote:Black Sabbath
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Gramsci on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:57 am

I dislike the Stones immensely. I've never put one of their records on and never will.

Zep.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby ssakmule on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:15 am

I dislike the Stones especially after how they sodomized the Verve for the rights to their song, "Bittersweet Symphony" (once it became a massive hit). This considering the fact that the Verve had legally sampled an orchestral version of some obscure rolling stones song. Greed at it's best & ironical since they had many 'influenced', tunes themselves, from blues artists. Atleast Zeppelin spawned Microsoft-->DOS---> first version of windows & eventually Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V, which we use today. Zeppelin.
ssakmule
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby etch on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:36 am

ssakmule wrote:I dislike the Stones especially after how they sodomized the Verve for the rights to their song, "Bittersweet Symphony" (once it became a massive hit). This considering the fact that the Verve had legally sampled an orchestral version of some obscure rolling stones song. Greed at it's best & ironical since they had many 'influenced', tunes themselves, from blues artists. Atleast Zeppelin spawned Microsoft-->DOS---> first version of windows & eventually Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V, which we use today. Zeppelin.

Many believe that the Stones actually stole that song (The Last Time from Out of Our Heads) in the first place from the Staples Singers. It's a tough call as it is a standard. The version that the Verve swiped was on an Andrew Loog Oldham orchestral album that came out in '66. There was a lot of 'borrowing' going on with both the Stones and Zeppelin throughout their careers, Zeppelin from old blues standards and the Stones doing the same but also lifting from song writing 'jams' from people like Ry Cooder.

I like most of the Zeppelin albums a lot but if I had to choose I would go Stones for the Beggars through Exile period. Zeppelin luckily broke up before it got embarrassing, the Stones unfortunately, are still around.

All that being said, Bonham is the greatest rock drummer ever, no question.
etch
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby johnnyshape on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:02 am

ssakmule wrote:I dislike the Stones especially after how they sodomized the Verve for the rights to their song, "Bittersweet Symphony" (once it became a massive hit). This considering the fact that the Verve had legally sampled an orchestral version of some obscure rolling stones song. Greed at it's best & ironical since they had many 'influenced', tunes themselves, from blues artists. Atleast Zeppelin spawned Microsoft-->DOS---> first version of windows & eventually Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V, which we use today. Zeppelin.

Actually it was Allen Klein who did the sodomizing (scroll down). Apparently he did an verbal agreement to 25% or something and dawdled signing anything until about a week before release, when it was obviously going to be a massive hit, and then demanded 100% with lawyer menaces. Total old-school hustler/bastard.
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby tommydski on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:12 am

Steven Wright wrote:The Stones.

I love the Stones. Can't believe they're still out there doing it after all this time.

Fred, Wilma, Pebbles...
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Devin D. Dixon on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:31 am

NerblyBear wrote: Bonham's drumming is hard-hitting, but it's got no swing, no rhythm. It's pure caveman bop.

You sure you weren't listening to Def Leppard or something? I can't think of many rock songs that "swing" as hard as "Black Dog".

Keith Richards is the master of the riff. There's obviously no question about that.

He's pretty good. But he didn't write "Black Dog". Or "Supernaught", for that matter.

Page came up with some tremendous riffage -- "Rock & Roll," "Moby Dick," etc. -- and Page had that acoustic Nick Drake/Joni Mitchell hoo-ha going on III, which was his best material, obviously. But Bonham's solo on "Moby Dick" needs to go sit in the corner for 45 minutes while all the other kids go out to play Dodgeball for recess. Someone said that the song's title sounded like a new-fangled venereal disease, and all I can say is, "Bonham's solo should be clapped much less than a young Captain Ahab was clapped."

LOL pitchfork internship application.

The Stones knew how to play the blues, while Led Zep had no clue how to play the blues.

LOL judges rock bands by their ability to play other types of music.

Jon Spencer will back me up on this one. He said, "Yeah, we play a type of blues music. The real blues, not the sort of 'blues' that Jimmy Page tried to play."

LOL believes that Jon Spencer is an arbiter of authenticity.
Devin D. Dixon
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby NerblyBear on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:06 am

Bonham is ass.
Gay People Rock
NerblyBear

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap