?

I'm a Nazi schatze: Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, Tommy
50%
Der Menschmaschine: Ralf, Florian, Wolfgang, Karl
50%

Total votes : 113

Ramones vs. Kraftwerk

Postby ctrl-s on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:21 am

Arguably the two most influential groups of the 1970s. Polar opposites, mirror images, minimalist pioneers, wonderfully complementary if listened to back-to-back.

Whom do you prefer? Who looked cooler? Whose influence was more profound and lasting? Or do they both suck moose cock as far as you're concerned? Impossible. Choose. Explain.

[The second poll option should be "Die Mensch-Maschine." Scheiße.]
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby HOUSTON_M on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:47 am

Both the Ramones and Kraftwerk are very overrated, in my opinion.
HOUSTON_M

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:37 am

Damn. Interesting poll.

Not really too hard, though.

The Ramones. In terms of overall quality, they had more good albums than Kraftwerk ever did.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Piasek on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:56 am

HOUSTON_M wrote:Both the Ramones and Kraftwerk are very overrated, in my opinion.

not very much but a little bit, yes.
Piasek
grand
grand

Postby thyklopth on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:53 am

Piasek wrote:
HOUSTON_M wrote:Both the Ramones and Kraftwerk are very overrated, in my opinion.

not very much but a little bit, yes.

Yep
"In some way, perhaps it is the uncool things that we like despite ourselves, that makes us unique. People take a lot of crap here for owing up to their lapses in accepted good taste, but I intend to celebrate it." -Anthony Flack
thyklopth
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama

Postby ctrl-s on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:13 am

Whether or not you think their critical and popular reception was/is deserved, no Ramones and no Kraftwerk = no music as we know it since 1976. "I am not responding but posting in yawning superior blase mode" should've been a voting option, apparently.
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby thyklopth on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:21 pm

ctrl-s wrote:Whether or not you think their critical and popular reception was/is deserved, no Ramones and no Kraftwerk = no music as we know it since 1976. "I am not responding but posting in yawning superior blase mode" should've been a voting option, apparently.

I'm sure there are many more like me who managed to thrive and create
despite never having heard them.
"In some way, perhaps it is the uncool things that we like despite ourselves, that makes us unique. People take a lot of crap here for owing up to their lapses in accepted good taste, but I intend to celebrate it." -Anthony Flack
thyklopth
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama

Postby ubercat on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:34 pm

Kraftwerk.

If you remove Ramones from history the hole isn't as large as the one left by removing Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk invented electronic pop and had a huge effect on Industrial music. If based on modern sampling alone Kraftwerk invented just about everything James Brown didn't.

Plus, I'm not all that big a Ramones fan. German bias also kicking in.
ubercat
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby ctrl-s on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:43 pm

thyklopth: Great, and your point is?

ubercat: I tend to agree (voted Kraftwerk by a hair for similar reasons, though I could've just as easily gone with Ramones on nostalgic/sentimental grounds) but: no Ramones, no punk rock. Just sayin'.
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby steve on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:56 pm

ubercat wrote:If you remove Ramones from history the hole isn't as large as the one left by removing Kraftwerk.

I love Kraftwerk, but you out yo damn mind.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby ubercat on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:15 pm

steve wrote:
ubercat wrote:If you remove Ramones from history the hole isn't as large as the one left by removing Kraftwerk.

I'm pretty sure punk would have congealed without Ramones. 1,000 monkeys with typewriters...
ubercat

Postby ctrl-s on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:34 pm

I don't know, earlier noisy/primitive tendencies in American rock (like Cleveland "proto-punk") seems like it might have been too volatile and fragmented and anti-commercial and Stooges-duplicating to spread widely and coalesce into a major shift. The Ramones benefited from being in the right place among the right people at the right time AND from bringing together really disparate strands (Beach Boys, Charles Manson, life in Forest Hills) with unique originality, humor, and unpretentiousness. Life-changing.

But obviously there are millions of people who don't like / have never heard / could give a flying fuck about the Ramones or punk rock, whereas EVERYONE has heard -- and, I'll wager, enjoyed -- at least some music that has been directly influenced by Kraftwerk, whether or not they wanted to or even knew it. Both are fantastic, but in terms of global and historical significance, Kraftwerk takes it. Also I'm on a massive Kraftwerk kick these days; though my enjoyment of them isn't nearly as context-specific (i.e. in reaction to shitty radio fare, being a teenager, etc.), it's not less.

I expected Ramones to walk away with this poll on this forum.
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:11 pm

ubercat wrote:
steve wrote:

I'm pretty sure punk would have congealed without Ramones. 1,000 monkeys with typewriters...

Sure, but given that...The Ramones were those thousand monkeys with typewriters...if it hadn't been them, it would've been somebody like them
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Piasek on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:14 pm

ctrl-s wrote:Whether or not you think their critical and popular reception was/is deserved, no Ramones and no Kraftwerk = no music as we know it since 1976. "I am not responding but posting in yawning superior blase mode" should've been a voting option, apparently.

wrong. what about the stooges?
Piasek
grand
grand

Postby ctrl-s on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:21 pm

"Since 1976," I said. Do you think that without punk rock, sparked by bands like, say, the Ramones, the Stooges influence would've taken root and spread as it has since then?
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby lemur68 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:30 pm

ctrl-s wrote:EVERYONE has heard -- and, I'll wager, enjoyed -- at least some music that has been directly influenced by Kraftwerk, whether or not they wanted to or even knew it.

Even Coldplay fans.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68

Postby ctrl-s on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:31 pm

Knew that'd come up. I've never heard it and never want to. It does kind of prove the point, though.
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Ekkssvvppllott on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:19 pm

If for some strange reason I was allowed to be either a Ramone or an official member of Kraftwerk (complete with corresponding robot), I would choose to be a member of Kraftwerk. In a fucking heartbeat. Hell, take away the robot and I'd still rather be in Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk.
Last edited by Ekkssvvppllott on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
busbus wrote:I threaten The States with my inevitable exodus on a regular basis.
Ekkssvvppllott
almost 1000 posts
almost 1000 posts

Postby motorbike guy on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:10 pm

Kraftwerk seemed like an interesting science experiment to me. The music - meh. No Ballz.

the Ramones, on the other hand are all Ballz.

Ramonse - FTW.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby lemur68 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:10 pm

the$inmusicisallmine wrote:Kraftwerk seemed like an interesting science experiment to me. The music - meh. No Ballz.

the Ramones, on the other hand are all Ballz.

Ramonse - FTW.

So jocks > nerds.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap