Big Black.

The BB is not crap
93%
Yes, the BB is crap
7%

Total votes : 149

Big Black

Postby Nina on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:16 pm

I came across the following paragraph on this guys blog. It made me laugh, I though I'd share.

This infamous group's industrial disco is grounded in unforgiving beats and guitars; in fact leader Steve Albini's career would come to be defined by his ability to produce harsh, uncompromising sounds for the likes of Nirvana and PJ Harvey. But back in 1986 the idea was new: there is a real sense of invention here. By the mid 1980s there were few new places to take dance-rock fusions but out to the extremes. Big Black's use of a primitive drum machine (a Roland TR 606 machine they affectionately list among the group's members as, er, “Roland”) added precision tooled percussion. A James Brown-influenced bassist provided the dance-oriented undertow that would flow through to more famous industrial rock outfits such as Ministry. Albini thinks about aesthetics when he makes his music, and his belief is that all music should be deeply challenging. This marks him out as art rock, although I wouldn't accuse him of helping us to understand Mussolini very deeply. He claims that his choice of lyrics and subject matter are sick jokes deliberately designed to offend hipsters and squares, but there are many that have never entirely been convinced of that, especially in the face of an austere purism that persists in his music to this day.

Searching for a c/nc to post this in, I found to not only my surprise, that there is no c/nc for the almighty BB, which in my opinion, is criminal.

I will give BB a hearty NOT CRAP. Although I do enjoy me some Shellac now and again, BB is spinning on my turntable much more often. Disco (in whatever form) never sounded so good.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Heliotropic on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:31 pm

I like Big Black a lot, but I'm only able to listen to them when I'm in a vindictive mood.
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Everytime I hear Passing Complexion, I get the creeps.

Not Crap at all.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Nina on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:37 pm

Heliotropic wrote:I like Big Black a lot, but I'm only able to listen to them when I'm in a vindictive mood.

Ain't no Yanni, that's for sure.
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Big Black

Postby a. james on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Nina wrote:Searching for a c/nc to post this in, I found to not only my surprise, that there is no c/nc for the almighty BB, which in my opinion, is criminal.
that's because everyone here agrees that big black sucks the dong.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Re: Big Black

Postby Nina on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:43 pm

that damned fly wrote:
Nina wrote:Searching for a c/nc to post this in, I found to not only my surprise, that there is no c/nc for the almighty BB, which in my opinion, is criminal.
that's because everyone here agrees that big black sucks the dong.

Bite me.

This is not a poll about your sex life, fly.
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Model Citizen on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:56 pm

I started listening to Big Black around the same time I started playing music and I listened to them constantly at the time. Everything i wrote for like a year sounded like an awful Big Black ripoff. Great band.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Of course Big Black is not crap.

I will say, though, that Atomizer, for me, is far and away the best thing the band ever did and that, while side one of Songs About Fucking is great, side two doesn't measure up. The EP's range from great (Racer-X) to fascinating-but-flawed (Bulldozer, Headache) to just "meh" (Lungs, of course).

I always did wonder why "Rema-Rema," "Il Duce" and "In My House" never got on to The Hammer Party, though. That would've been great.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:33 pm

AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Mazec on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:46 pm

SecondEdition wrote: to just "meh" (Lungs, of course).

I've heard a lot of this anti-Lungs jabber on this board, and frankly I just don't get it. Sometimes I wonder if the naysayers are actually hearing the same thing I'm hearing. While I generally view all of Big Black's work as being at the top of the scale, Lungs stands apart from the rest. Most of its tracks have a wierdness value incomparable with anything from BB's subsequent records. Its sparcity gives it a more ominous undertone than any of the later albums, which admitedly were much more hard rockin'. Over 25 years later, Lungs still sounds dangerous and distinctly alien and set the bar pretty high for its successor albums.

Salut, Lungs!
Mazec
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:51 pm

Steve V. wrote: So fuck, I'm expecting to be sued by Durango/Albini/Riley/Pezzati/Roland whenever I get a record together. Sucks to admit that.

Ouch.

Then again, that track you contributed to the contest did sound like the beloved younger brother of "Passing Complexion."

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Lungs is one of my favorite Big Black records, maybe my favorite, but I don't think I would appreciate it nearly as much if I hadn't heard all their other stuff

Kind of like how my favorite Country Teasers albums is the Idiots v. Savants ep, etc (I thought I would be able to come up with more examples, but not right now)

When I really love an band and hear everything by them I start to place more value on their weirdest stuff, I guess because it still retains that quality of elusiveness and new sound I felt when I heard the band for the first time. Make sense?
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:31 pm

Steve V. wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:
Steve V. wrote: So fuck, I'm expecting to be sued by Durango/Albini/Riley/Pezzati/Roland whenever I get a record together. Sucks to admit that.

Ouch.

Then again, that track you contributed to the contest did sound like the beloved younger brother of "Passing Complexion."

Told you.

Yeah, but I didn't say that was necessarily a bad thing. I liked that one more than many of the others, just because it was so atypical, and the title was great.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Marsupialized on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:33 pm

Lungs is good overall, the songs and ideas are good but some of it has not aged well at all.
The demo versions of the Lungs songs I have on some cassette I bought somewhere years and years ago are much better than the actual Lungs versions.
There's an instrumental on the cassette that rules that they never put out anywhere else as far as I know.
It's got a bunch of radio station jabber and some dude reading a review of the demo as well. Anyone else have this cassette?
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby John Houlihan on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:09 pm

Big Black is good.

I like Rapeman better.

I like Shellac better than Rapeman.

I'm sure I'm in the minority.
John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby fedaykin13 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:14 pm

Dr. Venkman wrote:Big Black is good.

I like Rapeman better.

I like Shellac better than Rapeman.

I'm sure I'm in the minority.

For me it's

Rapeman (although if they had put out more albums it could be different)
Big Black
Shellac (favorite)
Tommy Alpha wrote:fedaykin13 is right

I play bass in the Blood Sucking Fiends
http://www.prfsinglesclub.com/
fedaykin13
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby WoundedFoot on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Mazec wrote:
SecondEdition wrote: to just "meh" (Lungs, of course).

I've heard a lot of this anti-Lungs jabber on this board, and frankly I just don't get it. Sometimes I wonder if the naysayers are actually hearing the same thing I'm hearing. While I generally view all of Big Black's work as being at the top of the scale, Lungs stands apart from the rest. Most of its tracks have a wierdness value incomparable with anything from BB's subsequent records. Its sparcity gives it a more ominous undertone than any of the later albums, which admitedly were much more hard rockin'. Over 25 years later, Lungs still sounds dangerous and distinctly alien and set the bar pretty high for its successor albums.

Salut, Lungs!

Lungs in Not Crap for Steelworker and Dead Billy alone...and "I Can Be Killed", which sounds like it was an outtake from a Chrome album.

Big Black is Not Crap and don't count on many PRFers voting otherwise.
WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby ctrl-s on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:59 pm

Seeing Big Black in a tiny club in 1983 was a real life-ruiner, I'll tell you that. Not of the crap.
"I swear to God if you ever turn in a piece of shit like this to me again I will flunk your ass. I shit you not." -- DFW
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby fishingrhod on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:03 am

the 3 lps that changed my world forever?

Evol, Isn't Anything and Atomizer.

NC
boxer wrote:Once my friend dreamt he was eating an apple and awoke to find my cock in his mouth.
fishingrhod
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby John Houlihan on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:01 am

thatdamnedfly just Kerbled your ass without even linking it.

That's a serious

Kerble
John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap